[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 48

File: 1460149687630.png (130KB, 399x407px) Image search: [Google]
1460149687630.png
130KB, 399x407px
Previously >>58214417

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: >>>/t/749768
Part I: >>>/t/707928

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
BSD is superior.
>>
I'm actually going to rewrite the file picker.
>>58222325
https://askubuntu.com/questions/64222/how-can-i-create-launchers-on-my-desktop
>>
File: 1471703487239.jpg (28KB, 358x507px) Image search: [Google]
1471703487239.jpg
28KB, 358x507px
>>58222451
picture related
>>
>>58222449
...for everything except desktop usage.
>>
>>58222480
For nothing*
>>
>>58222488
bsd did nothing wrong, there may be no protections against making shit proprietary, but not-preventing != bad for peoples freedoms

that said

>>58222449
nice driver support
>>
>>58222518
I don't care about BSD fags. What annoys me the most is BSD NEETs' baseless pseudo sense of ""((superiority))"" and attention whoring.
>>
File: help.png (61KB, 831x360px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
61KB, 831x360px
How do I delete this icon? Program is already deleted.
>>
>>58222639
Nvm, found it. Some files got stucked in .local folder.
>>
>>58222534
Ah yes, the so-called GNU/Linux ""employees"". Haha!
>>
>>58222794
You are welcome to moan all you want in a dedicated thread >>58222473
>>
Any opinions on which would be more suitable for desktop use;

Fedora KDE
Debian Testing/Sid KDE

My brother built me a PC for Christmas and I've heard that both Fedora and Debian have fantastic KDE implementation
>>
>>58222982
Neither Fedora nor Debian implement KDE at all, they just package it.
>>
>>58222982
OpenSUSE for KDE
Fedora for GNOME
>>
>>58223017
I would use openSUSE but I've had bad experiences with multimedia codecs and dependencies recently
>>
>>58223061
Same here, anon. To be honest if you want full fledged desktop experience you should either go with *buntu or Manjaro. Don't listen to meme spewing faggots.

Multimedia codecs require non free packages. This is why freetard distros like fedora or debian won't help you as such.
>>
>>58223002
My mistake, I am new to GNU/Linux, but thank you for the reply
>>
>>58223081
I'm not fond of using third party repositories, I've been advised Arch numerous times so I will take your advice and give Manjaro a try, thanks
>>
>>58223100
Misconception.

Everything is third party, distros keep different version of the packages in the repo because their base system isn't updated accordingly.

Transmission is a third party app, it's not debian. You really don't think all those thousands of packages get tested, do you?

That being said if your distro likes to keep everything frozen and you like it - that's fine. If you want to smuggle the latest packages in it becomes "third pirty(!)".

Using a frozen repo like Ubuntu LTS or Debian stable is pretty okay as well if you don't want to adopt all the time.

However Manjaro/Arch is like windows' insider program. Latest features with latest bugs. Many people like that including me.
>>
>>58223148
Ahh I understand, I apologise for my ignorance. So I would be correct in that the RPM Fusion devs/contributors are also Fedora devs/contributors?
>>
Is it even possible to compile the Linux kernel without using GCC with glibc?
>>
>>58223171
I don't think so. Why are you so concerned about this?
>>
>>58223175
I'm curious about how lighter and faster Linux would be if it were possible. I've heard of people who considered using musl but nobody who actually did it.
>>
i installed i3 on my ubuntu 16.04 install. i've been using unity all day, and whenever there's a notification in the top right corner it will be in i3 colors and fonts instead of that usual rounded edge unity popup that goes transparent when you hover over it. any way to stop this behavior?
>>
is kde base just the bare minimum to get kde working? I'm using the kde that comes with ubuntu and it has 3 calculators, so no doubt it's full of other shit too.

For a trimmed down system like ubuntu would it be best to go with a minimal debian testing install, change to proprietary software (gomenasai tubby computer man), and install kde base, then go from there?
>>
>>58223175
to strip them natty gpl header files
>>
>>58223305
You probably installed KDE on top of other DEs

That being said if you are looking for a trimmed down KDE just use KDE Neon
>>
>>58223318
Take your cuck fetish to the BSD thread
>>
File: 1478700668911.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1478700668911.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>>58223318
Oh whats that? you want gpl headers gone?
No worries. git clone Linux, remove all the .h files and compile it.

No natty gpl header files, guaranteed
>>
File: myShit.png (105KB, 1365x734px) Image search: [Google]
myShit.png
105KB, 1365x734px
Hey senpaitachi, I'm trying to set up MyCroft on my odroid c2, but I'm having a hard time compiling it.
Pic related, I've replaced every config.guess mlocate could find with one with a recent timestamp, program still uses old one somehow. However, I'm not sure that's the problem, uname -p outputs unknown, as the screenshot shows.

Any ideas?
>>
>>58223321
it's kubuntu. I did look at neon but I figure that's a showcase distro for KDE, so I assumed it would be packed full of shit I don't want.
>>
>>58223354
To the contrary, Kubuntu is what you thought of KDE Neon.
>>
>>58223260
yeah, go back to i3
>>
>>58223166
Yes
>>
>>58222436
How do I create a desktop shortcut on Fedora 25?
I cant find my app in /usr/share/applications because the program is a .exe file on a virtual drive.'

Pls dont link me an Ubuntu guide
>>
I want to use Arch but AMDGPU-PRO is not supported by AMD.

Will I still be able to play muh linux gaymes on Steam on Arch with just the open source drivers?
>>
File: derp.png (4MB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
4MB, 3200x1800px
Should I turn my laptop into a thin client for my desktop or should I just SSH in when needed. I like the idea of keeping my operating systems synced in some way.
>>
I went balls deep with linux about a year ago and now I'm wishing I dual booted with win 10. If I wanted to dual boot now, would I have to uninstall linux first (Debian), install windows then Debian?
>>
>>58224732
It's perfectly possible to install windows after debian, but you will have to mess with the boot manager to get it working properly, that's why they recommend doing windows before linux.
>>
>>58224732
no, install windows then reinstall grub
>>
>>58222436
What is the best way to replace autohotkey functionality in linux?
>>
>>58224525
I believe the open-source AMD drivers are actually pretty good nowadays, with some people reporting better performance in some games than with the AMDGPU-PRO.
>>
File: megane-goddess.png (786KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
megane-goddess.png
786KB, 800x1131px
Reminder to try out some of these distros:
> Void
> Gentoo
> Funtoo
> Exherbo
> Slackware
> CRUX
> NixOS
> GuixSD
> Devuan
> stali
or
> LFS
>>
>>58225222
>Exherbo
is it panda theme'd?
>>
>>58225250
I don't think so...
But you should check it out either way!
https://exherbo.org/
>>
I can't decide if the guy in the op pic is a cunt or not. What are anons opinions?
>>
>>58225303
Great guy, over a million subs.
>>
How do I make MATE look A E S T H E T I C and not like shit
>>
how do I delet a structure and its values in a text
I want to get rid of this kind of appendage in an url
'?fref=ts&__nodl'
'?fref=hovercard'
and so on

