[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://twitter.com/darrencauthon/s tatus/813096722989809665

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

File: C0iyzwLUQAAUKWE.jpg (283KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
C0iyzwLUQAAUKWE.jpg
283KB, 2048x1536px
https://twitter.com/darrencauthon/status/813096722989809665

>LG

NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
File: 1478902780563.png (35KB, 321x357px) Image search: [Google]
1478902780563.png
35KB, 321x357px
>Android
>>
smart tvs are cancer
>>
File: pg.jpg (463KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
pg.jpg
463KB, 1536x2048px
>>58241800
>>
File: 1483113256234.png (168KB, 720x678px) Image search: [Google]
1483113256234.png
168KB, 720x678px
> Install malware
> Is surprised to get malware
Are normies really this stupid?
>>
how does one manage to get malware on their tv?
>>
>>58242195
The problem is that android is the new old Windows while Microsoft the past decade have gotten their shit together and have made attempts to lock down their products. It proves that just because you run a linux kernel in the bottom is no guarantee for a secure system. If the users are retarded and allowed too much freedom shit is going to happen.

Plus if the app was installed from google play then most normies would assume it's safe to install and use.
>>
It's so sad that you need to get large-scale social media attention for this to be fixed since they want to make easy money.

Stuff like this should be included in the service manual, not some hidden key combination for them to jew people out of money.
>>
>>58242203
Welcome to the Internet of Things
Coming up next: "Trojans on my fridge? It's more likely than you think!"
>>
>>58242195
man normies really are beyond help
>have smart tv
>never use smart shit
>no problems
>>
>>58241800
he already fixed it:
https://youtu.be/0WZ4uLFTHEE?t=290
>>
>>58242270
>leave TV connected to internet because of software update
>get rooted due to hard coded login details present in the firmware
>enjoy taking part in DDoS world records
Unless you actually have an enterprise grade firewall locking your shit down then you are probably already a part of the botnet.
>>
>>58242239
My ISP hands out IPv6 addresses like candy. The router provided by them NATs my IPv4. But every other device on the network that's IPv6 capable gets their own public IPv6 address. Can't wait for IPv6 enable IoTs. That's the next level botnet.
>>
>>58242220
>The problem is that android is the new old Windows while Microsoft the past decade have gotten their shit together and have made attempts to lock down their products.
And all of /g/ hates them for that by calling it botnet that they automatically install security updates because people (including the tards on /g/) were too lazy to, to the point of Microsoft security becoming a meme.
>>
>>58242239
I'm sure we're already at that point
>>
>>58242303
>an enterprise grade firewall
it's called not being connected to the internet, dipshit

who needs software updates when the only thing you'll ever do is display content on it from HDMI ports?
>>
>>58241800
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Smart''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''tv''''''''s

lol
>>
Is there a way to scan a smart tv from a computer for malware?
>>
>>58242270
The trick is that they will eventually all be connected regardless of whether you give it access to your network.

The profits from showing you ads far outweigh the costs of providing mobile network access to the device.
>>
File: 1327280990317.jpg (64KB, 246x235px) Image search: [Google]
1327280990317.jpg
64KB, 246x235px
>>58242404
>connected
>no network access
Choose one.
>>
>>58242427

He literally means a 3g/4g connection built in.
>>
>>58242363
Personally I got a pink screen every third time I connected my TV to my bedroom desktop PC. Plugging the TV into the network to have it's firmware updated to fix the problem is a such case where it needs to be connected to the internet shithead.

Also normies actually use the smart TV functions for netflix and other TV related on-demand entertainment. But you that consumes all your entertainment on a CRT from the 90s would never understand.
>>
>>58242464
The entire point of 5G. They call it "machine to machine communication".
>>
>>58242541

Well I don't give a shit I won't own a new Tv ever.
>>
>>58242464
>implying manufacturers will pay for this
>implying manufacturers who can't lock down their OSes will successfully lock down their hypothetical wan radios

Embedded 4g is a meme until such time as mobile carriers stop being ass.
>>
>>58242574

I don't see how anything would stop it from becoming a thing.

People will buy a TV that is always online. They won't even question the possible negatives of this.
>>
>>58242622
Because there's no reason for it to be a thing. No manufacturer is going to add $money to the price of every device and pay the carriers out the ass for their extortionate transfer rates.
>>
>>58242552
Such is life in mom's basement on autism bux.
>>
>>58242338
Microsoft's anti-user practices can be finely separated from their attempts to catch and fix critical security vulnerabilities.
>>
While the person is a retard for installing it in the first place, why not have a reset switch in the back or something when shit hits the fan ?
>>
>>58242639
You don't seem to understand. The benefits from presenting unlockable, fully pervasive ads, as well as those of tracking everything a user does with (and in front of) their TV are immense.
>>
File: 1479598197346.jpg (11KB, 304x271px) Image search: [Google]
1479598197346.jpg
11KB, 304x271px
>mfw still on a sony trinitron
>>
>>58242639

I think your transfer rates are based on consumer ones, instead of corporate ones, and above all that - technologically the cost is almost nonexistent, so its just up to offloading it to someone who deems it worth it, for which
>>58242687
makes a good point.

