[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

context: i dumb computer i have now has decent hardware(for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 6EJ1mXc.jpg (46KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
6EJ1mXc.jpg
46KB, 800x596px
context: i dumb

computer i have now has decent hardware(for what I need), had it for 5 years now, OS software has a lot of problems that have developed over time. all video files dont run in anything but itunes(tried all sorts of different video playback software). I cant open and photos in anything but an internet browser (tried all sorts of different photo viewing software). I have to run pretty much everything in compatibility mode. Tons of personal data I have on it that i really dont want to sift through and transfer.

Is it possible to reinstall the operating system without losing personal data?

I wouldnt think so, but I also bought a new hard drive. Is it possible to use the old one as a storage device that already has everything I want to keep on it, and just boot from the new one and reinstall programs on the new one? Even though the old one has gone to shit?
>>
The old one hasn't "gone to shit," you fucked up your computer by getting a million viruses you dumb fucking normie.
>>
>>58314426
Nah that's definitely not it. Always kept up with antivirus and very rarely would download software (always paranoid downloading shit, always do a ton of research on the legitimacy) or browse anything but the main shit (youtube, facebook, email)

maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along thanks for trying though
>>
>>58314699
not to mention I rarely connected to the internet, used my laptop for all of that. I do all my work on my desktop.
>>
You sound like a fucking retard. Too dumb to use google.
>>
>>58314715
...so you don't know the answer?
>>
>>58314414
The answer is yes. If you don't reformat, the windows installer will only modify the C:\Windows directory, renaming the existing one to C:\Windows.old

But if you're dumb enough to be rude to everyone who tries to help you, you're probably too retarded to actually get the installer up and running, let alone reinstall cleanly.
>>
>>58314815
>dumb fucking normie
"maybe someone more knowledgeable will help"

>rude
>>
>>58314414
>context: I dumb
>Proceeds to get mad when others tell him how he fucked up.

Sorry man, but if you honestly don't know own the answer to the question you're asking, you probably did fuck it up with viruses and other normie shit. Kill yourself.
>>
>>58314783
We're not here to spoonfeed your dumb ass. If you even bothered to look around for half a second you would've seen the stupid questions thread.
>>
File: 1464873738610.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1464873738610.gif
1MB, 260x260px
>>58314414
Computers don't "go to shit".

You did that to it.
>>
>>58314940
>>58314940
Right. And I'm telling you that I don't use my work computer for anything but downloading licensed pro-audio software direct from the developers and facebook/youtube. It probably wasn't connected to the internet for more than 5% of its usage. I'm extremely confident those aren't the issues.

Have you never heard of files becoming corrupt? For someone as knowledgeable like you? I know little enough to call myself dumb on the issue yet I've witnessed file corruption first hand on many accounts.

maybe you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about? And you just want to be rude for the sake of being rude because there is an issue I have that seems trivial to you?
>>
>>58314962
You're not here for anything, it's an imageboard, just continue on with your day?
>>
>>58314414
>but I also bought a new hard drive. Is it possible to use the old one as a storage device that already has everything I want to keep on it, and just boot from the new one and reinstall programs on the new one? Even though the old one has gone to shit?
Put the new hard drive in, keep the old one in also. Now start Win(7/10) installation and select the NEW hard drive (should display "empty" or something during ADVANCED/CUSTOM installation). And that's it. Want to boot your old system? You can. Want to boot your new good, fast, fresh one? You can too. And you can access all data, it's hjust a matter of finding everything and/or putting everything back into the right places. I.e. program settings, firefox, chrome profile under %APPDATA%, etc.
>>
File: 1483358123890.png (409KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1483358123890.png
409KB, 800x1000px
Top thread
>>
Yeah files can become corrupt overtime. If you truly used the internet for what you said you did, this is probably the case. Plus you'd probably be aware if your shit was overrun by viruses than just not being able to open certain file types. I would probably just boot from the new hard drive and use the other for storage and accessing your stuff. There won't be any problems from the old one because you aren't booting from that OS.
>>
>>5831498
Well, since your a self proclaimed idiot, how in the fuck are you so certain that you didn't cause the problem yourself (you did).

I can tell English isn't even your first language. Why don't you gas yourself you fucking subhuman?
>>
>>58314414
>all video files dont run in anything but itunes

Sounds like you have some shit OS. iTunes is designed to only run on trash.

>Is it possible to reinstall the operating system without losing personal data?

no... But just get rid of everything and just move the files you need from your backup (you DO backup right? If not, then pretend that your harddisk dies, which happens sometimes. And just get rid of the old one)

>>58314699
>Nah that's definitely not it. Always kept up with antivirus and very rarely would download software

Then how the fuck did you manage to fuck up your computer so much? Computers don't just turn that way. It sounds like it is full of malware (apart from itunes which you willingly admit is on your computer so you are not VERY careful)

>>58314989
>Have you never heard of files becoming corrupt? For someone as knowledgeable like you? I know little enough to call myself dumb on the issue yet I've witnessed file corruption first hand on many accounts.

Well, mr. smartass... Then all the files you open are corrupt then since you insist on that. Problem solved
>>
>>58315052
It's my 3rd language which I'm pretty proud of! Also I believe you're using the possessive 'your' as opposed to the contraction of "you are" = "you're"

And I'm not ruling out the possibility I caused these problems, obviously they don't happen on their own. 5 years of pro-audio + troubleshooting/attempting self help is somewhat demanding on a PC I think.

got my advice though glad you took the time to try to help.
>>
File: bait low quality.png (174KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait low quality.png
174KB, 600x600px
>>58315097
>Also I believe you're using the possessive 'your' as opposed to the contraction of "you are" = "you're"
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.