[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So say i have become moderately proficient and very comfortable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: freebsd.png (184KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd.png
184KB, 650x650px
So say i have become moderately proficient and very comfortable using debian with a variety of DEs.

If i jump right into daily FreeBSD use, will i be lost? What are the main and most noticible differences?

Currently use my desktop for shitposting, watching vids, downloading shit, light website editing, and image manipulation.

Pic related, it's a devil.
>>
Why?
>>
>>58347604
You'll be just fine. The documentation is excellent, I suggest you look at the handbook.

Make sure your hardware is supported though, we are a bit behind on that due to everybody working on newer OS concepts and what not, but work is being done.
>>
>>58347604
No, you shouldn't be lost. Some things operate slightly different than you're used to, but FreeBSD and Debian target the same people.
>>
>>58347604
this >>58347720

you may even learn how to become a sysadmin from that handbook, it's that good
>>
>>58347604
FreeBSD logo is the best OS logo I've seen. I want to use FreeBSD just because of their logo.

I mean this unironically.
>>
One of the main differences is the init system. Debian uses systemd, while the BSDs use more traditional UNIX init systems.
Besides that, some commands are different, some naming schemes for devices and network interfaces, among other things.
When I moved to the BSDs from leenuks I had quite a few surprises when some commands I'd use often didn't work the same way, and several of the commands were not even available in BSD, having a completely different scheme. For a concrete example, almost all disk related tasks in FreeBSD are managed through GEOM , while in linuks it's done through commands such as `lsbkl' and the like.
Of course, you should always consult the handbook and you'll be fine.
*BSD are Unix-likes similar to linuks in many aspects, so it's fairly familiar ground.

Only if you're a handheld linuks kid who can't figure things out for himself would you find it hard because the BSDs do none of that and expect you to do your share.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.