>>58242649

>he watches TV
Well I don't anon, and projectors are, and in a few years VR will be superior.
>>
>>58242735
sony has some gems
>>
Just bought a 4k smart tv from samsung. Did I fuck up? The motion plus I really like for 30 fps games feeling smooth like 60
>>
>>58242788
>Well I don't anon,
Me neither but that doesn't stop me from buying a 120" TV for the bedroom for nice late night browsing, netflix and twitch from bed powered by a desktop.
>and projectors are, and in a few years VR will be superior.
I have a 4k projector and ps4 VR. As said that doesn't stop me from buying a TV. And VR is a meme. It's a great party device but eventually everyone goes fuck this. That is boring as shit. Turn on something cool on your 300" projector screen instead.
>>
>>58242855

I guess when you get bored of showing off your wealth in an online chinese rat-shearing forum, you go to your pool filled with coins and take a big dip too.

See you anon.
>>
>>58242836
If you are enjoying it then you made a fine choice.

The fact of the matter is that almost all consumer technologies will be subject to insecurity hell over the next decade until personal computing is significantly curtailed in some way.
>>
>>58242239
It's already happening with shit like Mirai.
>>
>>58242872
>showing off your wealth
kek
>TV for ~$10000
>projector for ~$4000
>ps4 vr ~$600
People on autism bux in my country can afford that if they save up for 2 years. Just skip the vacation abroad 2 years in a row and you can afford it. Having a job makes it easier. Not really seeing how any of that is showing off wealth.
>>
>>58243057
>Not really seeing how any of that is showing off wealth.

Then you have a lot of problems, do you have enough money for a therapist?
>>
>>58242574
>>58242622
>>58242639
It's already done with many new cars. The cost of the networking hardware and the data services is becoming so cheap that it will surely be done with TVs and many other things as well. Data collection and advertising is big business and can easily turn a profit above the transmission costs.
>>
>>58243074
Different scales anon. Consider that there are countries in the world where a majority of the population live on less than $1 a day. Many of which don't even have electricity or running water.

Now consider this. Would one of these people believe you are showing off for browsing 4chan with the help of internet and electricity?

Bonus question would they think you show off for using an indoor flushing toilet that wastes 10 liters of fresh water with every flush? That you need help from a professional therapist to fix your toilet manners?
>>
>lock device down so idiots cant install anything
>complaints everywhere

>allow users to install everything
>idiots install virii and want it fixed

:^)
>>
>Have a 5 year old TV
>download a shit Android Pay outdated app for movie streaming
>get hacked
>strongarm for a fix
>sheeple buys into it
This is someone using the Y2K bug all over again, after we already know how to patch that
>fuck you imma use my Windows 98 anyway
>>
File: 1478656596027.jpg (16KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1478656596027.jpg
16KB, 225x225px
I just bought a smart TV and put it in a DMZ exactly for this reason. Next we'll hear about hackers blowing up smart TVs or some shit.
>>
>>58243277

No, its the matter of making comments all about pointing out what you have and what others don't.
You stupid narcissistic fuck can't even recognize your pathetic behavior you probably got from inheriting too much and being brought up by a pair of people who never ever cared for you one bit.

Have fun being proud of spending money while everyone hates you.
>>
>>58242220
>while Microsoft the past decade have gotten their shit together
u wot m8
i'll admit MSE had a nice little run but it promptly went back to being inferior compared to other products like kaspersky and nod32.
>>
>>58242303
>TV
>software update
?
>>
>smart tv
>dumb user
>>
>>58241800
>install some app off the app store because muh pirated movies
>get malware

How is this LG's fault?
>>
>>58242239
That happens every time I host an orgy and I'm sick of it.
>>
File: CjDh8i8XAAE_HFT.jpg (50KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
CjDh8i8XAAE_HFT.jpg
50KB, 480x320px
>>58244020
Even after a decade of digital media, developers still somehow manage to fuck up.
>>
>>58243902
Whew lad. Maybe you should get a job or something so you too can be happy and enjoy life. If you don't want to discuss why people buy a TV when there are projectors and VR then don't bring it up in the first place. I brought up relevant user experience with said products and it apparently triggered you. Cheer up lad. Good things will come to you if you stop being angry all the time.
>>
>>58244075
>install some app off the internet on my pc because muh pirated movies
>get malware
>how is this Microsoft's fault?
>>
>>58242239
>>58242303
i really agree that this whole internet of things is a terrible idea

