[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, I just got a Steam Link and I'm trying to use it over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Untitled.png (54KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
54KB, 1600x1000px
Hi, I just got a Steam Link and I'm trying to use it over wifi. The problem is, my computer is connected over wifi and so is the Steam Link, making it very laggy and unplayable. Would the option portrayed to the left in the picture work better? Sorry if this is the wrong board to ask this in but if you can redirect me to the correct one that would be great
>>
Just get a pair of powerline ethernet adapters from Amazon or whatever. It's basically the same as having a wired connection. They send the internet connection through the electrical outlet. Sounds strange, but it works perfectly. I'm actually using powerline ethernet myself.
>>
>>58245265
So I would just plug one in my computer right next to it and the same for the Steam Link? That sounds like a good idea. How much do they cost? Also do you know what these are that came with the Link by any chance?
>>
File: 2016-12-30 15.15.26.jpg (302KB, 1011x569px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-30 15.15.26.jpg
302KB, 1011x569px
>>58245416
Whoops forgot picture
>>
>>58245416
You plug one into the wall near the modem, and connect the modem to it with an ethernet cable.
Then you just plug another one into the wall near whatever device you want to connect to the internet, like your computer, and connect your computer to that with another ethernet cable.
So if you want to connect both a steam link and your computer via powerline ethernet, you have 2 options.
1: Buy 3 powerline ethernet adapters. One for the modem, one for the cpmputer, and one for the Steam Link.
2: Buy powerline ethernet adapters with 2 ethernet ports instead of one. Then you have 1 for the modem, and another for the pc + Steam Link.

You can get them for like $20 and up. Just literally search Amazon for "powerline ethernet adapters".
>>
File: B000QGBC8C-1.jpg (20KB, 491x319px) Image search: [Google]
B000QGBC8C-1.jpg
20KB, 491x319px
Here's a picture in case you're confused about how it works.
>>
>>58245546
ok, I dont think I could do option 2 because the computer and steam link are far apart from eachother. So it will cost at least $60 for 3 adapters? thats a little expensive
>>
>>58245416
Well, powerline ethernet works BUT, you need to make sure both ends of the connection belongs to the same branch on your electrical grid or whatever you want to call it. If you can, you should investigate how your home is wired up electrically before investing.

I'm personally of the idea that using WiFi for any part of this system is a bad idea and should be avoided though. Just go the extra mile and install ethernet cables into your walls and be done with it.
>>
>>58245621
>thats a little expensive
Well do you wanna play games or not? You literally started a thread about how your wifi is unusable for gaming, and I gave you the easiest solution.

Here's adapters for $65.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-TL-PA4010-TKIT/dp/B01AHZUT8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483129947&sr=8-2&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter+3+pack
>>
>>58245442
Those are power adapters for other countries outlet standards, you Dingus
>>
>Router in the basement.

There's your problem
>>
>>58245745
alright I guess if this is the only option this will do. Thanks.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.