[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My hdd in 5yo netbook is kill. I was using only ubuntu on this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ssdMeme.jpg (51KB, 443x353px) Image search: [Google]
ssdMeme.jpg
51KB, 443x353px
My hdd in 5yo netbook is kill.
I was using only ubuntu on this netbook.

What should I buy? SSD or HDD.

I remember that situation with ssd on linux was pretty shitty few years ago.

Is it better now?

Should I stick with hdd?

I have ssd on my pc and I love it, but /g/ said that on ubuntu and old cpu I will not notice much speed.
>>
since it's a netbook i'd go with SSD
>>
>>58343790
>Is it better now?
I haven't had any problems. What was shitty?
>>
>>58343790
Unless you need the extra storage space you get for the same price, go with the SSD
>>
I'd go with the SSD too. Since you won't be using tons of storage
>>
SSD has faster read/write so put data that will be accessed frequently on it (e.g. OS and programs). HDD is still cheaper per GB so use it for storing items long-term.
>>
>>58343852
few years ago linux was killing ssd with writing data
>>
>>58344078
it wasn't if you configured it properly
...which most of users didn't
>>
his question was if the running SSDs on Linux was viable now, not SSD vs. HDD
>>
>>58344100
ah okay
Its sad that basic hardware require any effort to work properly.

UUID=(...) / ext4 noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro 0 1

m-maybe, 2018, year of linux?

who knows
>>
>>58344185
some distros recognize that you're using SSD and adjust the amount of I/O
or at least that's what i've heard
>>
>>58344215
I have only 4gb of ram, what about swapping?
its hard to limit with a such small amount of ram
>>
>>58344258
it depends on how you use your computer
4GB might be enough or not
>>
>>58345902
...leave swap but change it so system will use it ONLY when you run out of RAM. this way it shouldn't torture your SSD too much and keep its lifespan at OK levels
>>
>>58345925
So swappiness 10 should be good? Or go lower?
>>
>>58346727
technically 10 should be more than enough because linuxes try to avoid using swap but if you're not using much RAM, go for 1 or even 0
>>
>>58343790
Modern SSD's are pretty badass, they won't die on you and you will surely feel the speed improvements.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.