[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between a TV and a Monitor? My GF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2376.jpg (30KB, 702x395px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2376.jpg
30KB, 702x395px
What's the difference between a TV and a Monitor?

My GF wanted me to hook up my small 32" Vizio LED smart TV to my computer so she can watch me play Tomb Raider. To my surprise it actually looked really good and the input lag was nearly identical to my 1080P HP monitor.

Now I understand that a lot of 1080P TVs don't technically have a 1920x1080 panel and do some type of upscaling from a lower resolution. But upon further inspection it seems like this TV does have a full 1080P resolution. I also understand that TVs have a built in tuner.

But why are they significantly cheaper, and what are you missing out on? A 32" 1080P monitor would be well over the $250 price I paid for this TV. Why don't people just buy semi good quality TVs to use for displays instead of monitors?
>>
TVs usually have additional stuff built in like
>speakers
>tuners
>nowadays, operating system
>motion enhancers
>lots more picture and color options

Additionally TVs use different panels, due to different manufacturers.
>>
>>58385738
But why are they cheaper? Obviously some display quality has to be lost, but I don't see any.

Why are monitors so much more expensive?
>>
>>58385724
>But why are they significantly cheaper, and what are you missing out on? A 32" 1080P monitor would be well over the $250 price I paid for this TV. Why don't people just buy semi good quality TVs to use for displays instead of monitors?

Input lag, not IPS panels because IPS is worse for color/black level (which matters for movies), different/higher refresh rates. That's it mostly.
>>
Input lag is one of the main reasons
>>
>>58385746
Cheaper panels. IPS are more expensive and that's what you want for PC. Lower input lag.
>>
>>58385724
> difference between a TV and a Monitor?
In many fascist union countries the difference is a $200 yearly state "tv-license" fee. I don't think this is common outside the EU, but here it matters.

Apart from that there's just the panel that differs between a 1080p computer monitor and a TV but that difference varies from TV to TV and computer screen to computer screen. You could luck out and get a TV with a better panel than a computer monitor has cheaper.

Beware that many cheap TVs still just have 720p panels and you don't want to be using that as a computer screen. You also don't want to use a 50" 1080p monitor.

>>58385746
>Why are monitors so much more expensive?
Mostly better panels on computer screens is one part of the story but competition and mass production may be another factor.

It's actually a bit odd, though. Most computers monitors are actually still just TN-panels, not IPS, specially those who advertise that they have low input lag. They should be cheaper.. but they are not.

Historically DPI has had something to do with it, a 24" TV would be 720p and a 24" computer monitor would be 1080p but now small 1080p TVs are cheap so who knows why these things are not improving.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.