[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think about this god-given programm? Have you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: MATLAB-Logo.png (62KB, 587x222px) Image search: [Google]
MATLAB-Logo.png
62KB, 587x222px
What does /g/ think about this god-given programm?

Have you ever written you're own OS in matlab? why not?
>>
My first and to this date only experience of programming. It was mandatory in my university classes, I made every effort to avoid it as much as possible, still managed to graduate BSc (Hons) Mathematics. Why anyone would use this horrible piece of shit is beyond my comprehension. I looked for jobs that require Matlab and couldn't find fucking anything. What is the point of it?
>>
>>58310181
Very useful for automating homework and other things for when i was in engineering school, but i never used it as much more than a glorified calculator. what would you suggest?
>>
>>58310181
>Have you ever written you're own OS in matlab? why not?

No, but I fucked you are mother
>>
>>58310300
Pretty much the same for me (>>58310300), it was handy for matrix operations, I can't think of anything else I willingly used it for.
>>
>>58310181
Non-free and pig disgusting
>>
>>58310181
>Have you ever written you're own OS in matlab?
wew
>>
I'm taking an analysis class next semester that uses it. What am I in for?
>>
>>58310338
It's python except it takes longer to open and has a lot of nice graphing tools
>>
I fucking hated Matlab

just use python + scipy its so much better
>>
What about Simulink?
>>
There's tons of better options than matlab for essentially any task
>>
I love it ! Easiest and fastest way to do some basic signal processing (FFT and shit) and make nice plots of it.
People usually think that I'm a weirdo and don't wanna talk to me though
>>
Why does everybody hate it? It's not as if it's hard to use.
>>
>>58310380
Simulink is just a way to painfully do the things you could easily do with Matlab.
It makes nice looking block diagrams though, but you can do the same thing using MS Paint
>>
>>58310424
Ugly UI and non-free
>>
>>58310603
You realise none of these matter to people with real jobs?
>>
>>58310627
>Company doesn't have a matlab licence.

Wew
>>
File: 1455000558236.gif (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1455000558236.gif
18KB, 340x340px
>>58310603
>not using matlab in nodesktop mode
>not editing your scripts in vim

HAHAHAHA
>>
>>58310424
Ugly syntax, inactive community, lackluster performance, ridiculous price tag
>>
>>58310410
>t. someone who's never done any control theory/signal processing
>>
File: 1401490219611.png (122KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1401490219611.png
122KB, 666x666px
>>58310719
>using anime pictures on a meme website
>in 2017

HAHAHAHA
>>
>>58310746
>t. engineering undergraduate with baby duck syndrome
>>
>>58310803

A suitable controls library is literally nonexistant for any other language. Julia, python, even fucking octave's implementation is second hand joke.
>>
>>58310181
>Have you ever written you're own OS in matlab? why not?
This made me laugh.

MATLAB is the favorite tool of aging engineers for a reason. It plots, it solves linear systems, and there's a bunch of extra functionality that's been added to it over the years. At one point it was the only way for non-experts to get their hands on a good linear system solver. Corporations pay tens of thousands for licenses because the aging engineers don't realize that there are other ways to solve a linear system than in a MATLAB script.

MATLAB is an interpretive wrapper on some open source FORTRAN libraries. The wrapper has grown organically over the years and there's no consistency of design or purpose in the API, just generations of bolt-on crap.

It's ideally used for quickly prototyping some numerical code which can be implemented using better performing tools when the size of the problem is scaled up. Instead, it's used for everything and anything that a grad student can dream up. All .m files longer than a few hundred lines are monstrosities.
>>
I'm reading the GNU Octave manual and want to learn to use it for medical image processing.
It seems nice, you can get various numerical computations done very quickly.
Too bad Matlab is nonfree.
>>
Because writing it in octave.
>>
>>58310750
>not using anime pictures on an anime website
>>
>>58310299
Why do they let math majors go without cs?

It's so useless.
>>
>>58310322
>No, but I fucked you are mother
>you are mother
>you are
i`m not surprised you can´t write your own OS in matlab, you can barely write in english.
>>
>>58311087
Check out the Python module scikit-image that builds on Scipy/NumPy for image processing. Octave is really out of date, slow and not even fully compatible with MATLAB.
>>
File: gnuoctave.jpg (5KB, 195x176px) Image search: [Google]
gnuoctave.jpg
5KB, 195x176px
>>58310300
I started using Octave as a calculator replacement too. I just found it silly I had to get my calc when I'm in front of a COMPUTER.

I like it but, yeah, I've been suggested to move to Python.
>>
>>58312184
Julia is a better calculator than numpy, less verbose.
>>
>>58310181
i think its a tried and true high level language for numerics. you could make an OS in it if you had a matlab boner, sure. also a lot of people are moving to python with numpy/scipy etc now.

>>58310299
this is your only programming experience and they gave you a b math?
>>
MATLAB has some niche toolkits, but other languages, especially Python are rapidly replacing it. Nobody in academia wants to waste money on licenses.

For simple scripts it's only advantage is that it's syntax is a little more concise than numpy/matplotlib.

There's also the whole "every function pretty much needs its own file" thing
>>
>>58310719
>2017
>using an editor from the 1970s
baka desu senpai
>>
>>58311594
>hook, line, and sinker

>>58312184
>>58312473
I use LibreOffice Calc and Node as my calculator
>>
File: 1480980253217.jpg (115KB, 508x513px) Image search: [Google]
1480980253217.jpg
115KB, 508x513px
Me and my boyfriend T'kwali uses Matlabs for all our bodega constructions
>>
>>58313199
Good thing I use neovim.
>>
>>58310181
no
i'm not into programming medical shit
>>
>>58311594
>i`m not surprised you can´t write your own OS in matlab, you can barely write in english.

OP wrote "Have you ever written you are own OS in matlab?" (he just shortened the "are") so obviously being an idiot is a good sign that you HAVE been writing your own OS in matlab.
>>
>>58310181
>OS in matlab
doubt that is possible
>>
>>58310181
It's for brainlets.
>>
>>58310181
slow
decent libraries
easy to debug because you can inspect any variable very easily without inserting print statements, like you would in other languages
>>
did final AI project in MATLAB. Ran neural networks wizard, watched my GPA rise and the pucci floe
>>
>>58310181
It is nice if you want an easy way to implement algorithms but I would prefer it if my university used Fortran or C for its Numerics course, but the course is a joke anyways.

Programming in MATLAB feels very cheap, in the sense that you can ignore memory management, etc..
>>
>>58310181
>pros
Great for math calculations
Great for plotting shit (the best thing at it)
Great for rapid prototyping
Great for control systems
Easy to learn
Idiot proof with the gigantic amount of toolboxes that do everything for you
Easiest way of dealing with matrixes
Good for signal processing

>cons
Slow
There are free alternatives for a lot of its funcionalities
Slow
Shit at memory management
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>58311723
I have to use Octave, because people I will work with use Matlab, if it was just my own research then I'd probably go with Python :)
>>
>>58317015
And of course
>good replacements for it
Python with numpy, scipy and openCV
C++ with boost and openCV

GnuOctave a shit.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.