[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I switch my major to IT management? Pros: >the college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: masha.jpg (545KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
masha.jpg
545KB, 1333x2000px
Should I switch my major to IT management?

Pros:
>the college I attend has the #1 IT undergrad program in the US
>the field is expanding really fast
>my cousin - who planted this idea in my head - graduated HS, got his certification, and worked his way up to where he is a director of the whole IT department at a Fortune 500 company in his mid 30s
>opportunities to make big $$ (for instance, my cousin)
>I have a very patient temperament - not the type of guy to get mad at people/be condescending

Cons:
>been reading threads on here over the past few days, and one guy said that IT people are on the lowest tier in the tech world
>I'm going to take his opinion with a grain of salt, but I do feel that my lack of coding knowledge might put me at a disadvantage (all I know is pretty basic HTML/CSS)
>afraid of ending up in a low level help desk job, with little upward mobility

One idea I have is to study IT, but also go to law school and specialize in cyber law (helping corporations write their EULAs, and filing claims in civil court against guy like Kim Dotcom) once I get out. I'm not sure, though, if the debt is worth it for a marginally higher salary -- I'm burning through all of my savings for undergrad.

Another thing I'm considering is working in IT for a year once I get out, saving $10,000 or so, and going to a really good coding bootcamp. That would be worth it, I think.

Basically, any insight into/advice about whether IT is something worth going into would be super appreciated :-)
>>
Forgot to add: I'm currently studying Economics and American Studies, with the intent of going to law school

And I'm halfway through my freshman year right now, so it's not too late for me to change without fucking everything up
>>
>>58364008
>#1 IT undergrad program in the US
What school and what do you want to do and what do you like. Take what the unemployed autist say with a grain of salt.
>>
>>58364008
That is the whitest asian I have ever seen. Also, no stick with law school. You'll make more money.
>>
>>58364008
Switch to the IT undergrad, but still go to law school. Boom become and advisor with a tech company and easy 300k
>>
>>58365459
I go to Notre Dame. I've been super into computers since I was a kid, but I know that things you enjoy can be tedious when they become your job

"Do what you like" is the best advice - if I can combine the terrible-ness of law school with studying a niche field that I enjoy, I think that would be the best outcome

>>58365510
Her name is Masha P. I think she's Ukranian
And advice taken, thanks

>>58365554
How does one go about getting one of these adviser positions?? It would be awesome if I could develop the resume/skillset to get one of these jobs

Thanks for the advice, guys
>>
>>58364008
Change to computer science or math, both can be used in Lawschool after. Patent/IP lawyers all have engineering undergrads but computer science would just be all around helpful anyway even if you chase ambulances.
>>
>>58366232
>how to get on executive board
From networking obviously, you go work in the bay area and network around, use your law degree to get appointed to the board or exec of some new startup as chief whatever lawyer they need.
>>
>>58366255
Unfortunately, I've never been very good at math. I made a 5 out of 5 on every AP test I took in high school, and I made an 800 on the reading section -- but I made a 1 out of 5 on the Calculus AB practice test that my teacher gave me, haha

Not saying this to be pretentious, but to illustrate how little talent I have with math. I've gotten *a lot* better at it now that I'm in college through working hard at it, but liberal arts and business come naturally to me

This actually leads into another question: how much math am I going to need to know in the IP world? How much am I going to need to know in order to develop a good coding knowledge base?

>>58366275
Good to know - thanks
>>
>>58364008
Unfortunately, in IT will require at least some kind of help desk or customer service experience at first. Its extremely hard to get right into the position you want right away. For me, I started out in customer service for about 6 months to prove myself worthy and then became a IT support technician for about a year and half. Then I got sick of phones and decided I wanted to work more technical side of things so I go moved to onsite technician. I can tell you that being an onsite tech is probably one of the best jobs I've ever had. My schedule is already handled by dispatch team and all I do is arrive on time, complete the job, and move onto next onsite service. I would never want to work in IT management. Its extremely stressful, you have to provide service delivery reports on a weekly basis, you deal with pissed of customers, and there really isn't anything technical being done its more managing than anything so picking up after the lazy slackers and people who call off. Hope that helps.
>>
>>58367440
Great advice, thank you very much
>>
>>58367512
also those who think working from home remotely would be good? oh hell no. forget taking time off or calling in, they expect you to work or make up for that time. plus when it comes to IT meetings or something the manager has discussed, nobody is on the same page. always email that shit because otherwise people don't understand or miss out on training. so if you get offered to work on-premise or remotely, go to the office. you'll pick up things much quicker and most likely get promoted or moved to the position you want faster as well. i know people who work in Hawaii that don't know shit so emailing them and then going back to the email i can tell them that i fucking already told them back on this day instead of the old well i never knew that or nobody told me how to do this.
>>
>>58364008
>not the type of guy to be condescending
nope. sorry. IT is just not for you.
>>
>>58367565
Sometimes the in office vs remote doesn't matter. My dad works from home because his entire group works in Memphis and his office is in Dallas, so his manager was like whether or not you go into the office you're still never in the same room as us so why bother?
>>
>>58367608
i guess i could see that if everyone had their own offices, however, in office environments were cubicles are. its nice to listen in on what your team is doing or what they are telling the client on the phone cause you could relate or help out in the situations. depending on the job, yes i could see that happening if you were a security consultant, programmer, or sysadmin.
>>
>>58367660
Yeah his situation is different than standard IT stuff. He pretty much gets paid 90k to just send emails and get on conference calls related to testing and quality assurance for software. Like some contractor poo in loo makes software, an American tests the software, then his team oversees the QA and release. He tells me it's comfy as fuck, especially since he sits on the couch all day with a laptop and phone.
>>
>>58367715
exactly this
>>
Is it worth it to take on debt for CS? I've been doing IT stuff to break in there but it's so fucking dry and boring at times, I need something more. Thinking about going to a good uni and doing CS or SE.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.