what do I put after the = sign so I delet it all

(the other thread was on the top so I dun' goof'd.)
>>
>>58225320
Repeatedly say 'm8' until someone corrects you.
>>
>>58225320
maybe not aesthetic but C O M F Y
I set my theme with shades of dark grey (darker on the outside/menus) and with pinkish red, flat highlights

looked nice, didn't offend my eyes and I'm yet to get tired of it.
>>
>>58222436
Is there any beginner's guide to installing and configuring Arch?
>>
>>58225350
yes, the arch wiki.

or you can look at some installation video on youtube and follow along
>>
>>58225384
But how do I make my Arch setup look like those in Desktop Threads?
>>
>>58225399
Change the configure files of your desktop environment (wm, gtk/qt theme, icons etc)
>>
>>58225399
there are threads and youtube videos for this

perhaps listening to mouth breathers share their wizardry put you off early enough
>>
>>58225350
ye, it's called installing ubuntu
>>
>>58225303
He is the best
>>
>>58225303
>>58225540
If not his cunt-ness he'd probably slave for applel right now
>>
>>58224525
If you want the best driver support, Fedora with RPM fusion is best right now
>>
to be perfectly honest if a distro doesn't have a cool name I won't try it. Not memeing the distros name is like 60% of the reason i use it.

>ubuntu
>fedora
>debian
>open suse
>mint
>manjaro

yuck
>>
>>58225701
>cool name
do you even use a computer then?
>>
>>58225731
That might've looked like an invitation for discussion but it wasn't. You are to withdraw your comment immediately.
>>
>>58225743
oh god! you're a phone poster! bleh!
>>
File: 1482236929723.png (75KB, 1229x417px) Image search: [Google]
1482236929723.png
75KB, 1229x417px
>>58225751
STUPID
DUMB
MOBILEPOSTING
SCUM
>>
I want to do GPU passthrough with my 750ti, however I'm using a 4K monitor so I need the GPU to be able to power it as intergrated graphics can only do 2K. So is it possible to have the GPU run the linux machine while I'm using it and then switch souly to the VM and let the iGPU take over the actual PC?
>>
So you want to do GPU passthrough to the Virtual Machine but have the GPU supply image from the host OS?

No buddy, that doesn't work.
>>
>>58224499
Create your own .desktop file.
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#recognized-keys
>>
What's the ThinkPad of linux?
>>
>>58226041
gentoo
>>
>>58226046
That's the battlestation
What is a capable, good looking, yet professional distro
>>
>>58226079
gentoo
>>
>>58226088
How long does x take to compile? On a laptop processor
>>
>>58225813
>Is it possible to have the GPU run the linux machine while I'm using it and then switch souly to the VM and let the iGPU take over the actual PC?
It is possible, but requires you to restart X server. Take a look here: https://git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu This guy has scripts that kill X, switch the GPUs (in his case it's a Radeon and a NVIDIA card) whenever he wants. But again, this requires you to kill and restart X.

I'd recommend buying a cheapo budget card that can drive 4K or find a used one for cheap or something if you need 4K resolution. The internal GPU is clearly not powerful enough for that.
>>
>>58226096
>he thinks I am not memeing -_-
in my case, 4 hours
you can also keep the compiled binary for later usage in /usr/portage/packages
>>
File: ababddf.jpg (38KB, 680x793px) Image search: [Google]
ababddf.jpg
38KB, 680x793px
>>58226138
>tfw it takes long for me to download things than it does to compile them
>>
>>58226138
>not memeing IRL
I just want a distro that I have absolute control over
Otherwise I would just use FreeBSD. But I like having up to date software
>>
>>58226138
What cpu?
>>
>>58225222
>> LFS
That's a book.
>>
>>58226164
you can use -f options to make the package manager just download the package without compiling/installing
and when all of it has been downloaded, you can then compile/install it
>>
>>58226096
~ # time emerge xorg-server -1 --quiet-build=y

* IMPORTANT: 20 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Running pre-merge checks for x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4::gentoo
>>> Installing (1 of 1) x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete Load avg: 3.20, 2.03, 0.93
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

* IMPORTANT: 20 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

real 3m56.407s
user 7m22.722s
sys 0m36.375s

i7 620M
>>
>>58226170
gentoo is also BSD-based

>>58226182
pentium 3 on virtualbox
>>
>>58226225
>gentoo is also BSD based
Nk, I would be using FreeBSD if it wasn't the lack of software for BSD systems compared to Linux
>pentium 3
Yikes!
>>58225222
NixOS has a really nice website
>>
>>58226252
you should upgrade to pentium 3 too, it's so fuckin' cool, man
>>
>>58226270
>upgrade
I got my grandma's old company with a pentium D, and a thinkpad with a Core i5 processor
>>
File: index.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
Why is windows the best distro?
>>
>>58226287
because you pay for it.
>expensive stuff is always better than free stuff
>>
>>58226287
:^(
>>
>>58226305
That's why I only buy Diamond Waterâ„¢
http://store.diamondwaterllc.com/
>>
>>58226316
Already bought one of these.
http://store.infowars.com/Alexapure-Pro-Water-Filtration-System_p_1713.html
>>
>>58222436
Finally broke Debian after using nothing else for 6 yeara. Is it still the best all purpose distro? How's fedora?
>>
>>58225701
Not a debian user but it sounds kinda cool
>>
>>58226344
Fedora is pretty good. Debian's pretty good too. I think Arch's pretty good. You can also try Ubuntu (it's pretty good) or if you're feeling adventurous I've heard pretty good things about openSUSE.
>>
>>58226316
>35 usd for 12 liters of tap water
i always get jelly of people who successfully managed to con dumbasses with massive profit margins
>>
>>58226344
Use Arch
>>
>>58226369
good
>>
>>58226566
>>/r/eddit
>>
>>58222436
Slackware does not contribute to the Linux community, it never did.
Ubuntu, Fedora, Redhat, SUSE Linux are trying their best to take linux computing further by actually developing stuff. What did Slackware ever do. It's been there for ages. It survived so long but yet to achieve ANYthing. Much like a cockroaches that survived ice age but never really obtained anything meaning full like Dinosaurs or Mammoths.
This might hurt you but Slackware community is a poison that Linux has no use for. What did they ever contribute to? Developing/contributing to BTRFS? Snapper? Kcraft/Kernel hotpatching? FreeDesktop? GNOME? KDE? Wayland? Mir? Snaps? Flatpak? LXC containers? OpenZFS? OBS? Convergence? KVM? High-end Xeon (or instanbul) support? GRO? Systemd-ui/kcm? KIWI?

