[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just got started with linux (I tried Ubuntu, then Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 20170103_150429.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170103_150429.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So I just got started with linux (I tried Ubuntu, then Linux Mint and then Manjaro), and my question was: how do you become an experienced linux user? How do you learn how to use the terminal? How did YOU become so experienced?
>inb4 back to wangblows
>>
I learned new things as I needed them. Know what you are supposed to do and figure out how to do it.
>>
>>58302982
This is kind of a dead meme here, but I learned by using Arch.

During the installation process, you're forced to use the command line. And unless you're just copy-pasting commands from some sketchy tutorial, you're learning what those commands are actually doing and what's going on in the installation process by reading the official installation wiki.

The rest you just learn as you accumulate tasks you need done. For example say you want to un-comment a bunch of lines in a config file, but only certain comments that meet a critera, like server names or something. Well there's a way to do that with one command in the terminal.

Tl;dr you just learn as you go, provided you have actual tasks you need to do that require you to use the terminal
>>
>>58302982
Force yourself not to use the GUI and google how to do whatever it is you want to do by terminal. Slowly you will learn. Fucking up your machine is part of the experience, reformat and start over. Repetition and experimentation leads to knowledge.
>>
>>58302982
become an experienced linux user
>Install Gentoo/Arch
>Arch crashes everyfuckintime after system update
>You're gonna find out the problem and fix it
>Exp. gain

Consider the stability, I prefer fedora based distro
>>
>>58303194
>arch crashes after system update
Is this a meme or am I just extremely lucky?

Have been using Arch for a year now, no crashes, feelsgoodman.jpg

To be fair though I update almost every single day, I imagine some problems can be introduced if you let those updates accumulate without ever doing the pacman -Syu
>>
>>58302982
Install Arch, check man pages, write your own scripts and config files.
>>
>>58303194
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT COMPARING ARCH TO GENTOO. GENTOO IS THE MOST STABLE DISTRO BECAUSE YOU CAN CHOOSE PACKAGE VERSION.
>>
>>58303022
>>58303085
These.

Fiddle with configs. Write scripts. Automate tasks. Think up stuff, then implement. Get rid of bloat. Enhance your system in ways its maintainers could never do or think of.
>>
>>58302982
You learn by doing stuff that you need to get done on Linux. Also if you're just gonna use Linux for the same things that you use Windows for (browse the Internet, word processor) then you don't need wangblows.
>>
>>58303331
This. Also you rebuild packages for whatever library version is being installed, getting rid of most linkage incompatibility.

And, of cource, USE flags allow the riddance of some library deps entirely.
>>
>>58302982
Set up a web server (many guides online) to store stuff from another computer or a mail server and that sort of thing. Try to be very security conscious and only give the least amount of permissions that you need.

You might get a lot of good advice, but one thing that made me feel experienced was when I learned about regular expressions:

(I read the book 'Mastering Regular Expressions' ( http://a.co/iBSMlJo ) which is a good book and which you can read without a computer in front of you, because you have to look up stuff anyway the first times you use them)

Suddenly you can be able to do super advanced shit on your computer with stuff like sed and awk. You will also be a much better programmer in stuff like Python, Perl and other languages that support regex.

>>inb4 back to wangblows
anyone who would say that is a faggot. Welcome
>>
>>58302982
trial and error,i was the same 15 years ago or so,went through fedora,ubuntu,suse,everything..fucked up more comps than fixed but know terminal now like the back of my hand.
>>
>>58302982
Just use it

I didn't know shit when I began and had the Google everything. After a month I was able to start walking on my own two feet. Now, after a few years, I rarely have to Google what I want to do.

Practice makes perfect
>>
>>58302982
Setting up hotkeys
fixing some minor think with the window manager
installing steam and troubleshooting games
programming from CLI
Instakking Slackware
Using slackware
Installing arch
Using Arch
Installing gentoo
using gentoo

That was my order roughly. I still have a lot to learn but at least when I ancounter an issue I have some ideas before I need to resort to Duckduckgo
>>
>>58303194
Except the disaster that was fedora 24. 25 has been good so far, but that made me consider switching to opensuse.
>>
by installing arch linux. most people here dont dream in terminal commands, they just google stuff when needed and learn by doing. installing arch is a good point to start with as you have to go thru different aspects of a linux/gnu based OS like network managers, services and daemons, window managers , package managers ,...

good luck and have phun learning linux :)
>>
Download tldr-man and use that as your instructions.
>>
>>58302982
Force yourself to use the terminal. It is going to feel awkward and slow at first because it's not what you are used to. In time you'll forget all about that and then one day realize that you've become proficient with it and find it better.

If you want to be forced into learning and using your system like that, I'd recommend trying OpenBSD, either in a VM or on a spare HD. It's easy enough to get installed and booted, but it will force you to learn the OS inside and out. That said, it's not ideal for a lot of stuff you'd like to use an OS for. You could basically get the same forced learning from Gentoo or Arch, but both will make you jump through hoops to get up and running, and Arch will continue to make you jump through hoops to keep it in a usable state.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.