[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

personal fuck ups/scare stories? >a few years ago >had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 1464529818311.jpg (57KB, 567x378px)
1464529818311.jpg
57KB, 567x378px
personal fuck ups/scare stories?

>a few years ago
>had a mid end PC somewhat old
>instead of upgrade decide to fuck it and use the -k CPU and the Z gigabyte Mobo to overclock
>decide to make it fancy and upgrade BIOS and get a new casing and fans and shit
>case and fans in preorder, waiting for a pendrive to upgrade BIOS
>think that reseting CMOS is like formatting a hard drive, that if you do it you can slightly increase performance and decrease chance of failure
>first time doing this shit
>no CMOS reset button, no pins.
>gotta remove the fucking battery
>proceed to do so
>sweatingbullets.gif
>insert battery
>computer wont start
>pic related
>my mind is racing, my family isn't exactly rich, i have no job, and even if i could afford a new gaming computer my parents wouldn't let me get one because i would have fucked this one up by me trying to be an alpha and doing my own shit
>remove and re-add battery
>reset computer
>default BIOS settings
>"loading operating system"
>Screen goes black
>"Loading Windows"

Anyone else has stories of themselves trying to do DIY shit and fucking up, or borderline fucking up?
>>
>>58350575
>have cheap laptop
>buy bioshock infinite during sale
>game barely runs
>gpu temperature goes well over 100°c
>still want to play game
>go through several instances of laptop shutting down because want to play game
>after a while the gpu is finally fried

I basically killed a perfectly fine computer to play an incredibly shitty game. Replacing the GPU (if even possible) would've been a waste, given the age of the computer.
>>
>>58350610
I also learned in due time that laptops are furnaces while playing games. I also fucked up my mom's laptop before i had the desktop one of OP. I also funny enough paid 1 buck for Bio infinite and regret it for it being such a shitty game.
>>
File: 1482874476402.jpg (43KB, 506x584px) Image search: [Google]
1482874476402.jpg
43KB, 506x584px
I actually haven't fucked up a lot

Before I actually got meself a computer (well my parents did) I've been subscribing to a dedicated magazine (for complete laymen) for over a year. It was '96 I think but the moment I got the computer on the desk I actually had a clue what to do next.

My biggest fuckup was a few years ago when I tried linux mint and went the most ignorant retarded way possible with it (complete opposite of what I did when I was young)

Ended up with unbootable Linux, unbootable Windows and fucked up HDD (windows installer couldn't even detect it). Luckily I managed to get it working, retrieve my stuff and set it up again.

I'll admit I had laid off the idea of installing Linux for well over a year after the incident.

Since then I managed to switch entirely.
>>
The entire act of me building a pc was a scare story.
>>
I once spent 80€ on a boxed version of Suse Linux. It came with two big manual books that I never used and I only installed it once to realize that I had no idea what I was doing, and never again. That was when I was 14 I think.
>>
>>58350680
Do you suggest me to change to linux? what are the advantages and disadvantages? ive had a friend tell me that its a lot more moddeable (which i dont really care for), internet and overall computer works faster, but low compatibility in the very few games that i still use throws me off.
>>
>>58350575
thats not a real fuck up.
>black friday
>order parts on newegg
>i5 6600k
>as I put in cpu I bent pins on the motherboard
>didnt notice and turn on comp
>nothing happens
>hmmmmm
>check everything except cpu
>finally check cpu and see 2 bent pins
>no tweezers so i had to bend it back carfully with a fork from my kitchen
>works
thank god everything is ok
>>
File: EnSCYXl.gif (2MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
EnSCYXl.gif
2MB, 350x300px
>>58350774
>>finally check cpu and see 2 bent pins
>>no tweezers so i had to bend it back carfully with a fork from my kitchen
>>works
Holy absolute shit i would be sweating bullets in your situation. Specially considering that i could have fucked up the Mobo and the CPU (even if i got them for cheap)
>>
>>58350664
Submerge the laptop in mineral oil to cool it
>>
>>58350813
its wierd. I used to put together computers for people all the time and its the first time I actually messed up and its when I finally build myself one
>>
>>58350826
I hear that mineral water works much better
>>
>>58350833
Shit happens. Same computer than OP's story:

What the fuck, something is fucked
>I remove the RAM, clean the pins and reattach the RAM and it works, however the same issue happens with several RAM through different MOBO connectors

>Wtf?

>trying to fix it, i decide to do some basic maintenance and remove the CPU cooler, clean it, and remove the CPU to see if i can do anything to it

>had no idea what the fuck the CPU pins were, couldn't see anything standing out

>reattach the CPU and the clean CPU cooler fan

>everything works fine

Thank fucking god Sandy Bridge and their architecture.
>>
>>58350734
just google for them.
it's not for everyone
>>
>>58350575
>possible memory corruption kernel panics
>run memtest
>use multi core mode
>it freezes completely on a test
>this is apparently normal because multicore doesnt work
>i still have bad RAM
>i switched the sticks and it worked for a while
>3 months later and i still havent bought new RAM
>>
File: 1468433871243.jpg (334KB, 960x814px) Image search: [Google]
1468433871243.jpg
334KB, 960x814px
>Have a new build
>Yesterday try to plug in a USB cable.
>Touch something in the back
>Computer instantly shuts down with a little "zap"
>Nearly get a heart attack, what in the fuck just happened..
>Press the power button.
>Mfw read the text: "Asus surge protector shut down the computer to protect it. Press F1 for setup"
>Press F1 nothing happens
>Jesusfuck..Restart
>Starts up normally.
So my Asus mobo has a wireless antenna in the back, there's these two copper connectors that have an extended antenna screwed in.
From what I gather, the USB cable touched one of those connectors.
Now if you can actually short the system like this, there's a serious fucking design flaw in this particular mobo.
But thank you Asus surge protector.
>>
my computer boots from my usb stick because i fucked up my initial install of windows

no matter how many times i format, it still boots from that stick

maybe one day it'll work properly. until then, bios boot it is.
>>
File: 1470959082037.jpg (28KB, 512x396px) Image search: [Google]
1470959082037.jpg
28KB, 512x396px
>>58350575
>Helping little bro build gayming PC
>got it all up and running
>need to install something with CD
>no CD drive
>remember that I had one in my build
>remove mine and put it in his
>install whatever
>install is done so i want my drive back
>im lazy and decide to unplug it with power still on
>electricity arcs between molex connectors
>whole system dies
>little brother is preoccupied and doesnt notice
>try to turn it back on
>nothing
>myface.jpg
>take CD drive and run
>3 hours later
>i havent heard anything
>come back and peak
>he's playing Rocket League on it
>>
>>58350941
uh.... Cant you access the bios boot menu and select the primary boot device to fix that?
>>
>>58350949
What was it then? just a small short due to removing the CD drive with the PSU providing power to the entire thing? if that's the case then there WAS a risk that the PSU would fry everything.
>>
>>58351018
I guess so. Not sure. I might have worn tbe PSU capacitors a bit, but idk what really happened.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.