[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I ignore the current VR headsets and wait 2 or 3 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ac_bmw_wheel.jpg (226KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ac_bmw_wheel.jpg
226KB, 1600x900px
Should I ignore the current VR headsets and wait 2 or 3 years until Oculus Rift 2 or whatever with 4k per eye?

I've heard it's amazing for racing games, the feeling of depth in Dirt where you can see the terrain ups and downs and looking around your car in AC adds a lot, but the resolution is apparently a bit shit.
>>
>>58215027
I have an oculus rift CV1 with the touch controllers.
It's a lot of fun and the resolution 'screen door effect' is almost nill.
I have to try to find it.
>>
>>58215258
But I will use mostly for car games and other sims where you are sitting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYF7sIFMxd0

These guys say that its very noticeable the lack of crispiness when you have a car in front of you that's far compared to a monitor...

I hope in 2020 or so we can have 4k and eye tracking, that would be insane coupled with a motion sim, basically being inside a car.
>>
>>58215027
>expensive vr headset
>high end PC to run it
>setup with steering wheel + pedals

you're getting close to the point where buying a sports car would be cheaper than the simulation.
>>
>>58215027
It makes me sad knowing that Sony has totally won the VR race without even trying. They didn't do anything impressive, they just made a cheaper, shittier version that they can sell for less.
>>
>>58215027
>wait 2 or 3 years

Maybe you can buy a better 3d tv then too.
>>
>>58215027
Just a heads up, the oculus is plagued with hardware issues.

My hdmi/usb headset cable just stopped working because the plastic cable bent a little after connecting it to the PC, I haven't used mine more than 50 times and it crapped itself already.

You'd think that a $600+ headset would come with non chink tier cables, but that's how Facebook/Palmer luckey do business.

Now I'm stuck with a paperweight, and oculus won't sell me / replace my cable because I don't live in the US, or the other countries where the oculus initially shipped.

Don't buy from these faggots
>>
>Should I ignore the current VR headsets
Yes. In couple years you'll either get new ones that will be both better and cheaper, or this trend will die.
>>
>>58216081
>$10k at most vs $70k+
yeah not even close
>>
>>58216765
Or 5k to build a race car
>>
File: gbvsgg.jpg (12KB, 500x242px) Image search: [Google]
gbvsgg.jpg
12KB, 500x242px
>>58216468
>It makes me sad knowing that Sony has totally won the VR race without even trying. They didn't do anything impressive, they just made a cheaper, shittier version that they can sell for less.

This happens a lot though. Especially when it comes to entertainment tech.
>>
>>58216748
I don't think it's a trend. Im sure the immersion specially in driving games is immense, since it's ideal (you are just sitting vs fps games where its too awkard)

we just need more resolution and eye tracking, looks like they are working in eye tracking tech already

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-acquires-eye-tracking-company-eye-tribe/
>>
>>58215027
>Should I ignore the current VR headsets
Yes. You never buy Gen-1.
>>
>>58216468
>get rift
>can't use it without installing 50GB worth of botnet
>get PS VR
>can stick the HDMI cable from the PC into the processing unit and it just works as a virtual theater
>600 dollars for Rift (+ FREE CONTROLLER !!11111) (need a 2k dollar gaymen rig just to use it)
>400 for the rift (need a PS4 for actual VR shit)
Wew. Was there supposed to be a competition or something? The normalfags go for the PSVR because it's cheaper than shelling out 3k dollars and the techfags go for the (nothing actually) PS VR since you don't need to install fucking drivers on your computer to use it as a fap machine.
>>
Only time will tell but I doubt VR will be a big thing outside of the sim enthusiast market. From what I've seen they're clunky, awkward, and the amount of hype/marketing that the different companies are making is a bit suspicious. It almost feels forced.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.