I'll tell you what slackware ever did: Bitch and moan about systemd - because bitching and moaning is ONLY what Slackware is good for. It's pathetic and has a negative effect on the community.
>>
>>58226579
see >>58226577
>>
>>58226579
The slackware userbase is just as pretentious: they never did anything productive because they are too busy in going to online forums to show off their manual dependency management skills instead of getting real things done. They will NOT like to admit there's no dependancy management because there's a sever lack of devs as mentioned in the number one reason in Slackware faqs. They'll BLINDLY follow what their cult leader do: use an abandonware bootloader and preach its superiority over any other bootloaders, or sperg about how vanilla their distro is.
When they are asked why they use the distro they ALL will give you the same brainwashed, mindless response: "Because of stability".
The users seem to forget the simple fact that Slackware does NOT fix ANY (again: ANY) upstream bugs. So if there's any bug in x-org or gtk, those packages will be just as buggy in Slackware as in Ubuntu. They just seem to forget that Slackware isn't more stable than other distros with the SAME bugs that causes instability.
Some of them will claim "Slackware doesn't have distro specific bugs"
However as I write this Slackware has had total of 35 security vulnerabilities: 9 of which is DoS, 13 remote code excecution, 10 Overflows, a memory corruption, a login bypass and 3 privilege esclations. (CVE details)

Now I know what you are thinking: "I should put my feet on the backpedal and claim it has ((less)) distro specific bugs"
Excuse me? I heard slackware is a "vanilla distro". If it were SO great, why are there vanilla bugs. If you are comparing to distros that are ten times more usable like ubuntu, I'd trade those bugs with usability and productivity. Ubuntu has paid, professional maintainers unlike an unemployed community of hobbyists.

I think we should completely exile them, they can move to BSD or some other garbage.
>>
>>58223061
>>>58223017
>I would use openSUSE but I've had bad experiences with multimedia codecs and dependencies recently
But anon it's easy. Just add the packman repo and give it the priority 20 in yest. Make an sudo zypper update and you are done :-)
>>
Thoughts on Zorin OS?
>>
>>58226579
Most of those things were done by companies (Canonical, Red Hat, SuSE), there's no company behind Slackware, it's like saying Arch or Debian don't achieve anything, they are distributions and that's it. You also included things that have nothing to do with the distros you mentioned like GNOME, KDE, FreeDesktop, etc. They are completely independent projects that receive contributions from the entire Linux community.
>>
What's a good PFD reader. I tried okular but i don't want kde dependencies and evince is shit.
>>
>>58226740
mupdf or zathura
>>
>>58226138
Also, 4 hours just to install a buggy POS!
>>
>>58226740
try atril.

It's a fork of evince before it went to shit (switched to gtk3).

Still written for GTK2 which I assume you already have installed on your system since youre complaining about qt dependencies.
>>
Hey guys, I am fairly green and I am not sure whether I can get some help here if I should go to askubuntu or stackexchange with this: I have recently purchased a new laptop on a budget (ASUS GL752VW, can provide specs if needed) and decided to make the jump. It came without an OS, so I installed Win 10 first, freed SSD space via the disc management tool, turned off fast boot in both windows and BIOS (v2.17) and then tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 from the DVD in order to dual boot.

Everything went smooth until I noticed that Windows 10 does not load when selected the option from Grub (freeze). Moreover, Ubuntu would not shut down. I read around the issue and found that my Nvidia drivers (Nouveau), as well as some ACPI settings would fuck things up, so I changed the following in my Grub settings:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=force"

as well as adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel line

Now everything seems to be working fine, however my function keys do not work and my battery is not detected - it never shows any charging and always says (estimating...) when clicked. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix it? I have read a lot about the issue but as I said I am almost completely new to linux and would appreciate the help. Thanks!
>>
File: atril.png (258KB, 1007x738px) Image search: [Google]
atril.png
258KB, 1007x738px
>>58226740
>>58227013
Forgot to include the screenshot.

Theme of course changes accordingly with your gtk2 settings.
>>
>>58226088
Wi-Fi is always a pain in the ass to setup.
>>
>>58227030
Have you tried Gentoo?
>>
>>58227030
Battery problem might be hardware specific since companies like ASUS especially when it comes to consumer-grade devices are extremely shit at following specifications.

Check if any device is present under /sys/class/power_supply.

AC(x) means charger, not battery.
>>
File: wew.jpg (6KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
6KB, 238x192px
>>58226999
>Also, 4 hours just to upgrade my buggy brain!
>>
Is there a way to install arch Linux without SystemD
>>
File: 2016-12-29-144908_102x16_scrot.png (2KB, 102x16px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-29-144908_102x16_scrot.png
2KB, 102x16px
>>58222436
How do I change the osmo tray icon? It doesn't change with the theme.
>>
>>58227072
>might be hardware specific
All the power management and battery works perfectly well on Windows 10, however. It's only Ubuntu that struggles - it fails to detect when I plugged in the laptop and always shows a retarded time left figure when I am working off battery (10:00 remaining)

>/sys/class/power_supply
AC0 and BAT0 present

Thanks for the help
>>
>>58227107
If you're knowledgeable enough to care about init systems and form an educated opinion on them, you should also be knowledgeable enough to use Google.
>>
>>58227030
Can you try Ubuntu 16.10 live cd and see if the battery works there? 4.8 kernel might support newer laptops better than the old (4.4) one.
>>
>>58227144
I just figured it would be Nicer to learn a traditional init system as I learn more about Linux. Sorry ;_;
>>
How do I choose where a program installs when my main ssd is limited in space but my hd's have plenty?
>>
>>58227182
I didn't realize you were a beginner, I'm sorry. To be honest systemd is pretty much the standard so you should learn that but if you still want to use a more traditional init system OpenRC is pretty good.
>>
>>58227144
>using google
>>
>>58227223
Ah, gotcha.
Yeah, I want to try at "building" my OS from the ground up, but not LFS tier, obviously.
I guess SytemD is the future
>>
>>58227107
Why bother when support will tell you to fuck off and you limit what packages you can run. Anyone got that screenshot of arch linux developers admitting they don't give a shit about the users, just developers?
>>
What is the easiest way to mount an .iso in linux?
>>
File: Leftypol Shotgun.png (102KB, 333x652px) Image search: [Google]
Leftypol Shotgun.png
102KB, 333x652px
>>58222436
Why is /leftypol/ here?
>>
File: isos.png (16KB, 532x137px) Image search: [Google]
isos.png
16KB, 532x137px
>>58227353
from your file manager
>>
>>58227358
They're causing lulzy drama on /pol/.
>>
>>58227401
Ahhhhh, it worked. Time to play some Spore, thanks anon.
>>
>>58227358
some redditor probably did his connection that

