[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the drawbacks of using an Ethernet splitter? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

What are the drawbacks of using an Ethernet splitter?

Would the internet speeds be slower for both parties?
>>
>>58391453
I imagine it would be the same as using a network switch. So probably not a huge dip in speed.
>>
The signal's slightly decreased for every additional connector/splitter that's added. I've never used a ethernet splitter though. I don't think each side only gets 50% if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>58391458
>>>58391453 (OP)
>I imagine it would be the same as using a network switch. So probably not a huge dip in speed.
No. That thing is basically a hub. Switches do actual routing, hubs just copy the stream and send it to every port. Look up hub vs switch and you'll see the problem.
>>
You can't split Ethernet like that. What's you're looking at it is an rj45 splitter, which would only work for phones.
>>
>>58391458
>I imagine it would be the same as using a network switch
Are you full on retarded? I mean, thats some high level stupid
>>
>>58391453
It dosen't work

Source: I have one
>>
>>58391453
>>58391505
they're neither

Gigabit needs 8 wires, 100mbit needs only 4. Ethernet cables all come with 8 wires. An ethernet splitter will put one input on the pins 1/2-3/6 and the other input on 4/5-7/8. Therefore, you can get 100mbit max.

They were used as a special trick for lazy electricians who only would need to pull one cable instead of two. There are no advantages.
>>
>>58391453
This thing splits the 8 wires up to 4+4 so you can only get 100Mbps per line.
>>
>>58392742
>lazy

Cost can be an advantage. One cable is cheaper than two.
>>
>>58392763
These things are already cheap af, stop the excuses
>>
>>58392775
b-but muh oxygen-free, gold-plated, shielded cable isn't cheap!
>>
File: 1389505150975.png (248KB, 652x624px) Image search: [Google]
1389505150975.png
248KB, 652x624px
>>58391505
>Switches do actual routing
>>
>>58392791
fun fact: with a shielded cable and a plastic splitter like in OPs pic, you won't have shielding but a giant antenna instead that will pick up anything and spread it onto the whole length of the cable
>>
>>58392835
Which is why should you pair shielded splitters with shielded cables.
>>
File: ackchyually.png (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.png
19KB, 200x200px
>>58391505
>>58392794
I too was gonna call that guy out, but held my tongue.

switching != routing

Yes they both foward data packets, but Layer 2 is a frame and Layer 3 is a packet. Switching forwards based on MAC address, and Routers forward based on IP address. Switching can occur even when routing doesn't exist (e.g. you're talking with someone on the same subnet). You only need routing if you're trying to go outside your subnet.
>>
>>58393128
>>>58391505
>>>58392794
>I too was gonna call that guy out, but held my tongue.
>switching != routing
>Yes they both foward data packets, but Layer 2 is a frame and Layer 3 is a packet. Switching forwards based on MAC address, and Routers forward based on IP address. Switching can occur even when routing doesn't exist (e.g. you're talking with someone on the same subnet). You only need routing if you're trying to go outside your subnet.
Its the guy that you posted about. You are right. Thanks for the correction! *kiss kiss*
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.