[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do employees mean when they require you to have "knowledge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (117KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
117KB, 400x400px
What do employees mean when they require you to have "knowledge of Linux"? Is being able to install Gentoo and rice your desktop good enough?
>>
When they say "knowledge of linux" they mean being able to use bash commands
>>
>>58304030
generally means bash and some familiarity with server distros (mainly CentOS and some Debian or SUSE)

see https://github.com/chassing/linux-sysadmin-interview-questions
>>
>>58304030
>Is being able to install Gentoo and rice your desktop good enough?
lmfao

:DD
>>
>>58304182

21yo linux user since i was 14 here, working as a sysadmin/devops for 2 years at a cool tech company
>>
>>58304048
But that's GNU knowledge.
>>
>>58304030
Yes. Many companies are now hiring 'Professional Ricers' to rice everyone's machine.

I even read about a community college offering a 1 year Ricing Certificate program.
>>
File: ping localhost.jpg (55KB, 747x210px) Image search: [Google]
ping localhost.jpg
55KB, 747x210px
>>58304182
>What is localhost and why would ping localhost fail?
Trick question, it wouldn't.
>>
>>58304328
It doesn't say it neccessarily fails, it's asking why it would fail. Off the top of my head that could be iptables or another interface except lo/lo0 configured with 127.0.0.1
>>
>>58304328
>>58304367
To add to this, many interview questions are designed with troubleshooting in mind.
>>
>>58304030
>implying /g/ could ever get a job
>>
>>58304182
Thanks for that link anon, it surprised me I knew about 70%.

To OP, get a raspberry pi/VPS/virtual machine with a server distro(Debian, CentOS if you're up for a challenge), set up a webserver/owncloud/vpn or other projects that require configuration through the command line with ssh. Do this for a month or how long it takes you to understand to what you're doing. Do the linux cli course on code academy. Install different distributions and DE's in virtual machines or a spare laptop/pc and configure them to the point of breaking, troubleshoot the problems, rinse and repeat.

These are all things that will learn you basic skills and knowhow about how linux systems work. After that take up programming/bash scripting/a good book about cli tools and just keep on going, you will get better.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.