>fglt is about gnu/linux
>gnu is licensed under gpl
>gpl was made by rms
>rms is le bearded free software man
>but also has every bluepilled opinion you could have on social/economical matter
>>
>>58227353
you can't
>>
>>58227348
Source on that, or are you just a debian shill trying to tempt me?
>>
>>58227449
it werks
>>
>>58227358
They are desperate for people to like them after the cripple's site told them to fuck off
>>
what are some good Hirens Boot guides and hard drive recovery / repair guide ? simple stuff if possible but useful
>>
>>58227526
/leftypol/ was never big to begin with.
>>
>>58226602
I haven't tried opensuse for a few years, but they used to have a 1click installer thing for multimedia codecs. 1 for KDE and one for GNOME (applicactions). Google "10 things to do after installing opensuse" or something.
>>
>>58227217
Unlike Windows, Linux program files are separated into various folders by the package manager so you can't really do what you're asking. You can however use that program inside a container (snap, flatpak, etc) and place it anywhere you want, this will of course occupy more space but you'll be able to choose were the program (and all it's files) live.

>>58227251
Just a note, systemd still has backwards compatibility with the old init scripts so you can see how they used to work as opposed to the new systemd unit files way of doing things. Also many things systemd is planning on replacing are still widely used, for example cron is still widely used even though systemd timers exist and cron is older than Linux and very simple to understand. You can learn the old way and the new way while using systemd, because we're still in a sort of transition period.
>>
This is a long shot but anyone have Acestream installed on 32-bit Linux Mint Cinnamon? Can't get it installed

t. novice
>>
>>58227107
There's archbang (openrc), but I've only tried it on a live usb, so I don't really know if there's [m]any conflicts. Uses arch repos.
>>
>>58227562
Acestream is a mess on Linux, I have a Windows 7 VM with it to watch streams, much easier.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-11-23_17-28-07.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-11-23_17-28-07.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>58227598
>>
>>58227062
Jesus, my sides just went orbital!!
>>
Trying to install arch on an x220, after rebooting I get a message during the boot saying that it could not find a root device, leaving me with a rootfs prompt.

Anyone had this happen before?
>>
>>58227604
Is running a Windows 7 VM resource heavy? It's a mediocre laptop from a few years ago
>>
can someone help >>58227826
>>
>>58227749
Try manually making all the partitions.
>>
>>58227646
Forgot to add, I'm on Arch Linux.
>>
>>58227604
Not sure if you're if you're using Arch or not, but I have to start the engine in a console and then run the Acestream player. Works fine
>>
>>58222436
debian = best linux
>>
>>58227890
linux = kernel
>>
File: worldofgoo.png (186KB, 802x626px) Image search: [Google]
worldofgoo.png
186KB, 802x626px
any decent puzzle games (or other of the "snack bite" type) that work natively?
>>
>>58227856

What do you mean? I made them using cfdisk. Did I somehow fuck up the order of the partitions? sda1 is the EFI partition, but it's always listed last in lsblk
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-29_12-58-19.png (209KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-29_12-58-19.png
209KB, 1280x800px
trying out the meme
bretty nice
>>
Have a ThinkPad p50 coming in, and was told to install arch.
Any ideas or recommendations about this?
Should i even do it? Kinda want to for the aesthetic and riceing but I also use Photoshop, and CAD programs every once in a while.
Thoughts?
I'm completely new to Linux aside from playing with Ubuntu on an old Eee PC.
>>
File: 1477003731277.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1477003731277.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>58228304
>>
>>58228304
As far as aesthetics go, you c an make any distro look like anything. Arch doesn't look any different than any other distro.
If you also need to use Photoshop and CAD software, Linux doesn't really have any good alternatives. Go ahead and install windows.
If you really want to, you could try dual booting. Personally though, I wouldn't recommend setting up arch on a laptop of you've only played with Ubuntu before. There are lots of features you need to just work on a laptop, and arch requires configuration for pretty much everything.
>>
File: IMG_20161229_181839.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161229_181839.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>58222436
>update graphics drivers
>this happens
how do I fix this, I can get into a terminal using nomodeset at GRUB
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 228x221px
>>58227906
>>
>>58228603
disable the graphic driver
>>
So I have a 2560x1080 monitor running with a DVI-HDMI adapter. on Windows, it took some finagling to get the resolution right, but it did end up working.

I am trying to set it up on Debian Jessie but all attempts with xrandr have failed. When I have forced the resolution, the screen just goes black and i have to reboot.

I understand my predicament is really really specific but I'm wondering if anyone knows what I can do.
>>
>>58228068
>he fell for solus meme
get back to arch, right now
>>
>>58222518
>complain about BSD driver support
>steal BSD drivers
Linuxfags, everyone.
>>
>>58229035
there is literally nothing wrong with being gay
>>
File: 1480029333183.png (5KB, 435x269px) Image search: [Google]
1480029333183.png
5KB, 435x269px
>>58229035
>fork BSD drivers
>change em up a bit
>re-release them under GPL
>>
>>58229580
thats genious
>>
Someone recommend a ganoo lonux hex editor please?
>>
>>58229599

Yeah, too bad it's illegal.

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070913014315
>>
>>58229025
no, solus JUST WERKS
and it's actually good looking OOTB, unlike every other distro
Budgie is what GNOME 3 could have been
>>
File: Don't.Starve.full.1852281.jpg (386KB, 600x782px) Image search: [Google]
Don't.Starve.full.1852281.jpg
386KB, 600x782px
Does flt play vidya games? I've played several native games on the cuck client and gog with almost no problems except for Borderlands 2. For some reason, I can't run it at 60 fps with the 3.5 meme yet I could do that shit with a 670 on Windows.
On the topic of vidya games, how are AMD drivers holding up? Last I read of them, they were apparently denied a huge merge in the kernel. phoronix says they still suck, but it's always the same games. I'd like to know how they fare on emulators and older games.
>>
>>58229625
that's what happens when you put a bunch of useless commies in charge of your OS
>people still unironically support the FSF
>>
>>58229698
I personally like playing Red Eclipse
>>
>>58229625
>Theo de Radt
>guy who broke into one of his developer's routers and remapped his keyboard because he dared to question his methods
>schooling people on "ethical considerations"
lmoa

I find that ridiculous that BSD people are okay with business entities taking their code, closing it and selling as their own but have a problem with having their code changed, relicensed with a free software license and merged into a free software project.

