[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I tried it once for ten minutes and it wasn't immediately

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Git Client.png (17KB, 574x530px) Image search: [Google]
Git Client.png
17KB, 574x530px
"I tried it once for ten minutes and it wasn't immediately obvious how to do some specific little thing so obviously it sucks"
>>
>want to automate a task in a GUI
>oh shit I forgot I was in a GUI, better get some carpal tunnel

>want to do literally anything that requires the use of a keyboard
>take my hands off my mouse and put them on my keyboard
>gotta highlight the next text box
>move my hand onto my mouse
>click
>move my hand back onto my keyboard
>no tab completion either

>can type 30 git commands a minute
>I bet it would be a lot faster if I had to click on buttons for each individual command.
>>
>>58346102
>30 git commands a minute
Manage a 1tb+ database or spreadsheets only with cli
>>
>>58346102
If you have a decent GUI client you shouldn't need to type anything but commit messages and branch names. You don't need tab-completion for anything. Also, you can use tab to highlight the next text box - welcome to the 21st century.
>>
>>58346159
That's what full time database administrators do every day. They even type their commands into a file so that each process can be trivially repeated later!
>>
>>58346159
what the fuck does that have to do with git? Is a linear chain of commits too hard to display in text form?

Don't most database admins rely on CLI because scripting? There's also an easily tracked history of everything that was done, when you use CLI, which is important at a lot of places.

>>58346223
>you shouldn't need to type anything but commit messages and branch names
>You don't need tab-completion for anything
I use tab completion for my branch names. You fucking idiot.

>Also, you can use tab to highlight the next text box.
I forgot about that. I don't use GUIs with a lot of textboxes often.

I'd like to entirely avoid taking my hands off the keyboard unless there's something that I can't easily do otherwise, like drag-selecting text. It wastes quite a lot of time swapping back and forth between keyboard and mouse.
>>
>>58346326
>I forgot about that. I don't use GUIs with a lot of textboxes often.

See "I tried it once for ten minutes and it wasn't immediately obvious how to do some specific little thing so obviously it sucks"

You don't need to type in your branch names except the first time you create the branch, you fucking idiot. With a decent client you can do everything by right-clicking on the branch (or commit in the branch) and selecting what you want to do. Rebase, merge, update, whatever. Imagine doing something that takes you 5 CL commands with two clicks.
>>
"I tired freecad, couldn't figure out how to rotate the object with a mouse, gave up."
>>
>>58346102
>>can type 30 git commands a minute
or just make && an && alias
>>
>>58346379
>See "I tried it once for ten minutes and it wasn't immediately obvious how to do some specific little thing so obviously it sucks"
oh we're already getting into strawmen

>I'm too stupid to understand the CLI, so I use GUIs, but I need to justify my stupidity so I made this thread

I've used visual studio for years. The amount of time it takes to click on individual buttons is very significant compared to the time it takes to type a two word command in.

>>58346421
if the command will finish instantly, it's faster to just hit enter.
>>
>>58346464
Your acting as if a button can only run one command at a time. A button can run lots of commands, or commands that consist of more than two words. Also, are you spending hours of time on Git each day? If not, I'm not sure how the simple cases where typing a command is slightly faster than clicking a button would add up to a significant amount of time.
>>
>>58346553
Sigh. *You're
>>
>>58346553
a script can run multiple commands. That would then be even faster than a button, since I'd only have to type part of it then hit tab.

>Also, are you spending hours of time on Git each day
no, I'm spending minutes on it a day and if I can do something twice as fast via CLI, that makes up a lot over a year.
>>
File: yor.jpg (2MB, 2761x4189px) Image search: [Google]
yor.jpg
2MB, 2761x4189px
>>58346601
*yor
>>
>Workflow already centered around command line, including build utilities, shell scripts, and sometimes even my text editor when I'm working remotely using SSH.
>Already know basic git commands, and most documentation for what I don't know concerns the command line tool, rather than a GUI tool.

Give me I've reason to bother learning the GUI tool.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.