[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since I'm bored as hell and tired of all the shitposting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: me-and-luke-skywalker.jpg (31KB, 760x459px) Image search: [Google]
me-and-luke-skywalker.jpg
31KB, 760x459px
Since I'm bored as hell and tired of all the shitposting currently going on, I figured I might as well do something about it and create a thread where I answer something meaningful.

I'm a PhD student currently working on a project together with a company that creates PCIe-based interconnects. The project aims to create a unified framework for dynamically sharing IO devices between multiple compute nodes in a PCIe cluster.

Ask me anything, but keep it /g/ related.
>>
how do PCIe speed decrease w.r.t distance?

how do you manage defeat laziness when you need to study something?
>>
>>58248297
>how do PCIe speed decrease w.r.t distance?
Distance increases latency of course. To give you an idea, roughly 150 nanoseconds per hop/switch.

>how do you manage defeat laziness when you need to study something?
I have a real hard time overcoming laziness actually and although I have some work ethics, it has just become worse the older I get. I'm open with my supervisor about this, so I've told him to get on my back if I start slacking off and I try to have regular 10 minutes meetings where I talk about my progress that day.
>>
>>58248263
Lol'd at the file name
>>
>>58248382
>Distance increases latency of course. To give you an idea, roughly 150 nanoseconds per hop/switch.
but no decrease on speed? no matter the ambient EM noise? what kind of interconnects do you use?

>I have a real hard time overcoming laziness actually and although I have some work ethics, it has just become worse the older I get. I'm open with my supervisor about this, so I've told him to get on my back if I start slacking off and I try to have regular 10 minutes meetings where I talk about my progress that day.
hmm, yeah, social pressure works, but otoh, I wouldn't do this, t.b.h. I'd feel like an slave or something

I have to study some shit this weekend... and here I am, caring about a totally unrelated topic and shitposting
>>
>>58248504
>but no decrease on speed?
Well, not in terms of bandwidth (aka (giga/mega)bytes per second), no.

>no matter the ambient EM noise?
I'm really not into the physical stuff, but PCIe is layered into three layers (like networking stack) and the lower levels handle error correction and reliability.

>what kind of interconnects do you use?
They are made by the company I work with, the current model is using some PLX switches and creating an NTB.

>I have to study some shit this weekend... and here I am, caring about a totally unrelated topic and shitposting
I'm very familiar with the problem, after almost 10 years attending university (I did my masters on overtime due to working full time simultaneously).
>>
>PhD
Is this really necessary in this day and age?
>>
>>58248263
what's the cluster for? graphics stuff, cracking passwords...?
>>
>>58248689
Depends entirely on where you live and what the situation is there, and also what your aspirations are.

In my case, a PhD would generally be considered unnecessary (or even overqualified) for most jobs in my immediate area, but the number of jobs here that are interesting to me are quite low, so I probably need to apply abroad. In order to compete internationally, I figured a PhD would get me at least somewhat ahead.

Also, if you plan on a career in academia and research (which I don't), a PhD is pretty much a musthave.
>>
>>58248691
The company makes the interconnect itself, their customers use the interconnects for a wide variety of thing.

Basically, the solution allows you to create a shared memory architecture between all the connected hosts.

I know that a US-based subsidiary of the company sells the solution to Lockheed Martin and that it is used in some fighter planes (PCIe is surprisingly very suitable for rugged environment). The guys that discovered the gravitation waves almost a year ago also used the interconnects and software suite for their own cluster.

I'm not so much involved with the company that I know what the different customers use their clusters for, but I know it's suitable for a different number of things.

In my own experiments, I try to push data from SSDs to Nvidia GPUs as efficiently as possible. Once I have my preliminary solution up and running, the plan is to accelerate a 3D reconstruction tool that my research group is contributing to on top of this. I also have some colleagues that are doing real-time computer vision combined with some machine-learning stuff on GPUs, which I also plan to test if we're able to run faster on a test cluster.

I'm a system's guy, and not so much an application guy. My role in the project is to help create a generic framework.
>>
>>58248784
What kind of background do you have? CS, EE, Computer Engineering?
>>
>>58248853
Some kind of hybrid between CS and CE, I guess. It's called "informatics" in my country, but it encompasses everything from EE stuff to HCI stuff, to applied mathematics, to bioinformatics, to logic, linguistics/semantics and theoretical computer science. The route I took was called "programming and networks", and the electable classes were generally hands-on programming classes for low-level and networking stuff.
>>
>informatics
I guess this is common in Yuroland, right?
>>
>>58249318
At least in the nordic countries and the german speaking ones.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.