[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

See pic related. Poorfag, here. One of my cpu fans broke and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: balancing fan.png (565KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
balancing fan.png
565KB, 712x950px
See pic related.

Poorfag, here. One of my cpu fans broke and when it spins, it's unbalanced. Is there any way to break the fins off in a certain configuration so that it will be balanced when it spins?
>>
Just mount a case fan to your heat sink and run it with the side of the case open if you don't have any other case fans.
>>
It's 7-symmetrical so the only way to create balance again is to break all fins.
>>
>>58393338
I have one on my heatsink. I just need some airflow in my case
>>
It has 7 fins
You can't balance it.
>>
just superglue the broke one on then order a fan from aliexpress for like a dollar
>>
>>58393356
What is this, jewlliminnati shit? sis they do this on purpose?
>>
>>58393457
yes, they base their entire company on people being as dumb as you and breaking a fin from their fan.
>>
>>58393297
you really don't have $5?
>>
>>58394376
To be fair if it was a crap fan those fins will break by themselves. I can vouch for it. While moving my computer to dust it one of the blades just fell off a fan. didn't touch it, didn't drop it
>>
>>58393297
>Poorfag
If you're too poor to afford a new fan, you should probably start cutting back on other shit. Like internet access... and electricity.
>>
>>58393297
>>58393429
I can can confirm that this works, i once broke the fin of my video card fan and it was a non-standard size so there was no other way to fix it.
>>
cut off about quarter of the two fins on the opposite side, then continue filing off the ends until it runs smooth enough.
In total you will need to cut off less than half since there is more mas at the tip.
Or you can take a photo against a white background and numerically compute the center of mass
>>
>>58393297
https://goo gl/rP4MSu

Seriously OP, high performance fan for 7$. Skip a meal to pay for it if you're legitimately that poor. Fucking spam filters.
>>
all the faggots who call OP poorfag, do you realize that shipping a new fan takes time and a PC without a CPU fan cannot be put under load or it will turn off after a few seconds?
>>
>>58394724
As he said, he already strapped a case fan to the cooler, and is looking to get airflow. Someone already told him to open the side panel, which would give him enough airflow to use it. I find it incredibly unlikely that he actually does any work with his CPU, and therefore it is not paramount he be able to place the CPU under load.

A better question would be, how the fuck did the blade break off in the first place? Only way I could think of is the bearing was already shot, and the fan was rattling to begin with. If this is the case, OPs "it'll be fine" attitude with not replacing the fan lead to this situation. You reap what you sow.
>>
>>58395139
no, the fan has been running for over a year like this. Fan blade just broke off one day, but I realized that this was causing my case to vibrate
>>
>>58393429
>>58394460
this.
My mom complained her computer rattled and I found it to be the psu fan. Opened in up and glued the fin back on.
>>
>>58395165
I don't know where the missing fin is :(

I have some broken fans that I can snap one off of it
>>
File: 1483907207295.png (449KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
1483907207295.png
449KB, 712x950px
>>58394478
i would start with a 5th considering the fact that the end of the fan gives the most pushand thus you would create a momentum around the \phi axis.so you shoudl try to cut the least amount possible, also keep a part to stabilize it.
(do not cut red start with green expand into blue rotate that one the next fin (counterclockwise)
>>
>>58394478
>numerically compute the center of mass
Without density and shape of each piece?
>>
You fucks are over complicating it

Just keep adding blue-tac until it's in balance
>>
You could balance it perfectly by breaking off all of the fins.
>>
>>58394400
/thread
>>
>>58395700
>>numerically compute the center of mass
>Without density and shape of each piece?

my thoughts exactly. Would be impossible unless the blades on the other side were shaved off slightly, and tested over and over.
>>
First you will need a wind tunnel op.
>>
>>58396296
why the f would I need a wind tunnel?
>>
dude it is like a $1 fan, just go get one that is the same size
>>
Kek
> 7 is a prime number
>>
Many times, a cooling fan is optional.

If that's not true in your case, then just periodically blow on the computer manually using your mouth. A bonus is you'll burn some calories.
>>
>>58396347
I'm dissapoint that /g/ wouldn't come up with a mathematical solution to this problem
>>
>>58398480
that's not how you exploit autism, op
>>
>>58398480
yes but in this case its less effort to just spend $1-5 on a new fan.
the people on /g/ who know enough maths and engineering to tell you the answer ; 5 minutes of their expertise would cost more than a new fan.

and even if you shave off more of the fan its just going to perform subpar in the end. You will actually end up with better performance if you just throw that fan away and relocate one of the case fans to the CPU.

thats also not a stock fan that comes with stock CPU coolers. if you are as poor as you claim why buy aftermarket heatsink instead of using the stock one. if you bought an aftermarket one you must still have the stock one somewhere around so just swap them out.

there are tons of fans in old computer scrap being thrown out everywhere

work smart not hard OP
>>
>>58393297
even if you balance the fan out it will be completly fucked for moving air
>>
>>58398571
I have 2 broken case fans. That one I posted was my outtake on the back. I need at least some airflow, cuz my temps are hovering at 60 on idle
>>
>>58398639
i'll be something. better than 60C idle
>>
>>58398918
how does one fuck every single fan in his computer
>>
>>58393297
7 is prime...
Slowly grind off the opposite side until it spins without wobble
>>
File: 1475734129750.jpg (52KB, 604x455px) Image search: [Google]
1475734129750.jpg
52KB, 604x455px
>>58398964
Idk, I used to black out a lot
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.