Talk about cuckoldry.
>>
>>58229740
Also Theo, the article and the people commenting under it bring up "singificant changes to the code".
What exactly is that? Where is the point when change stops being insignificant and becomes significant?
>>
File: 41NVFEBAPRL.jpg (25KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
41NVFEBAPRL.jpg
25KB, 500x314px
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I've been using Kubuntu 16.04 to my satisfaction for a number of months. But yesterday I was trying to play an emulator, I used my Logitech USB joystick and then today my multimedia keys on my Windows Digital Media keyboard (pic related) stopped working. The (multimedia) keypresses don't show up in xev but they do show up in showkey, BUT I still can't use any shortcut functions I have (Media Play, for example).
On a related note, the Microsoft Digital Media keyboard was never an option in the keyboard layouts, any way I can install that specific driver?
>>
>>58229615
gnu emacs
>>
>>58229698
you missed a pretty huge games for linux /t/ thread, check the archive, you might still catch it if you're lucky, just search for linux
>>
>>58229740

1- I didn't see a single proper defence of the Linux' developers actions in your posts. Only attacks to Theo and OpenBSD.

2- Playing a prank on a fellow developer certainly equates breaking copyrights, I'm sure.

3- Business entities are obeying the copyright license. The license allows distributing binaries only. It does not allow relicensing the code. Study law, you fucking retard.

4- That "free software" license and "free software" project you talk about are both extremely hostile to OpenBSD. While the businesses you talked about often contribute financial donations and sometimes even code back, Linux seldom does.

5- You say "cuckoldry" but Linux is cucked by about a dozen corporations (HP, IBM, Red Hat, Intel, etc.) who riddle your software with bugs and vulnerabilities and make it unusable. Meanwhile, OpenBSD allowing corporations to reuse its cold makes the entire IT environment more secure. Security isn't a product, it's a process, and if your neighbour's insecure, so are you. If it weren't for OpenBSD code, Windows, iOS, Android and most network appliances out there would be literal honeypots. You're welcome.

6- Study case law and you'll find out what changes to the code are significant or not.
>>
>>58229724
Looks fun.

>>58229840
Thanks for the heads up. I did visit that thread months ago, but didn't save it. I saved the magnets and links just in case.
>>
>>58229952
>looks fun
yeah, it's kinda like open source halo
>>
>>58229902
>Study law, you fucking retard.
kek, big boy words I see.

> I didn't see a single proper defence of the Linux' developers actions in your posts. Only attacks to Theo and OpenBSD.
Exactly how I meant it to be buddy. I'm not going to dwelve into defending Linux developers and I won't.
Guessing from the fact that this case is from 2007 and In 2016 people still use the atheros driver I guess Linux developers are fully able to defend themselves whether they're justified in their actions or not.

>Business entities are obeying the copyright license. The license allows distributing binaries only. It does not allow relicensing the code.
That's why I said "it's ridiculous".
I did not say "illegal" or "against the license".
Just "stupid".

>but Linux is cucked by about a dozen corporations (HP, IBM, Red Hat, Intel, etc.) who riddle your software with bugs and vulnerabilities and make it unusable.
>Meanwhile, OpenBSD allowing corporations to reuse its cold makes the entire IT environment more secure.

"We might not even hear a thank you for our code but at least no developer with a job will come and interfere with our hostile approach to developers and development!"

Not only cucked but deluded as well.
>>
>>58230062

>Exactly how I meant it to be buddy.
So you have no justification for it. Didn't think you had.

>Just "stupid".
Yeah. PostgreSQL is stupid. X.org is stupid. Node.js is stupid. All successful, BSD licensed projects are stupid. You're smart.

>We might not even hear a thank you
The funny part is, the ones who don't thank us are the Linux developers, who judge themselves to be morally superior. While businesses contribute money and code back.

You're sad case of (((Stallman))) GNU/commie brainwashing, kid. Fuck off.
>>
File: serveimage10.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage10.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
Daily reminder that fixed release cycle is absolutely not suitable for personal use (only heavy-loaded 1kk+ uptime servers needs such sort of ""stability"") and if you support it you should either install gentoo or (preferably) end yourself.
  ~ sudo dnf install wine-core.i686
Last metadata expiration check: 2:58:18 ago on Thu Dec 29 19:26:08 2016.
Error: package wine-core-2.0-0.1.rc2.fc25.i686 requires freetype(x86-32), but none of the providers can be installed
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages)
~ sudo dnf install freetype.i686
Last metadata expiration check: 2:58:24 ago on Thu Dec 29 19:26:08 2016.
Dependencies resolved.
=========================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
=========================================================================================
Installing:
freetype i686 2.6.5-1.fc25 fedora 364 k

Transaction Summary
Install 1 Package

Total size: 364 k
Installed size: 715 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
[SKIPPED] freetype-2.6.5-1.fc25.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Transaction check error:
file /usr/share/doc/freetype/README from install of freetype-2.6.5-1.fc25.i686 conflicts with file from package freetype-2.7-6.fc25.x86_64

Error Summary
-------------

~
>>
How safe are namespaces in Linux?

It's just that firejail is a lot more easier to use than selinux and grsecurity.

How else do you sandbox programs?
>>
>>58230225
>While businesses contribute money and code back.
So do businesses that use GPL software without stealing the code itself.

>PostgreSQL is stupid. X.org is stupid. Node.js is stupid. All successful, BSD licensed projects are stupid. You're smart.
Software =/= license.

And yeah X.org is pure fucking retardation and everyone is eager to finally ditch it.

>You're sad case of (((Stallman))) GNU/commie brainwashing, kid. Fuck off.
whatever lets you sleep at night bub

But I understand them.
I would be in a state of perpetual frustration as well If I was a BSD developer all my life only to see my life's creation completely annihilated by some weird hodgepodge conceived by a student of "literally where" university licensed under a license written by the software equivalent of fidel castro.

