[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boss wants me to use Windows because apparently libreoffice isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: whatisalibrary.jpg (100KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
whatisalibrary.jpg
100KB, 1200x675px
Boss wants me to use Windows because apparently libreoffice isn't good enough. I did notice over thing though, libraries is a very useful feature. What is the Linux equivalent?
>>
>>58421317
/home/user/music/
/home/user/documents/

etc
>>
Use office online.
>>
>>58421356
/Thread
>>
>>58421351
This
More then 1 folder to keep your (lets say) music is retarded
If you really want a library kinda thing just make softlinks
>>
>>58421317
>>58421351
And for the super lazy
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_user_directories
>>
Quit your current job and find one that respects your freedom
>>
>>58421351
Libraries do a lot more than just store files though. What if I want to tag my videos by rating or documents by finished or not finished?
>>
>>58421448
write it yourself
>>
File: meme-distro.png (50KB, 816x535px) Image search: [Google]
meme-distro.png
50KB, 816x535px
>>58421317
>>
File: This_PC.jpg (87KB, 950x543px) Image search: [Google]
This_PC.jpg
87KB, 950x543px
>>58421723
W10 explorer is GOAT
>>
>>58421379

>i-it's retarded
>I don't need it anyway
>>
>>58421317
>libraries is a very useful feature
That's one of the things I never use, and I've been using W7 since before release. I hate libraries because the view is so different from the details folderview.
Check out http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html
It's especially handy if you have a program that points to a folder with your music in it, but you want the folder to physically exist elsewhere (like another hard drive). I did that because I have like 20GB of music/music videos and a 128GB SSD. Since the music does not need to be loaded super quickly (I play 1 file at a time obviously), I moved the entire folder to a 1TB HDD and made a wormhole to the drive. The other benefit is that the program I use to organize my music into playlists doesn't know the difference, so there are no "missing file" problems.
>>
>>58421747
yeah it also reports the contents of all your folders to Microshit. Cortana is a nosy bitch.
>>
>>58421747
I hate how this looks so much. It's so fucking ugly.
I only ever want to see hard drives in My Computer.
Also since you use the left-hand nav view, you could just drag all of those folders in the main view into the nav view. Make them part of a single group.
>>
>>58421317
I never ever used this shit.
>>
>>58421747
kek they are literally pushing the limit of shitty icons i can take to either purge this shit or downgrade to 8.1 so i can play shitty blizzard games.
>>
Funny story.
After using Windows for over 18 years, this week is the first time I migrated all of my media to the library folder, for the first time and removed the D: partition, where I used to store my media before.

I used to be very paranoid about storing data on the same disk as Windows, as it was grounds to getting your shit fucked up if Windows decided to not work.
But I've been using the same install of W7 for over 7 years with no problems, so I guess there's nothing scary about keeping shit in C: after all.
>>
>>58421747
Wait... those are not the default icons, are they?
>>
>>58421317
>Boss wants me to use Windows because
it's not a hobby OS for basement dwellers with no hope of ever getting a job.
>>
>>58421940
Obviously not. I have used Windows 10 for a year before switching to Loonix. This was probably the earlier builds in tech review.

Windows 10 UI changes with every major update.
>>
File: Capture.png (89KB, 1175x890px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89KB, 1175x890px
>>58421776
It' actually not bad
>>
>>58421874
You can direct your libraries to a folder on another HDD. No need to completely move files.
>>
>>58422039
>those shit fonts
>that shit font rendering
>that shit scaling

never again
>>
>>58422062
>autism and memes

You know what to do.
>>
>>58422058
Nah, it's inconvenient because copying/moving files from one partition to another requires actual physical writes, rather than just instantly changing the address when copying from one partition to the same.
>>
>>58422062
I actually don't get why GNU/Linux users act so haughty about fonts and font rendering.

Having used several different distros, default fonts and rendering are horrendous.

The dejavu, droid and liberation font families are complete garbage.
>>
File: 00.png (8KB, 524x107px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
8KB, 524x107px
>>58422076
I really wish Windows had these basic features. With every version update, they lock down more updates and treat the user like an idiot.

>>58422103
When you use Linux regularly and go back to Windows, you immediately notice the difference in render quality.
>>
File: 135682253456.jpg (23KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
135682253456.jpg
23KB, 432x432px
>>58421317
>libraries is a very useful feature
>>
>>58421765
What are you hiding?

She doesn't seem to mind all my anime or loli hentai.
>>
>>58422115
I go back and forth from GNU/Linux and my W7 install every 4 hours or so.

