[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, serious question here m8s. I've been trying to learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1478555913794.jpg (31KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
1478555913794.jpg
31KB, 400x333px
Hey, serious question here m8s.

I've been trying to learn Java since 2014 but I was never actually dedicated to it so I pretty much learned exactly jack shit.

But I've started seriously allocating most of my time to learning and holy shit, why does it make so much sense? I grasped pretty much 90% of basic Java and OOP in 3 days (havent really analysed Interfaces yet, only thing I have left for the basics). So the question is,

What's next? How do I proceed?
Also, did I really learn anything substantial? I mean I know I still have tons of shit to learn but everything just makes so much sense
>>
>>58243945
they dont call it java, now, grandad, its called jarver
>>
Haha where did you find a picture of gandalf smoking crack?
>>
>>58244617
That's Obi-Wan from Star Wars Episode 4 (A New Hope) - limited screen previews available and the title was leaked btw, this is the sequel to Rogue One. Apparently Obi-Wan is this badass jedi that smokes blunts in his free time.

Wait the blunt may have been photoshopped.
>>
Java is super consistent in its syntax, it's easy to learn.

Interfaces are classes that don't have behaviour. You have to implement everything.

I'd say learn some oop patterns next.
>>
>>58244584
wat

>>58244617
I frequent /o/ and found it there, I busted my ass laughing when I saw it kek

>>58244685
Yeah by the little I saw about interfaces I figured as much. Gotta read up on them

For some fucking reason, Oracle's tutorials are structured in a way that makes you think a bonobo high on yay designed them. The lambda expressions tutorial is exactly BEFORE the interfaces tutorial, so when you read it you're stuck wondering if you have undiagnosed Alzheimers because you dont recognise half of the shit presented
>>
I don't know much about java, but you might want to take a look at design patterns (in particular, the Gang of Four book). It's not strictly a java thing, but if you have the basics down, then that's probably a good thing to learn next.
Anyway, I'm happy you're enjoying it, keep it up OP
>>
>>58243945
Go learn javascript and stop cucking yourself with middle management hell the programming language.
>>
>>58245988
Thanks man, I'll start on them tomorrow

>>58246105
Ever heard about self employment m8?
>>
>>58246212
I am self-employed.

If self-employment is your goal then I can only reiterate that you are cucking yourself with Java.

If self-employment is not your goal and you instead prefer to work for aging corporate behemoths and live out your fantasy of being a pajeet, then by all means learn Java.

If your goal is to learn a programming language that's designed and marketed for use by large organizations, then learn Golang since it's essentially the modern equivalent of Java and then some.

Despite my trolling I am legitimately trying to help you.
>>
>>58246392
Genuinely curious, is Java being phased out?

Generally what's wrong with Java? Isn't it more flexible and adaptable than pretty much every other local language?

Even then, my question is why does the language I use matter since I'm self employed?
>>
>>58246527
>Genuinely curious, is Java being phased out?

It was phased out a while ago among major tech companies. It's still insanely popular in corporate environments at large though.

>Generally what's wrong with Java? Isn't it more flexible and adaptable than pretty much every other local language?

The extremely mature tooling around it encourages writing horribly bloated code since you have good ways of dealing with it. Those practices and reliance on those tools means it's hard to escape the Java bubble.

Java also lacks an active and vibrant culture around it since it's been around so long and is the furthest thing from trendy at this point. Whether you care about playing with the shiniest new programs and having easy access to overenthusiastic youth with shared interests determines whether this is relevant to you.

It's also lost out on "flexible and adaptable" to Javascript at this point since Javascript is the all consuming cancer of the modern age and can easily be run on any platform for any purpose thanks to its hyperactive community of crusaders. Or if you're going for "flexible and adaptable" in the sense of logical complexity, then Lisp is hands down the winner despite being largely impractical.

>Even then, my question is why does the language I use matter since I'm self employed?

If your goal is money, then trendy new languages will help you quickly network and snag well paying contracts.

If your goal is doing interesting work, then I think it's a safe bet that the people doing stuff you're most interested in aren't using Java to do it.

If your goal is getting shit done and programming isn't your main concern, then I'll reiterate that Javascript has out-cancered Java at this point and is infesting every computing related thing known to mankind.

tl;dr: Java is for corporate dinosaur wagecucks and you have a better option available in every other situation.
>>
>>58243945
Pajeet, I...
>>
Because programming is logical, and exciting when you're first learning, because unlike most bullshit out there in the world like arts and media, it's all very objective. That is until you get into proper program design, scalability vs time management (program can be modified vs client's deadline is met), type theory and all such subjectivity.

FP is fun too.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.