[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never used a trackpoint, how do they work? How precise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5464.jpg (67KB, 1000x869px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5464.jpg
67KB, 1000x869px
I've never used a trackpoint, how do they work? How precise are they? how different it is from using something like a gamepad analog stick for example?
>>
They're good but only for short bursts of movements between typing. Way more precise than a controller stick but not great for fast movements back and forth.

You also have some slight drift which automatically corrects after a few seconds since the system doesn't know. Instead it resets it back based on the movement being the same direction whether short or long.
>>
>>58420107
You place your finger in the middle, apply a bit of pressure and move your finger in the direction you want the cursor to move to.
You can control the velocity with the pressure you apply.
It is a "good enough" controller.
The strength lies in that it doesn't take up much space and you don't have to move your hands away from the keyboard to use it.
It is good enough for everyday use, but I wouldn't use it for something that requires a lot of cursor movement, such as games, drawing and stuff like that.

A very good property of the trackpoint is that you can perform mouse clicks without moving the cursor.

I have the thinkpad keyboard on my desktop as well, having the same keyboard everywhere has proved to be very useful.
On the desktop, I always have access to both a regular mouse and the trackpoint, and I have found that I use the mouse for most things.
>>
I find the clit to be more precise than the trackpad. Not for drawing and such, but for clicking around a UI, navigating menus and selecting text.
>>
File: kb-trackpad.jpg (68KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
kb-trackpad.jpg
68KB, 850x638px
>>58420107
They're kind of like a joystick but they hardly move at all. I use mine all the time because it's right next to your hands in the home row, and it feels more comfortable to use than swiping over a touchpad.
Also, scrolling with it is great, much better than having to use touchpad gestures. You just hold down the blue middle button seen in the pic and move up and down to scroll.
>>
>>58420107
I would prefer a trackpoint over a trackpad any day. To me this thing (at least the Thinkpad version) is as percise as a mouse.
>>
Good mouse > 3 button TrackPoint > 2 button TrackPoint > trackpad
>>
>>58420363
BTW I forgot to mention that you should use it at medium sensitivity in the beginning and increase sensitivity as you get used to it. Myself and a lot of Thinkpad users in general like their trackpoint at maximum sensitivity. It's probably the best mouse replacement out there. I'm even thinking about buying a Lenovo USB keyboard so I can use the trackpad on my desktop too.
>>
>>58420107
Love it. When I had my first laptop with it I didn't use trackpad at all, and when I bought another one, I cought one that didn't have trackpad at all.
>>
>>58420107
because of this I'm never gonna buy any other laptop than a thinkpad
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.