[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people dislike flat response speakers/headphones so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: MicDSLR-5.jpg (34KB, 675x376px) Image search: [Google]
MicDSLR-5.jpg
34KB, 675x376px
Why do people dislike flat response speakers/headphones so much? Do they not know that a flat response is the perfect candidate to get whatever kind of sound you want through EQ? It's objectively the best choice.
>>
>>58248885
>messing around with EQ
guess how i can tell you're a NEET
>>
>Using an EQ
fuck off pal
>>
Tl;dr because music and taste is subjective

2/10 made me reply
>>
>>58249108

> Some people like more bass or more mid
> Some people use EQ to compensate for room acoustics
> Hate them because some audio fools told you EQs are the devil

Go back to headfi
>>
>>58248885
Because i've seen most people only care about bass and also because >>58249154

also EQing is cancer unless you use a parametric eq instead of a graphical one
>>
>>58248885
The human hearing response is NOT flat, and humans of different ages hear differently, so speakers with flat responses may sound worse to them.

The frequency response of the human ear changes based off the SPL you are exposed to as well, so flatter speakers tend to sound better at louder volumes (since human frequency response becomes less accentuated at higher decibel levels).

Also the quality of a speaker/headphone is hardly a function of its frequency response, so a cheaply constructed speaker with a relatively flat response could sound a lot worse than a horribyl colored speaker of higher quality.

>>58249238
This, a parametric equalizer must be used, which is costly and difficult to calibrate.

Using trendy graphic equalizers (or god forbid the equalizer on your software) on a flat curve can never come close to the natural sound of a colored speaker.
>>
>>58251302
this post is a 10/10, but why saged?
>>
>>58253356
That's his name, he's the sound sage.
>>
>>58248885
>Why do people dislike flat response speakers/headphones so much?
The opposite is true when all but sound is taken out of the equation. People prefer mostly flat, smooth and extended frequency response. Speaker response should be flat so we have a reference point to calibrate our systems to and that all audio mixed in a (hopefully) flat response in a studio will sound as intended in home environment too.
>>
>>58251302
What about software parametric EQs?

I find them easier to set up than the usual graphical EQs and you even have more control over the curve of the frequencies you're modifying.
>>
>>58254148
Much better option than a hardware solution. More powerful, higher quality.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.