I had to pirate helvetica because the default sans serifs were all terrible.
>>
>>58422133
Nothing. I don't like the idea of my preferences and browsing habits being profiled for advertisers. Windows Store automatically downloads apps to your system that fit your profile using your bandwidth without your permission. Even disabling the silent install apps from regedit does not stop this, it re-downloads them again if you remove them.

I am not your typical Linux user, I used Windows for 15 years but one year with Windows 10 I was furious with how they violated my privacy and control over my own installation.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3mjwn5/do_any_popular_linux_file_systems_support/

Reddit ahead in the useful discussion game.
>>
>What is the Linux equivalent?
Symbolic links, which actually work.
Libraries is a cute idea but is implemented like shit.
>>
>>58422163
>automatically downloads apps to your system that fit your profile using your bandwidth without your permission
lolol i've been running windows 10 literally since before it launched for the public, what kind of garbage propaganda have you been reading?

That has simply never happened, and none of that start menu advertisements have happened to me either.

How the fuck are you gonna tell me it downloads things automatically and my windows store hasn't downloaded a SINGLE app (because I dont use the windows store like a retard)

Again, this is on the same windows install i've been using since day one, and my laptop with W10 hasn't done anything like that either.
>>
>>58421765
proofs? or are you just memeing
>>
>>58422210
>what kind of garbage propaganda have you been reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKJMsJ-6XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

I used Windows 10 for more than a year incl the latest 1607 update. Clean install, not some bullshit OEM version.
>>
File: 2017-01-10 11_42_51-Settings.png (2KB, 293x65px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-10 11_42_51-Settings.png
2KB, 293x65px
>>58422255
>not some bullshit OEM version
yawn

My laptop has a clean install from 2 months ago.

None of what you're talking about has happened to me. Literally no apps have been automatically downloaded for me (lol fucking kill yourself for pretending that happens)
>>
>>58422255
https://youtu.be/p7M7LsDenyc?t=4m43s

Is it wrong that I get my kicks watching people have issues with W10?
>>
>>58422297
I don't know what 3rd party apps you have in place to block Store, but nearly everyone who installed anniversary update had this issue and there was a shit storm on /g/ about it.

Just because you are ignorant does not mean the problem doesn't exist.
>>
>>58422321
he's a big guy
>>
>>58422354
I have no 3rd party apps installed as I have made it my mission to experience vanilla W10 just so I could come into these threads and shit on retards like you claiming W10 does all this bullshit it has literally NEVER done on my machines.

My laptop I installed netflix from the windows app store and that's it, nothing else has been downloaded and installed from there. This is a laptop with a fresh install of the latest release as of late November 2016.

My desktop has been on the insider preview versions since before the launch of W10.

Are there issues with W10? Sure. But muh privacy and muh advertisements or whatever bullshit about auto downloading apps, just haven't happened to me what so ever. I can obviously only speak from personal experience, but from my personal experience you look like a lying piece of shit who's paranoid about nothing.

Keep pretending W7 is better if you feel like it, but there is a reason most people moved on to W10, and it isn't just because it was free (though that certainly helped)
>>
You can use microsoft office on linux as well, how dense are you?
Libraries are called directories on linux.
You can make symbolic links using
ln -s org dist
if you want to have a weird structure.
Most file managers can also do this for you by dragging one directory to another.
>>
>>58422430
>it's a linuxfag thinks he knows what he's talking about episode
>>
>>58421317
>not running office 2007 on WINE

shoo shoo poo in loo back to mumbai with you
>>
>>58422463
is libraries something different?
I haven't used windows since xp, so I assumed that the "documents" library was just a way to get to all directories that contains documents.
Is that wrong?
>>
>>58422569
you could get something "similar" on Linux

but not as straightforward as making a symlink
>>
>>58422321
omg the qt at 10:00 :3
>>
office.live.com is free, you just need Microsoft account/live.
>>
>>58422642
The straight forward way is to have a directory called documents in home.
But say you want to have your owncloud or something in another directory, you could simply make a symlink so it all appears to be in the documents directory if you want.

If you need to make more than 5, then you have a bigger problem.
>>
>>58422163
Been using Windows 10 since it was released. Never seen this happen or even heard of it happening. You need a tinfoil hat.
>>
>>58422707
Libraries are more than just links to files though. They contain a bit more extra data and are supported specially throughout the OS
>>
>>58421317
Not this fucking meme again. Libre is adequate if youre someone's grandmother, otherwise it's shit.
>>
>>58421317
>libraries is a very useful feature. What is the Linux equivalent?

every modern DE creates those directories in your home, with fancy icons and everything. If you use a non-English locale, they even call the directories in your locale and set a config file up so programs can find them.
>>
>>58422062
I'll never understand why cleartype isn't supported in the UI. It looks so fucking bad.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.