[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>trying to find a laptop for £550 or less >PC World and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

>trying to find a laptop for £550 or less
>PC World and Currys were separate last time I went 'high street' and my cheap parts supplier now lives half way across the world

What do I do?
>>
>>58378824
ebuyer
>>
>>58378824
buy online, specifically what you're looking for is a site that delivers to where you are that's reputable and has refurbished business grade laptops
>>
Anything but pc fixing world mate.
Ebuyer good starting point. Dell outlet too. Hp store not bad.
>>
>>58378922
>>58378964
What should I expect to get for my money these days? My last, store bought, laptop lasted the best part of 6 years and with me not really into upgrades in that time I'm pretty much a newbie all over again. I know enough that PC World is a complete ripoff but not too much else.
>>
>>58379008
I don't know if newegg delivers to wherever you is but they probably do. and even if they don't, their selection of refurbished business laptops at around the four hundred dollar usd price point is a decent yardstick for what you should be looking to get for your money. as for what specific specs you need, well that depends on what you usually use it for. I mean if it's only a webtop, then a c2d and four gigs of ram are more than enough for your needs, and that can be had for like a hundred or so bucks usd. at the four hundred dollar mark I reccomended you'd get an i5 or maybe even an i7 and four to six gigs of ram, and possibly and ssd as well.
>>
>>58379093
Majority of its use will be Photoshop and InDesign as I mostly use those for a living. Been working with a 3GB RAM HPG62 since 2012 so the only way is up really.

The biggest question is whether i3/i5/i7 matters when working in that software and whether I prioritise SSD/RAM instead.
>>
>>58379187
Get a gay men laptop then. You can get a previous generation one for cheap as fuck, especially laptops that don't look that gamer. Avoid Asus or MSI, for example. Acer has a nice gamer range that you could definitely get for your price range, especially in the UK.
>>
>>58378824

>buying tech in the UK

Prepare to get fucked by ripoff Britain

>buying it at Curry's/PC World

Prepare to get fucked even harder.
>>
>>58379187
>graphics work
if you're planning to do anything else at the same time I'd reccomend an i7, if you're not into multitasking then an i5 will do you fine. you'll probably want 8gigs of ram, preferably as a single stick so you can add another latter if it turns out you need more, and I'd go for an hdd over an ssd but that's really just personal preference at this point. also consider getting a large hdd to hook up to your old laptop to run as a nas to keep your work stuff on. if set up right you can access it from anywhere even if you have a dynamic ip. look up xpenology
>>
Seen this on HUKD which sounds pretty good at £500:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HU6EBUG/?tag=ho01f-21

Or if you want dedicated graphics and an SSD in a 'gaymen' laptop try this: http://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-156-f15-intel-core-i5-6200u-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-with-dvdrw-silver-gaming-laptop/612-0833.prd?source=others

Both will be very good for photoshop and indesign.
>>
Tesco direct and Argos are worth a look. £550 will get you loads. £250 can get you a quad core CPU with 4gb RAM.
>>
Thanks for the responses. Feel like I have something approaching a starting point now, rather than staring blankly at the options available.
>>
>>58379187
get a refurbished mac

seriously, 2012 or so model, better if you manage to find a retina

i'm not for apple products, writing from a thinkpad x230, but if all you do is photoshop/illustrator then you just need the basic i5, 4gb of ram and A GOOD SCREEN something you wont find in a new 600€ laptop (those have just the basic 1366x768 TN), macbooks have them.
don't forget to ad an SSD and check if the battery is near new, if not buy a new one (and don't go cheap on that), best experience you can get for that price
>>
>>58378824
don't buy from amazon. I am an amazon delivery driver here in the UK and the majority of the drivers take no care whatsoever with electricals and fragile items. That includes me. I literally just throw the laptops into the back of the van. There isn't even any job training and the only job requirement is to have a driving license and pass a drug and alcohol test.

I would never buy an expensive or fragile item from amazon lol.
>>
PC world is fucking cancer. They have such poor and little stock of basic things needed for a computer.
Even their PC's are shit with a huge price tag.
Use Ebay, Amazon, Ebuyer ect and you'll get better performance for your money.
>>
>>58379764
I worked in the Amazon warehouse up in Scotland over Christmas, it was the worst experience of my life. 60 hour weeks, you had to pay for your own travel on a shitty nigbus, by the time I'd get home from Gourock I'd have 4 hours of sleep then another 12 hour shift. During those 4 hours I'd be taking in Amazon deliveries for other flats in my building so I was basically operating on no sleep. People were sleeping in tents to avoid paying travel and walking zombies.

They hired complete idiots with criminal records, people who had worked there 8 times and been caught stealing each time but still re-employed. I lasted a week and walked out when someone with a neck tattoo tried to knife fight me with a plastic knife. Fuck Amazon.
>>
http://www.ebuyer.com/760636-hp-250-g5-i7-laptop-x0q77es-x0q77es-abu

Think I'm going to go with this, though the i5 version is £100 or so cheaper.
>>
>>58379908
Shameless bump. Is there going to be a noticeable difference between the i5 and i7 at that spec?
>>
>>58379870
I order shit like toilet paper and rice on Amazon quit free delivery. It's the closest thing I'll have to owning slaves.
>>
>what is Amazon
>>
File: 1444834474758.webm (175KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444834474758.webm
175KB, 1920x1080px
>>58379870
>I worked in the Amazon warehouse up in Scotland

did you see sysadmin?
>>
>>58379908
>Resolution: 1366 x 768

bitch please
>>
>>58380883
Is it that big of a deal at that screen size?
>>
>>58378824
>PC world/Currys
>ever

want some """free""" Mcafee antivirus with that anon? Its made by Intel so its the best one.
>>
>>58379745
This
>>
>>58380883
Any recommendations within the £550 budget?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.