[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so hey I have an abundance of old-school incandescent light

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: incandescent-light-bulb.jpg (22KB, 605x328px) Image search: [Google]
incandescent-light-bulb.jpg
22KB, 605x328px
Ok so hey I have an abundance of old-school incandescent light bulbs in the closet. Pretty much all lightbulbs in my house were replaced with LEDs over the past few years for the sake of saving on electricity.

But it's winter now and I often just shut the furnace off and use a small space heater in my battlestation, which is where I spend 99% of my time, for additional energy savings.

But if I am using electrical resistance to heat up my room in the winter, is there any point in NOT swapping out the LEDs in my room with the incandescents? Couple positives to this. I would be using up this stock gradually rather than just chucking it in the trash, AND I would have incomparably better light quality in my room rather than eye-watering PWM led light? Basically, to use the inefficiency of the incandescent bulbs to take some load off the space heater, if that makes sense. Your thoughts?
>>
>>58252968
Use GPUs and doing BOINC or Folding@Home. It's a better waste of electricity.
>>
>>58252997
The question here is if incandescent light bulbs actually are a waste of electricity if you are using a space heater to heat up your room.
>>
>>58253046
Of course they are.

What will make you feel warmer, 10x 100w light bulbs or 1 space heater ?

Plus you know, a space heater was designed with keeping you warm in mind, heat just happens to be a byproduct of creating light for a light bulb.
>>
>>58253078
Assuming you meant a 1000W space heater (mine is 1500W) then yes, the same amount of heat energy would be generated in the room.

But of course the space heater would make me feel warmer because it is circulating the air around the room with a fan. But with a few bulbs on I could dial back the power on the space heater while still using it to circulate the air. It would be the same, right?
>>
>>58252968
A space heater is an incandescent bulb with a bigger filament so it doesn't need a vacuum or envelope of inert gas around it. With the incandescent bulbs you're forgoing the heat part by using a portion of that energy for light. Better to use the LED just for light since it uses less energy for that specific purpose and buy another space heater for heat.

Also, the furnace is what stops pipes from freezing and then bursting in the walls. So, energy savings vs completely water soaked/destroyed home is something worth considering before your comfy, warm battle station turns into a cold swamp.
>>
>>58252968
Keep the incandescent bulbs. They're worth more than you think.

Sell them to a some highschool theatre department or indie student film group.

Using a lightbulb with the main intent of heat instead of light is stupid and a waste of perfectly good tungsten.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.