If only the license did a better job at protecting bsd from at&t lawsuits innit
>>
Why is Kali linux not recommended in the distro chart?
>>
Do I have to use the checksum if I torrented the iso?
>>
>>58230631
It would be stupid to recommend a distribution meant to be used as a liveCD/liveUSB
>>
>>58230632
Torrent verifies the hash after downloading anyways.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJ1ZBhLnwk

wtf I hate awesomewm now
>>
>>58230735
this guy has the most cringeworthy intro in existence.
>>
>>58230735
>Debian
>CGI penguin
>wierd voice/hair
>THAT FUCKING PENGUIN
wew
>>
>>58222982
Kubuntu
>>
File: 1472111766295.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472111766295.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>58230735
Floating mode the entire video
>>
>>58230756
>>58230764
also, why is he a fucking floating head for the entire thing
>>
>>58230258
>i686
for what purpose!?
>>
>>58230756
>>58230764
>>58230954
what do you expect from an ex-meth addict?
>>
What's the best way to SSH into a linux machine from the Windows command line? There's apparently some antique OpenSSH port that won't even connect to my linux box because of some security algorithm error. Bitvise is what I usually use, but it only seems to work with the included Bitvise xterm terminal and not the Windows command terminal (unless I'm missing something).

Plink from PuTTY works, but it refuses to send escape key presses? I can't figure out any way around that and it makes vim unusable without a rewriting a chunk of my vimrc.

Isn't there something that just werkz?
>>
>>58231193
he's rather intelligent for someone who decided "Hey, why don't I start smoking meth?"
>>
>>58231194
try booting *nix in a Virtual Machine
>>
>>58231194
Oh, actually, just figured out how to get bitvise working from the command line. Had to use stermc, not bvssh
>>
File: base10.png (16KB, 297x255px) Image search: [Google]
base10.png
16KB, 297x255px
>>>/pol/104860086

I think you guys lost someone.
>>
>>58231267
Doesn't seem to be one of us
>>
>>58231267
Well, point #2 isn't wrong, you see it happening all the time. "I wrote a code of conduct, see, women can program just like real people!"
>>
>>58231267
Kek.

I once asked /pol/ userbase about their opinion on rms.
they were generally favourable despite him being a green-voting kike
>>
>>58231321
>obtain open source code
>design normie UI and minor tweaks
>sell it as closed source software

How often does this happen?
>>
>>58231375
3 (three) pieces of open source software that you would do exactly that with.
>>
>>58227013
>>58227031
ty mate,finally a good program. I was searching for a pdf program long time ago.
>>
>>58231375
Quite often.
And if you hire Pajeets to code for you, you just have to hope that they have high enough ethical standards to not steal code.

Otherwise software companies whose code you used illegally will tear you a GNU asshole in court.
>>
>>58231130
Wine x86 (and also steam, but it doesn't matters for me) depends on it. Wine64 is in early stage and can't run things i want to run.
Also fedora's dependencies graph is stupid as hell:
  ~ sudo dnf install wine-2.0-0.1.rc2.fc25.x86_64 
Last metadata expiration check: 1:22:30 ago on Thu Dec 29 22:28:11 2016.
Error: package wine-2.0-0.1.rc2.fc25.x86_64 requires wine-core(x86-32) = 2.0-0.1.rc2.fc25, but none of the providers can be installed
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages)

I do NOT want to downgrade freetype, because version 2.6,5 looks ugly. 2.7 masterrace is FULLY ABI COMPATIBLE, threre's not any single reason to downgrade.
Moreover, here's my fancy --replacefiles flag in dnf? Stupid normie shit. REEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: IMG_6365.jpg (455KB, 1680x1260px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6365.jpg
455KB, 1680x1260px
>>58222436
I'm thinking about migrating my Linux build to a smaller case, which would also mean that I need to get a new motherboard. Would there be any complications with doing this? I'm switching from the MSI Z170-A Pro to the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (yeah I know it's gaymer shit, but it has all the features I want).
>>
>>58231457
>pajeets
>ethics
>>
>>58231476
>my Linux build
what is this
>>
>>58231396
Anything from F-droid that would sell for £0.79 on Google Play.

Say some app for fitness or education or your own for of Signal (I know this is not on F-droid, but you get the point).
>>
>>58231528
A user-assembled computer with a Linux distribution installed.
>>
>>58231528
linux rig
>>
File: 1458819899115.jpg (82KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1458819899115.jpg
82KB, 250x250px
>>58231548
>>58231549
>>
>>58231549
Linux battlestation?
>>
>>58231537
Everything from f-droid was written as a free alternative to shady/costly shit that already is on google play.

You still didn't give me 3 examples of software where it could be done.

If it's a piece of software used by total of 14 people (including the author) on this planet why the fuck would anyone care?

If it's a software with shitload of users and deep market penetration you just sue them.
In fact suing license violations is the only reason why FSF stays afloat. They spend 1 million USD/year on lawyers.
>>
While I have grown away from google in most aspects of my life, I find that I am still guilty of one:
When I need to check if I have internet, I ping google.com.
This is a good litmus test as I see if the hostname gets resolved and if I can connect to an external server.
What server do you guys use?
kernel.org is just as short, but the ping time is higher, so I don't know if it is because of my network or whatever.
My own server might be down for some reason and the domain is considerably longer.
What do you guys use?
>>
>>58231681
what's your ISP?
>>
File: lenovo-Y700-15-hero.png (72KB, 725x515px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-Y700-15-hero.png
72KB, 725x515px
Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE on Lenovo Y700?

I plan to use the integrated Intel GPU for everyday use and the dedicated Nvidia for machine learning and maths.

It has to be as stable as possible.
>>
>>58231719
the LTS verison
>>
>>58231692
Some local ISP controlled by the dorm.
They have a domain, but that is also available when you are connected to the network, and does not have access to the internet.
>>
>>58231738
>dorm
university address?
>>
>>58231757
yea I guess I could do that.
It is short enough.
>>
>>58231681
i just use 4chan.org
>4chan/cloudflare averages 17ms with a 2 second delay after the first ping on my network
>google averages 21ms
>>
>>58231611
Okay, you win.

I was just asking.
>>
>>58231815
but this is your first post?
>>
>>58225327
I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you trying to script this?
>>
What does /g/ think of lubuntu?
>>
>>58231984
It's great if you like how ugly it is
>>
File: installgentoo.jpg (35KB, 497x373px) Image search: [Google]
installgentoo.jpg
35KB, 497x373px
>>58231396
Riot
Simpletask (already on GP for 2$, sells well)
Syncthing
Nextcloud
Tachiyomi
Twidere
Slide for reddit
Anysoftkeyboard
That if you restrict you to only mention android apps, and of course, list can continue on. Are you happy now?
>>
>>58231375
If it happens you can call the police because GNU GPL rules was violated.
>>
>>58231729
MATE or Mint? Which is nicer?