i am not even being closed-minded when i say this but i cannot conceive of any reason why my toaster/fridge/printer should need to be connected to the internet

i've already started buying certain products and selling others to adjust for the way things are headed (selling internet-required bullshit, buying non-smart tv, etc)
>>
>>58241800
Lol that ransomware tho.
>>
>>58242130
LG uses webOS
>>
>>58244334
Ikr time for a new hard drive and OS.
>>
>>58241800
>Buy new smart tv.
>Block tv mac address in router.
>Done.
>>
>>58242182
Thanks.
>>
File: a01.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
a01.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>58247181
That would be the same as if you've never connected it in the first place.
A better solution would be to deny all traffic except for shit you use like netflix and youtube.
>>
>>58247181
>>58247288
Too bad this does nothing about the built-in cellular transmitter. If they don't have it already, they will soon.

Also if a neighbor has unsecured wifi, it could just connect to that without your permission.
>>
>>58247288
>A better solution would be to deny all traffic except for shit you use like netflix and youtube.
Not exactly feasible when it uses HTTPS (it will for authentication for your account), and you cant manually specify trusted certificate authorities. Both of those services use CDNs so large that it wont be practical to setup ACLs in a firewall based off of ARIN data.

>>58247181
>router
>block mac address
you dont understand what layer a router works at do you?
>>
>>58244312
>conceive of any reason why my toaster/fridge/printer should need to be connected to the internet
who the fuck possibly could come up with a reason for this bullshit? Maybe I need my fridge to tell me what kanye west and kim kardashian are eating so I can have the same thing.
>>
>>58248182
ban every ip from russia/asia/africa/south america.

Your tv/iot will use local cdn so beside your continent ip everything else is a risk
>>
I don't get what's wrong with smart tvs.
I mean sure i just use an HTPC. But normies just want something to run netflix/plex/youtube. Why buy a dedicated device when your tv already does it? Especially since netflix won't let you run 4k on anything but a smart tv....
>>
File: Cv6zS-DVIAEoGsZ.jpg (145KB, 964x723px) Image search: [Google]
Cv6zS-DVIAEoGsZ.jpg
145KB, 964x723px
>>58249014
It's not the idea of smart TVs.
It's the way they are designed.
Poor security to start it off and TV manufacturers want to treat them as consumer electronics rather than appliances.
A regular TV can last you for decades, a smart TV (at least the ones on market at the moment) requires servers hosted by said manufacturer and they don't want to maintain a server for 5+ years.
>>
>>58248230
Easy. The fridge tracks the contents in it. Maybe even tracks expire date. A web backend will push fridge status to your phone's fridge app. It will perhaps tell you that you are running out of milk or that it expires soon. It could compose shopping lists of your basic wares.

It could also suggest recipes based on your food in your fridge. It could do it based on food you like. It could even suggest a minimal extra purchase list to make something nice out of soon to be expired food items.

Even better the fridge automatically sends a shopping list to the store that prepares the shopping bag for you. Then you either use the drive through to pick up your stuff or have the food delivered. With a smart lock you can even have the delivery guy put the items into your fridge.
>>
>>58249084
One-way communication. Fridge itself can't be hacked.
>>
>>58249014
There would be nothing wrong with it if they weren't infested with malicious data collecting, even going as far as recording with the microphone at all times and sending all that audio off through the internet. Of course the same is probably true for Android smartphones, any computer with a microphone running Windows, and a whole bunch of other things these days.

I just wish we could enjoy technology without giving up every last bit of privacy.

>>58249084
Don't forget the fact that all of your food data is also sold to anyone who will pay for it, with no regards to your privacy.
>>
>>58249137
>One-way communication
The only example I have seen of this is when working with top secret information. I doubt your fridge will contain top secret ingredients.
>Fridge itself can't be hacked
Like all expensive things running software it will be possible to update its firmware. Since I doubt any fridge manufacturer will have a tutorial where you enter user/pass it will have this present in the firmware. The attack vector is pretty much the same as the devices affected by the mirai botnet.
>>
>>58249170
>Don't forget the fact that all of your food data is also sold to anyone who will pay for it, with no regards to your privacy.
It's 2016. Nowadays something is wrong with a company if they don't sell all your personal details and hand it over for free to ny 3 letter security agency.
>>
Wtf I thought """"smart"""" TVs were a dead fad already.
>>
File: shitface.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
shitface.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>58241800
>>
>>58242182
>I now present to you the iPhone 8
>>
>>58249972
not funny?
>>
File: 1248581396660.jpg (4KB, 95x128px) Image search: [Google]
1248581396660.jpg
4KB, 95x128px
>>58241800
Don't LG TVs use WebOS?
>>
>>58250777
They do now. It's shit.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.