[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art icle-4069350/Amazon-refu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: amazonrecording.png (77KB, 670x458px) Image search: [Google]
amazonrecording.png
77KB, 670x458px
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4069350/Amazon-refuses-hand-recorded-audio-picked-Echo-belonging-Arkansas-murder-suspect-police-say-strangled-drowned-man-hot-tub.html

Can we assume from this that these devices and perhaps smartphones/smart tvs/computers are infact recording and uploading everything they hear in our possession (and hooked up online)

Their refusal to give the police the info, cynically seems to me to prevent the bad press of it confirming they record everything rather than giving up "personal data"?

I don't see how this can easily be escape except by neutering yourself tech-wise?
>>
>>58215779
>Their refusal to give the police the info, cynically seems to me to prevent the bad press of it confirming they record everything rather than giving up "personal data"?
Bingo my friend, that would cost them millions in sales and even more millions to reverse the bad PR.
>>
>Can we assume from this that these devices and perhaps smartphones/smart tvs/computers are infact recording and uploading everything they hear in our possession (and hooked up online)
You don't need to assume, Amazon and Google's terms say they can and will use your data to better their services. In fact you need to agree to this to even use Google Now on an Android phone.

>Their refusal to give the police the info, cynically seems to me to prevent the bad press of it confirming they record everything rather than giving up "personal data"?
Maybe. Remember the Snowden leaks though; they have the data and there's reason to believe it was handed over (parallel construction)
That being said, I'm pretty sure Amazon is refusing their warrantless request. The cops will come back with a warrant and get the data legally.

>I don't see how this can easily be escape except by neutering yourself tech-wise?
Why do you need a smartphone? Why do you need echo? You don't need either of these devices. If you use them despite knowing they are tracking and listening to you, then you are willingly giving up your own privacy for some convenience.
>>
>>58215880
I am more concerned with my laptop/future computing for game development than smartphones and such, but still my wife has her smart phone, friends have their devices too.
>>
>>58215956
Exactly. That's why I don't bother worrying about it.
>>
How can they refuse the police request? Surely not even multi-billion dollar companies are above the law?
>>
>>58216004
>How can they refuse the police request? Surely not even multi-billion dollar companies are above the law?
t. statist
>>
>>58215779
Well no shit, you didn't think that? We can also assume that Amazon handed over all of the data instantly because they have to abide by US law and they can't say no.

Everything in the headlines at this point is pure posturing and misdirection.
>>
>>58216004
I doubt they have a court order for that. In fact giving up that information would probably be against the law.
>>
>>58216004
here's how it happens:

>gov't
Give us the data on this device
>company
no we goo bois
>gov't
okay (hacks it in 2 days) we got the info anyway
>company
oh well *rolls eyes*
>>
Nice ad for amazon, OP
>>
File: 1482945129660.png (554KB, 722x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482945129660.png
554KB, 722x720px
>>58215779

*facepalm*
*hysterical laughing*
>>
>>58215853
lol yeah, because people have been so terrified of other companies spying on them up to now
>>
>>58215779
It probably uploads when you ask a question. The thing is obviously always recording but its only when it hears a specific phrase that it decides to keep the recording and uploads it to the mothership. Other recordings are probably being continuously overwritten
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.