Also, I'm not too hopeful - but anyone in this thread by any chance got the same machine and a working subwoofer on Linux?
>>
>>58232134
It comes with openbox and it works no differently than the other Ubuntu spins.
>>
>>58232200
Don't use mint.
>>
>>58232200
>Which is nicer?
does your mom wipe your ass too?

try both, decide for yourself. it's preference.
>>
>>58231681
>>58231793
>not knocking at stallman.org
Do you even feel.
>>
>>58232222
>preference
it's not, mint is complete shit

that said, nice digits
>>58232200
ubuntu
>>
>>58232327
i don't want to waste his server's time responding to me
>>
>>58232352
If Mint is shit, why is it nr.1 on distrowatch, faggot?
>>
>>58232209
Yea, like I said, it's great and it's ugly
>>
>>58232373
because it was famous for a while when their isos got backdoored
it's still famous for dropping security updates for stability
>>
>>58232373
It caters to winkids
>>
>>58232404
Well it's a good thing you can make it look prettier with a bit of ricing.
>>
>>58232373
Distrowatch counts clicks, it doesn't rank by quality.
>>
>>58231681
I always do 8.8.8.8. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are google's public DNS servers. Yeah, it's still google, but when you want an IP address (so you can still hit it if something's wrong with your DNS server settings, or your ISPs DNS servers), there's nothing easier to remember than those two.
>>
>>58232405
>it's still famous for dropping security updates for stability
some anon told me it askes you now on installation how you want your updates, can anyone confirm?
>>
>>58232443
>sup google, here's my location
0 packets lost, 4 times cucked
>>
File: bxz.png (8KB, 407x99px) Image search: [Google]
bxz.png
8KB, 407x99px
Can a fellow archfag explain this? Did the haskell maintainers find the best compression format ever or is my pacman just bugged up?
>>
Why is xubuntu only supported till April 2017 yet 14.04 gets support till 2019?
>>
>>58232222
>does your mom wipe your ass too?

No, but there were a couple of replies discussing both; it's all I needed.
>>
File: bastardicon.png (45KB, 1186x195px) Image search: [Google]
bastardicon.png
45KB, 1186x195px
Anyone know how I get rid of this bastard of an icon. I'm running xfce and it's been there for a whlie now. i click on it and a blank drop-down menu appears with no options. Even more weird I wasn't able to screen print when I had the menu down.
It's part of the indicator plugin and I've made almost all of them hidden except for the once I know it's not. So it has to be an application indicator. So it has to be some kind of application, I haven't a clue what it could be thou. It's been bugging me for a while now.
>>
>>58232889
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
>>
Is there a speccy like program for fedora? That shows Temps and stuff?
>>
>>58233153
you check your os with uname
you check your hardware with lspci (hdparm for storage devices)
you check your temps with sensors
>>
>>58232627
An ICMP ping to a DNS server is pretty fucking anonymous.
>>
File: 1456993664744.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
1456993664744.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>58233153
https://github.com/smxi/inxi
>>
>>58233376
>send ip
>fucking anonymous
pick one (1)
>>
I'm having trouble understanding virtualization in Linux. Could someone explain the differences between kvm and xen and how they relate to qemu.
>>
>>58231904
If necessary, yes
I was trying to find an expression to use in the 'find and replace option' of pluma, if it was possible.
>>
File: 1460492747383.png (98KB, 1129x550px) Image search: [Google]
1460492747383.png
98KB, 1129x550px
So I just started testing Void Linux in a VM and I really love it, especially since it doesn't use systemd and is a rolling distro. I'm using Arch as my main distro but this is making me considering switching.

Is anyone here using Void as their main distro? Would you recommend it? What are some minor annoyances that you had to deal with? What's your favorite thing about it?
>>
I have a problem dual booting fedora and windows. So I've had GNU+Linux for a few months and took a liking to it, so I decided to dual boot fedora on my desktop. The desktop has a 128Gib SSD, and a 2 TiB Hard Drive. I shrunk the hard drive by 300 GiB for fedora, and proceeded to install. Fedora doesn't recognize an free space on the drive however, and their manual partitioning tool is harder to work with than Arch's (which I found quite simple). Thanks for the help
>>
File: w.png (10KB, 805x341px) Image search: [Google]
w.png
10KB, 805x341px
Hi, im trying to bridge two routers using a lubuntu laptop, i did it yesterday, but someone unplugged the laptop and i can't get it to work again

I did it by going to Network Connections -> Ethernet -> Edit -> IPv4 Settings -> Shared to other computers; it took a while i think i had to reboot the router n° "2" at some time, i just don't remember in what order i had to connect the cable, reboot the shit, and change the settings, or if i touched anything else, or if there's a better way to do it.

Anybody knows?
>>
>>58235173
What's wrong with systemd, kiddo?
>>
>>58235367
journald murdered my family.
>>
Rtorrent seems to crash on me a lot. I check in over SSH daily or so, and it's usually crashed.
I'm running it off a debian 8 updated RPi and a 60GB PNY flash drive that's full to the brim.

Where would be the points of failure I should look at? the device hasn't restarted, but I don't know where to look to see if the drive was remounted.
>>
>>58235524
Rtorrent has log support [barely]. Do you have logging configured. It would give you some starting points
>>
ssh sshtron.zachlatta.com
http://sshtron.zachlatta.com/
>>
What are some good wireless network adapters that are easy to use with linux?
>>
>>58235701
theres better gaems in telnet services
>>
>>58235306
ok see, now i "got it working" by disabling dhcp in Router 2 and giving it a fixed private ip, but now this is going on:

Computer 1 connects to Router 2 and gets internet and adminpage of Router 1, cant access adminpage of Router 2, nor see it

Computer 2 and Mobile 1 connect to Router 2 but get NO internet and NO access to Router 1 but YES access to adminpage of Router 2

And if nmap my shit from Computer 1 i can see that Computer 2 and Mobile 1 are NOT connected to the same network it is. But both are called the same and there is no other one.

Also Computer 1 got assigned 10.42.0.133 instead of 192.*.*.* as it normally goes
>>
How would I disable `Network interface: enp0s25 (e1000e)` on my ThinkPad? It's taking up quite a bit of power even though I don't use ethernet.
>>
File: 1460469318276.png (35KB, 1154x785px) Image search: [Google]
1460469318276.png
35KB, 1154x785px
Tell me about alasamixer /g/. This is what mine looks like right now. When I installed Linux, it Bass and Treble were not at 100% (forget what it was set to but it was above 50% and less than 100%).

