[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>use xubuntu on my laptop >spend my time programming microcontrollers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1476222680379.png (673KB, 600x763px) Image search: [Google]
1476222680379.png
673KB, 600x763px
>use xubuntu on my laptop
>spend my time programming microcontrollers, programming in general, maybe occasional movies or anime or PSP games emulation
>documentation is God tier make simple script to turn on caps lock led if the CPU is at higher than 50°C, which it rarely does. The whole thing takes 5 minutes
>everything works well, CPU idles at 43°C, don't have to install any drivers separately, everything comes on built
>USB ISPs and other peripherals are identified immediately them plugged in
>cousin tells me to get into gaming
>install windows in a 50GB partition, it destroys my grub, repair it
>have to install shitload of drivers
>finally usable but still idles at 50°C, have to download a third party software to get my hands on this information
>Install this game called fallout 3 (very good game, loved it)
>works fine for a few minutes then begins to lag like a motherfucker
>close the game, some process called svchost.exe is using up 2GB of RAM and 50% CPU, it comes back if I close it
>make a batch script to kill the damn thing as soon as it pops up
>finally play for some moments
>feel like playing around with my microcontroller, install AVR studio
>fucking clunky bloated piece of shit, hangs and lags ever
>won't recognize my usb-asp, needs me to manually install drivers
>remove Windows

Holy shit how do you fuckers use this garbage?
>>
Fallout 3 works with wine on linux but I don't remember if it was very well going.
>>
fallout 3 is meh tiers but that's not the point
The only use of windows is gayming since no other distro run that many game
>>
>>58371400
linux on all pc but on one dualboot with windows xp professional 64-bit. I can play fallout 3, and some other old stuff. XP doesn't fuck to much with the application I run but I won't let it connect to the internet.

You'll hate xp though, no drivers for newer pc.
>>
>>58371400
The fuck is that just an LED with a shitty filtering cap?
How the hell would anyone buy this?
>>
>>58371400

>>close the game, some process called svchost.exe is using up 2GB of RAM and 50% CPU, it comes back if I close it
>>make a batch script to kill the damn thing as soon as it pops up

For someone who seems to be trying to make themselves look superior, you really, really don't understand shit, don't you?

>Holy shit how do you fuckers use this garbage?

Same way you understand the legacy bullshit methodology of Unix/Linux, a lot of us understand the way Windows does things too. Like realizing that host processes are usually tied to services, to troubleshoot which service is causing the issue, stopping it from running, diagnosing why it's doing what it's doing (like if it's installing Windows Updates, if you were an idiot and told it by default to just do that, or if you decided you didn't want to turn Superfetch off/limit it), and fixing it.

I've learned to deal with Linux's over-specific, NEET-level bullshit in CentOS/Red Hat and Fedora, running and managing small servers. But that's where I feel Linux belongs. On a server, managing things that need granular controls. Not on a PC where I couldn't give a fuck less about the Window Manager or terminal appearance, I just want to organize a bunch of folders so I can find shit. Who cares what it looks like.
>>
>>58371572
Why the fuck does svchost want 2GB of RAM though?
>>
>>58371598

Svchost is a generic process for a shit ton of different possible services. You'd need to tell me what Service was hogging that much RAM, then I'd have an idea, perhaps.

It'd be like asking me why your Chrome/Firefox/Whatever Web Browser needs 4GBs of system RAM if you only have 4 tabs open. Well, if you've got some retarded extensions, add-ons, or mods, and 2 of your 4 tabs are browser-games/NACL titles/HTML5 web engine apps, then yeah, theres a pretty good explanation as to why it's consuming so much RAM. But just telling me the process takes up that much RAM doesn't tell me shit.
>>
>>58371629
There were a bunch of processes called svchost.exe and one of them was taking up 2GB of RAM
That's all the task manager told me.
>>
>>58371568
There are tons of these little plugin "power factor correction" doodads on the market. Basically the thinking goes that if you use some microscopic capacitance, and your load leans heavily inductive, you're guaranteed to bring the pf slightly closer to 1.
>>
>>58371629
nope! that is totally wrong
>>
>>58371598
>>58371642

the svchost process running windows update can go to that high.
>>
>>58371642

If you right click the process, there's an option that will bring you to the "services" tab, with all the services that use that instance of SVCHOST.exe highlighted.
Alternatively, resource monitor can tell you where your system resources are going.

>>58371682
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms685967%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
"An example of a service program that does this is the generic service host process, Svchost.exe, which hosts internal Windows services. "

No, it's totally right.
>>
>>58371400
Where can I get that amazing fuel saving device??
>>
>>58371678

That was beautiful.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.