[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to reinstall Win 7 on my gaming PC. What can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1311313515.jpg (70KB, 1358x905px) Image search: [Google]
1311313515.jpg
70KB, 1358x905px
So I'm going to reinstall Win 7 on my gaming PC.

What can and should I do to reduce the botnet?
Which Windows Updates should be installed if any?
>>
>>58265414
http://wu.krelay.de/en/

kb3172605 fixes updating hell on new installs. *IMPORTANT*

you need to install kb3020369 and kb3177467 first.

do those three at least.
>>
>>58266268
Thanks buddy
>>
>>58266268

Doesn't work like that anymore.
>>
>>58265414
>falling for le botnet meme
>>
>>58266330
It's not just that. Recent updates are generally detrimental to the system.
>>
>>58265414
>Install a clean W7 SP1 iso
>activate it (and office as well) with MS Toolkit (Daz loader if you chose ultimate)
>Disable updates asap and never touch it again
>Disable automatic defrag if it's on
>Set up a whitelist firewall allowing only the apps you use
>Do monthly malwarebytes scans or so just in case
done
>>
>>58266364
>>Disable automatic defrag if it's on
Why?
>>
>>58265414
Unplug it from internet.
>>
>>58266374
I'm assuming you're using an SSD so it's not necessary, leave it on if you're with an HDD as main drive but still

>hdd as main drive in 2017
>>
>>58266391
You assume correctly.
I have HDDs as secondary mass file storage but I use other tools to defrag those.

Thanks for the advice.
Are there really no updates I should install?
>>
>>58266408
I don't because i tested having a clean w7 install + drivers and a fully updated w7 install + drivers, the fully updated install felt less responsive overall and more bloated.

Maybe it's because of the five or so years of patches and shit bundled in, there's also the MS backporting W10 botnet thing and no doubt they'll backport even more crap in the future.

Don't take my word for it though since that was my own experience, feel free to test it with your hardware or VMs and choose by yourself.
>>
>>58266484
Fair enough. I can't particularly think of any updates that are genuinely necessary. I'll have to do some more digging just to make sure though.
>>
>>58266364
>doesn't bother editing the shit out of task scheduler, such as killing the performance and resource hog known as winsat and the microsoft media center
>doesn't disable windows defender
no more CPU cycles being eaten by useless microsoft processes for me
>>
>>58266503
Yeah forgot about those too, defender and its real time protection is useless since you'll be scanning with mbytes anyway.
>>
>>58266503
>>58266520
>microsoft media center
>implying I'm not going to install Windows 7 N

Though it's a good idea to disable those too. Cheers.

Anything besides winsat that I should disable?
>>
>>58266548
Remote desktop service. You don't need that since you're only gaming.
I'm on a clean windows 7 SP1 install here as well, no updates. Steam and GoG generally bundle in whatever microsoft dependencies you need for the game.
What you might want to do is install some common third party programs that improve daily use. Head over to nanami-tan.info and grab these:

WinCDEmu - easy way to mount .bin .iso files, such as playstation 1/2 isos, superior to daemon tools

AltDrag - scrolling inactive windows, holding down alt lets you click anywhere to MOVE a window without clicking on the titlebar, can also allow you to resize from anywhere on a window without clicking on edges

Dexpot - multiple virtual workspaces/windows, more than what Windows 10 can offer, the only problem is the installer it comes with garbage german software offers bundled in, so watch what you click when installing

Gridy - primitive but effective program to render your program windows into "tiles", no this is not a tiling windows manager, it only arranges windows into 9 preset dimensions defined by the user using the numpad

T-Clock - lets you add seconds to your taskbar clock and generally customize how your calendar or clock looks like

7+ Taskbar Tweaker - edit the taskbar, most useful feature is lists, say you have multiple tabs on firefox or chrome, instead of an entire row of annoying thumbnails, this lets you change it into a dropdown list
>>
>>58266714
Thanks for the info.
I do more than just game on it. I use it for programing an general office/CAD software but I doubt I'll need the remote desktop service for that either.

I don't think I'll need Gridy seeing as I have no numpad.
The rest of the software sounds pretty great though. I forgot about nanami-tan so I'll be sure to browse through that too.
>>
>>58266847
Thank you for this wonderful contribution.
You are surely a genius. You should be hailed by linus torvalds himself!
>>
>>58266870
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
>>
>>58266938
I love this pasta.
>>
>>58265414
>2017
>proprietary software
>>
>>58266964
preach it, brother
>>
>>58266364
Where do I get MS Toolkit?
>>
>>58267464
MS toolkit a shit, use daz loader
>>
>>58266970
It's not even 2017 yet
>>
>>58267524
It's almost 2018 already.
>>
>>58265414
Get Tiny7 ISO.
De-botnet win7 ultimate though only 32bit.
>>
The best way to reduce the botnet is to install a different operating system

If you wanna eliminate it though you should know that it's not possible unless you stop using internet altogether
>>
>>58265414
>being a contrarian shit
You can disable most every spyware on W10.
>>
>>58268929
>It's a fact you can't.
>If you think anything otherwise you are just ignorant, a person who hasn't spend any time or effort in to understanding how things work
>Just give me an excuse that I can turn it off so I can feel guilt free for giving into windows 10 that was push on us so hard that it was both made free and forced to upgrade on a lot of people.
>>
File: windoze2495.jpg (18KB, 622x447px) Image search: [Google]
windoze2495.jpg
18KB, 622x447px
>>58265414
the moment any Windows system touches the internet it connects with the Borg and gets assimilated
>>
There's no botnet. You have been memed.
>>
>>58268929
Except there's no "spyware" in Windows 10.
>>
>>58266364
>>doesn't bother editing the shit out of task scheduler, such as killing the performance and resource hog known as winsat and the microsoft media center
Can you elaborate please?
>>
File: Mohammed_Saeed_al-Sahaf-1.jpg (27KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Mohammed_Saeed_al-Sahaf-1.jpg
27KB, 450x450px
>>58269297
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.