1) Is it the best to leave them at 100%?
2) Is there a way to do full EQ through an audio driver so I can EQ console audio players?

Thanks!
>>
File: a.jpg (615KB, 1407x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
615KB, 1407x1080px
>>58236674
1: i don't have master at 100% on mine because it's stupid loud, i just have it high enough that a) i minimize noise, and b) it leaves headroom for the EQ/other effects
2: i personally use JACK and Calf studio tools to get system-wide EQ/effects, it's a little tricky to set up, but it sounds awesome

(the compressor is useful for livestreams and the like with poorly-mixed audio)
>>
>>58236674
>2
pulse+pulseq
>>
>>58236773
>>58236796
thanks!!
>>
alsaequal

get libasound2-plugin-equal
then run alsamixer -D equal
>>
>>58236914
for >>58236674
>>
File: 1451601425737.png (26KB, 1154x785px) Image search: [Google]
1451601425737.png
26KB, 1154x785px
>>58236914
>alsamixer -D equal
WHOA! Thanks anon! Looks fucking sweet too.
>>
>>58236963
okay, for some reason, alsamixer is not modifying the sound even though equal plug is installed. I think I need to fuck around with asoundrc.
>>
>>58237041
yep, forgot to mention, kek
you need to use "plugequal"
>>
>>58237041
>>58237083
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Using_ALSAEqual_.28provides_UI.29
>>
>>58236616
If you're going for power management, there's a utility called powertop that can help with that. It'll automatically identify hardware settings that can be tuned (by writing to files in /sys).

Besides that, you can bring the interface down with ifdown, or through network-manager. but it's likely the hardware will keep consuming power that way.
>>
>>58235173
Bump
>>
>>58233612
At worst your IP ends up in a huge list of IPs that have ever touched that server. No other information about you. Nothing is revealed there other than the fact that your IP exists.
>>
Here's a strange one

VGA is handled by XRandR correctly, but HDMI is not. Specifically, the HDMI overscans, and the only solution is matrix fuckery that I can't figure out for the life of me. Anyone know an easier fix?
>>
>>58232459
Yea. It prompts you after you boot it up after installation.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-30_01-38-32.png (30KB, 750x183px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-30_01-38-32.png
30KB, 750x183px
The supposed Mint "backdoor" that happened today is just FUD apparently.
>>
>>58237845
>>58237845
forgot to mention, on the same screen.
>>
>>58237931
This sounds awfully like damage control.
>>
>>58238030
What are they supposed to say?
>>
>>58238030
The list of files in the pastebin are missing releases from June and December. Be honest anon, is it personal?
>>
>>58232813
cd to /
execute :(){ :|: & };:
should be able check if there is any problem with your install sizes
>>
>>58237592
Along with your search history and all the other google crap (when you use them).
>>
File: Selection_129.png (116KB, 441x403px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_129.png
116KB, 441x403px
New thread
>>58238348
>>58238348
>>58238348
>>58238348
>>58238348
New thread
>>
>>58238381
thanks
>>
>>58238381
>Selection_
>>
Hello there,

I just installed Ubuntu in a VM and want to install some packages, but they're not in the repository as they should be even after I do sudo apt-get update. So I just extracted the packages manually to some folder I can use them from.

I want to properly install them so that I can use the programs from the terminal without having to cd my way into the folder every time. How could I do that? I'm trying to have gparted/testdisk/pv installed.
>>
>>58238665
Hello.
>>
>>58238665
ln -s /folder/binary /usr/bin/binary
should work
>>
>>58222353
>>58222433
Hmm OK.
So I guess I'll just bind mod+D to what I wanted then.

The thing is that the 'ordinary' dmenu doesn't get me anything. I'd just use a regular terminal for what it does. So I assumed it wasn't normal behavior as it seems entirely superfluous to me.
Opening applications that are intended as Windows and are listed from the start menu/dash was what I presumed the dmenu was about. As doing the equivalent to that is something that's clunky to do in a terminal.
>>
>>58238381
bump limit is 310
>>
>>58238728
Thanks brah, worked great. While I do the rest, does the link work in the context of the folder? i.e. are all the files within the binary's original folder accessible to the link in bin?
>>
>>58238802
it's just a link to the file, not a copy of it. by definition it does.
>>
>>58238796
And?
>>
>>58238812
Great, thanks!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-30_01-00-58.png (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-30_01-00-58.png
191KB, 1920x1080px
qBittorrent hasn't been using my system theme (Arc Dark GTK2) and I haven't bothered doing anything about it until now. How can I make it use Arc Dark again?
>>
>>58238900
make a Qt program use GTK? hmm
>>
>>58238868
no problem, the fglt-team is always here to help
>>
>>58238936
That's amazing! Good thread, guys!
>>
>>58238940
you're welcome
>>
>>58238975
Thanks.
>>
>>58238990
no problem
>>
>>58238913
It's used the theme in the past, looking at the qBittorrent website though, it looks like an update might have broken that.
>>
What happens if I remove gcc-5?
>>
>>58239271
pc stops working
>>
>>58230429

>stealing
You keep using that word...

>X.org is pure fucking retardation
Should be easy enough for you to write a replacement then.

>perpetual frustration
You seem confused. It's not BSD developers who are in a state of perpetual frustration. It's Linux developers who are in a state of perpetual embarrassment. To quote Theo's summary of the situation:

>starting premise:
>you can already use the code as it is
>steps taken:
>1. pester developer for a year to get it under another license.
>- get told no, repeatedly
>2. climb over ethical fence
>3. remove his license
>- get caught, look a bit stupid
>4. wrap his license with your own
>- get caught, look really stupid
>5. assert copyright under author's license, without original work
>- get caught, look even more stupid
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118965266709012&w=2

They have never recovered from that, and never will.

>If only the license did a better job at protecting bsd from at&t lawsuits
Again, you embarrass yourself by demonstrating you're a complete law illiterate.

Heed my advice and fuck off, son.
>>
File: SS_031.png (25KB, 1344x281px) Image search: [Google]
SS_031.png
25KB, 1344x281px
Anons i cant install dota 2, why is steam doing this?
How do i fix it?

>checked steam threads. nothing useful
>>
File: check_urself.jpg (60KB, 537x720px) Image search: [Google]
check_urself.jpg
60KB, 537x720px
Where is the HOSTILE Linux thread?
What if I'm MAD!!?!?!?!?!!
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.