[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new to /g/ and decided to start lurking here as I have increasingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3993.jpg (23KB, 272x249px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3993.jpg
23KB, 272x249px
new to /g/ and decided to start lurking here as I have increasingly more interest in learning to program.
I took a java class last quarter and struggled but passed, we used some Becker Robots thing to learn. I plan on taking more classes but would like to at least learn as much as i can on my own so im going to classes to fill gaps in my knowledge instead of it being brand new to me.
What is the best way to start learning? Seems like actual practice is best but what programs should i use to practice? Should i just do increasingly difficult small projects? Just read textbooks? Use shitty codeacademy style sites? Im lost and just need help.

Tldr: help newfag start programming and how
>>
First of all you should decide what you want to program. I you want to write desktop software than you could expand your java skills in eclipse or start learning C++ with Qt.

If you want to do embedded systems (automation, robots and the like) you should try C and maybe assembly for small instruction sets (PIC16 for example).
>>
>>58226715
I think i know too little about the programming world to determine what i would like to focus on already but i am leaning towards java as i was told from multiple sources it would be very useful/relevant.
>>
If you don't get 90+ in your first few programming courses it's not for you as a career. Seems like you're just doing it for fun but I thought you should know.
>>
I recommend python3 because python lets you do almost anything (web stuff, desktop apps, command line, neural network, etc) and the language is easier than others

for books, search: learn python the hard way, or code academy

after you're familiar with a language, learn a tutorial in a python framework (example for web framework is django, search thedjangobook)
>>
If you don't want to get trolled into learning some retarded shit I'd advice you to leave this place right now
>>
>>58226657
Here... It is the introductory class for MIT students, it is challenging (even though they use python... It is heavily influenced by the best introductory programming book in history, "sicp"), but you will learn a lot. https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9

Another python based and challenging introduction is this from udacity: https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101

The udacity one is one I personally recommend. And does not have long lectures, but rather short 1-5 minute videos with exercises after each one. And if you are stuck you can sneak peek the answer.

>>58229215
this is good, and "learn python the hard way" is excellent. Likely the best book ever written as a introduction. But it teaches Python 2.7 which is pretty much depreciated and old. (although you still find stuff that depend on it)

>>58226959
>If you don't get 90+ in your first few programming courses it's not for you as a career.

This is nonsense.
>>
>>58226959
Wow what a nice arbitrary number that means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>58229327
Thank you for serious response!! -op
>>
>>58226959
Really? I am glad... I got exactly 91 points on the exam first semester. I had to retake it and got 780 on the second try which gave me a C. But at least I know this is right for me. Thank you, fourchan the hacker.
>>
>>58229257
/thread
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.