[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't save much stuff onto my SSD, because I'm really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1-intro_19.jpg (2MB, 7644x6492px) Image search: [Google]
1-intro_19.jpg
2MB, 7644x6492px
I don't save much stuff onto my SSD, because I'm really paranoid about it dying early. Am I just being stupid? Right now I only have my OS and two video games installed on it.
>>
>>58405977
it's going to die suddenly, and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>58405977

Expecting a single drive to fail any second isn't stupid. That happens all the time no matter what storage type.

This is why you can't have value data on only one device and that's what backups are for.
>>
>>58405977
It's advised to leave ~20% of it free according to other sites like toms hardware and samsung, and from a bunch of forums where users were worried about the same thing you are in that filling up an ssd basically bricks it. As long as you leave a little bit of it unused it'll still perform at optimal speeds, but over time it might slow down a bit depending on the programs you're running.
>>
It will still be in use longer than every other component in your build. My 2012 Samsung 830 is still going strong at only 10TB writes and will easily last another 10+ years. So yes you're being stupid.
>>
>>58405977
Back up your important shit then retard.

There's no point in purchasing something, then avoiding using it because you're worried that it's going to wear out. That's how things work. If you were that worried about it from the get go, you shouldn't have bothered buying one in the first place.
>>
>>58405977
If you just use it for os and games what do you have to lose? It's mostly only useful for programs anyway.
>>
>>58405977
Shit will die sooner or later anyway. It won't be catastrophically though, generally it will make itself read only to prevent dataloss
But to answer your question, as long as you leave atleast 15% free, you're fine
>>
>>58405977
Of course you are stupid.
Don't know if that's related to your SSD or STD though
>>
File: ssd3.jpg (310KB, 670x883px) Image search: [Google]
ssd3.jpg
310KB, 670x883px
ive been using my first SSD for 6 years or so. i have another samsung SSD
>>
>>58406035
/thread
>>
File: m4.jpg (126KB, 651x668px) Image search: [Google]
m4.jpg
126KB, 651x668px
>>58407168
My fucking nigger
>>
File: cake.png (27KB, 754x597px) Image search: [Google]
cake.png
27KB, 754x597px
>>58405977
Be a fag like me and set OP to 35%
>>
>>58406035
that's true but an OS installation, some programs, and vidya gaems aren't valuable data. All that shit is stuff he can just reinstall if the drive were to fail. He'd be inconvenienced but he wouldn't lose anything.
>>
File: ssd.png (68KB, 755x407px) Image search: [Google]
ssd.png
68KB, 755x407px
>>58405977
mine
>>
I only keep installed stuff and what I'm currently working on (periodically backing up to HDD) on my SSD. It is theoretically readable once it fails and you don't reboot but the truth is that your OS will fuck up when that happens and keep you from copying files over.
>>
>>58406046
This basically. 200 GB is my minimum, and if the SSD is the only device I will use for storage on a computer then I would probably push it to 500 GB.
>>
>>58406046
>>58408905
If you're not configuring that space to be overprovisioned space (And thus invisible to the OS) then it's making no difference
>>
>>58405977
Feels like 2008.
Also your data is already lost unless you have it saved in two places.
>>
>>58408936
Do I just partition a portion of that space in the windows disk manager?
>>
>>58408991
If you want to leave more space i.e. over provision more you must do it in Samsung wizard or whatever it's called. If you just partition the drive that internal space in the SSD will still be used for regular stuff which isn't what you want. You want the space to be only accessible to internal SSD functions which is what over provisioning does in the Samsung tool.
>>
>>58409114
Oh I see. I havent even installed that yet. I will try it out.
>>
>>58407757

Then there is nothing to bitch about in the first place.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.