[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently using Linux From Scratch but I might not have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 4chan.png (118KB, 302x300px) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
118KB, 302x300px
I'm currently using Linux From Scratch but I might not have enough time to keep maintaining it on my laptop, what distro would /g/ recommend as a replacement? Please no mainstream trash like gentoo or arch.
>>
Ubuntu
>>
Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition 18.1 "Serena"
>>
Void Linux
>>
Antergos.

basically all the good aspects of arch with all the autistic stuff ripped out
>>
File: 1483237233986s.jpg (2KB, 125x69px) Image search: [Google]
1483237233986s.jpg
2KB, 125x69px
>>58299773
>mainstream trash
What are you, a Linux hipster? The fuck?
>>
>>58299773
Install gentoo
>>
>>58299773
Manjaro
>>
>>58299773

Devuan Jessie
>>
>>58299819
"I use a small artisian Linux made from one guy who lives in a cabin and all he does is hone his distro-making skills. Every single iso is hand crafted from the ground up... He even painstakingly retypes the kernel and corelibs"
>>
Exherbo or crux
>>
File: 1482518061756.gif (17KB, 329x302px) Image search: [Google]
1482518061756.gif
17KB, 329x302px
>>58299773
>using a nonfree proprietary apple version of an emoji
>thinks he can talk shit about gentoo
go away, you don't belong on /g/
>>
>>58299773
How hard is it to install LFS, I plan on switching to it and not being a distrovuck/Xorg cuck anymore
>>
>>58299855
gentoo ain't even on the FSF recommended distro list so you the one who can fuckoff
>>
>>58299875
it's not hard if you know your way around it, if you plan on using it you'll have to use a package manager or it'll quickly turn into hell to manage updates. I maintain a github with buildscripts and keep them up to date by checking the changelog on the lfs website.
>>
>>58299879
(((FSF))) is trash
Not open source software, just FSF
>>
>>58299773
>gentoo
>Arch
>mainstream
Look at top 10 distros on DistroWatch.com, exclude debian, Fedora, CentOS, Arch and Antergos. Pick one of the remaining ones.
>>
>>58299907
Any worthwhile social movement needs to have its zealots. Yes they are obnoxious sperglords, but without them free software would be a lot less free.
>>
>>58300251
except they suck in money like the jews they are, and what have they fucking accomplished in the past 5 years? No good open source graphics cards drivers, "[insert year NEVER] is the year of linux", and I havent heard mum from them for being a fucking "social movement". Call a nigger a nigger, the FSF are just a bunch of jews.
>>
>>58300275
They used to sue anybody who appropriated any GPL code without adhering to its Draconian terms. Now they don't have to sue because their existence is sufficient to deter others from proprietising free software for personal gain.
Yes they are Jews. Yes Stallman hasn't done any actual programming for decades. But their simple existence is, at this point, sufficient to keep free software alive. Others can code, let the FSF handle the faggotry.
>>
>>58300275
>No good open source graphics cards drivers

in case you are not baiting: graphic card drivers are handled by either the linux kernel team or opendesktop.org not fsf.

And they suck because nvidya and amd are both dumb shits who don't release enough specs for their cards so FLOSS devs can work with them meanwhile their proprietary crapware drivers suck on donkey cock on so much levels it shouldn't even be possible.
>>
>>58300336
>sued people, now just remains as a warning, getting paid to do next to nothing
So what you are saying is FSF is an ideas guy?
>>
>>58300358
No, they're free software's legal department and resident troll.
>>
>>58300355
>graphic card drivers are handled by either the linux kernel team or opendesktop.org not fsf.
>The FSF sponsors the GNU project—the ongoing effort to provide a complete operating system licensed as free software. We also fund and promote important free software development and provide development systems for GNU software maintainers

That is straight from their website.
>>
File: Bitches.gif (967KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bitches.gif
967KB, 500x500px
>>58299845
Kek
>>
>>58300355
AMD is actually quite open-source friendly, at least compared to Nvidia.
>>
>>58300379
They can't do shit without the appropriate support from Nvidia and AMD. If you're upset that you can't play Call of Duty on Linux you'd be better off taking it up with them instead of complaining that the FSF can't reverse-engineer your graphics card.

>>58300419
>al-qaeda is actually quite Western style democracy-friendly, at least compared to ISIS
>>
>>58300419
at least you don't need to be behind on xorg to even use nvidia drivers
>>
>>58299773
If you want something that just werks then go for Manjaro or OpenSUSE.

If you're wanting to put in some effort but don't want anything "mainstream" then maybe for slackware or funtoo.
>>
File: airwrecka.jpg (14KB, 250x178px) Image search: [Google]
airwrecka.jpg
14KB, 250x178px
>>58299819
>2kb
>>
>>58300964
I can vouch for openSUSE, we switched our servers at work from Gentoo to openSUSE which made me change my home distro and I'm so glad I did, yast is quite fantastic.

I run Leap, I am yet to try tumbleweed
>>
>>58301016
where do you work... at the toilet store?
>>
>>58300434
at least with xorg you're not forced to suck gnome devs dick
>>
>>58299773
>Spending a week installing LFS instead of 30 minutes installing ubuntu
For what purpose?
>>
>>58301119
>30 minutes
It takes around 10 maybe less, unless you haven't downloaded the .iso and made a bootable drive/install media.
>>
>>58301119
>noobuntu
>>
>>58301175
It just works and it also triggers archkids hard.
>>
>>58301119
it doesn't take me much time now that I have my git repo with buildscripts for each package and bash scripts to build base system/ X11
>>
>>58301119
The first time you do it, for a sense of accomplishment and to learn about compilation and the inner workings of Linux. More than once is simply the bad kind of autism.
>>
>>58301266
>More than once is simply the bad kind of autism.
Or if you're doing embedded work.
>>
>>58301106
Top quality lavoratories at competitive prices
>>
>>58301179
LFS is pretty comfy as well, you should give it a try.
>>
>>58301286
No m8, it's pretty easy to download a Raspbian image.
>>
Exherbo, Gentoo or GuixSD
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.