[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/. Can someone explain to me why motherboards have fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: fpbxjds4.png (2MB, 970x1343px) Image search: [Google]
fpbxjds4.png
2MB, 970x1343px
Hey /g/. Can someone explain to me why motherboards have fan connectors chaotically placed all over the board?
Can't the manufacturers just have one central fan control unit on the motherboard, and provide an additional mini-board with tons of fan connectors on it which can go anywhere in the case and connect to all the fans, while it is connected to the fan control on the mobo?
I know about fan controllers that come with some cases and 3rd party shit, but why don't mobo brands themselves adopt this and save space on the motherboards by centralizing shit?
>>
>>58419952
>additional mini-board
increased production costs is probably the biggest reason.
>>
>>58419988
I don't think it's that dramatic.
The fan control/connector doesn't exactly need updating once you have established a proper setup thanks to the simplicity of its function.
In the worst case scenario, they can rely on a 3rd party.
They'd also save up on reducing fan connector bloat on the motherboard itself.
>>
>>58419952
Connector near the top for top fan, connector near the rear for rear fan, connector near the front for front fan.

Come on, use the big organ between your ears.
>>
>>58420015
>another connector for the CPU
>another 5 connectors for the 2 additional fans in the front and in the top and one on the bottom
>>
Because wires are short and they actually reach if the fan outlets are spread out.
>>
>>58420031
The CPU fan header is very close to the CPU for that reason. I assume that OP understands the logic behind that one.
>>
>>58420006
I doesn't matter if the increase in production cost isn't that large, most companies won't even entertain an idea that increases their production costs by even a small margin.

Not to mention the fact that this particular feature would probably only interest a small subset of enthusiasts, considering that >>58420015 is 100% correct. Most people would probably just run the cables anyways, or do things the way they've always been doing them.

I'm not saying it's not an interesting idea, I'm just giving you the reason that companies most likely don't do it.
>>
>>58420042
Yes, of course.
And only one other connector suffices for everything else in the case if its all connected to a proper fan controller.
Which makes the rest irrelevant.

>>58420034
All my fans have long wires. I don't have range issues. There's also extension cables that can come with them.

>>58420053
I'm mostly thinking about the mobos that have like 5 or 6 connectors strewn about them.
Feels like it is unnecessary bloat on a mobo which can be used more wisely.

And i want my desktop case to fly and follow me around the house, so i need as many industrial fans as possible in my case.
>>
>>58420075
>All my fans have long wires.
If everyone else in the world had your exact fans with your long wires, your suggestion would make sense.
>>
>>58419952
>Can someone explain to me why motherboards have fan connectors chaotically placed all over the board?

They are not.

>d provide an additional mini-board with tons of fan connectors

Because engineering and building hardware with expandable stuff is probably the most expensive way of designing and manufacturing hardware.
You want expandable daughter boards? Pay a HUGE premium price. I won't.
>>
>>58420140
Yep, this is basically the reason.

On top of that, I don't quite know what OP would want... proprietary modular boards for every motherboard? Or would we want some kind of standard? Either way, both options are totally ridiculous.
>>
>>58420075
>And i want my desktop case to fly and follow me around the house, so i need as many industrial fans as possible in my case.
Step 1: Acquire several fan controllers.
Step 2: Acquire any kind of frame, and one of those removable motherboard mounting plates from some case.
Step 3: Acquire as many fans as you can fit in your frame.
Step 4: End up with a PC that still won't fly because PC fans suck dick for this purpose.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.