[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So like half of you fuckers probably, I study CS. Currently working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: sd64OhO.png (731KB, 828x615px) Image search: [Google]
sd64OhO.png
731KB, 828x615px
So like half of you fuckers probably, I study CS. Currently working part time as a web dev because that was all I could do with my skill set atm, but I'm leaning more towards proper software development, possibly embedded.

Now I got a job offer from a relative because he wants to make a startup with "Big Data", "management analysis" and stuff. He worked as marketing manager somewhere else before.

I'm not too sure about how to feel about this, since I haven't got the slightest clue about Big Data, but I'd feel bad turning down a job offer from him so quickly

wat do?
>>
>>58207269
You learn your limits through failure while simultaneously disappointing your family. Take that job!
>>
>he wants to make a startup with "Big Data", "management analysis" and stuff.
>He worked as marketing manager somewhere else
>I haven't got the slightest clue about Big Data
don't worry, so doesn't he!
>>
>>58207269
>working with/for family

save yourself the trouble.

Unless you know that person really well (apparently you don't) or it's something you really and always wanted to do, working with family is terrible.
>>
>>58207269
Don't join startups for the love of god

They fail in 6 months tops and then you're left with nothing at best and a costly mess at worst

Just look for a job you actually want to do, I'm sure some embedded system development place would be glad to teach you if you could afford to work for cheap while they show you the ropes
>>
>>58207301
>>58207333
>>58207442
>>58207472

You know the thing is, my parents keep going on how I need business contacts and that he made the offer especially for me (we rarely see each other though)

I love them but I have a feeling they try to politely bully me into something.

My web dev job isn't the most demanding in the world, but I know my place in the company and it works just fine. But I also want to grow and don't do that web dev forever, but I want to grow towards something I know I want to achieve. Not join some hip company which idk what it does and see where it goes from there... How do I tell them.
>>
>meme data
>>
>>58207269
Do it. First layout your skills to this guy and show your portfolio. Because it sounds like he's senpai, be clear. Don't focus on areas that you don't know, just explain to him the stuff you do know. If he os going to run a successful startup he'll ask you "do you have ANY experience working with *insert what you'll actually be doing here*?" and your answer will be "not directly, but I've worked with *insert technologies that are related from webdev*" and explain your interest. This sets the tone for the business relationship. Don't fuck up his business or your relationship by setting standards to high. I did that at my current job and I gotta tell ya, it's a fuck load of stress missing deadlines because your studying a stack, or a standard, or a individual piece of technology you said you were comfortable with, but your not.
>>
>>58207269
hire five other programmers pay them no more then 20/hr and give them a really good stake in stock.

roll the dice.
>>
>>58207472
>Working at a startup
>no venture funds
>successfully brining in a couple mil. A year(as a business) for the last three years.
Get cucked.
Startups fail of they suck. Just rock your mvp and always allow for growth.
>>
>>58208967
well that's the thing the people in a startup sacrifice and risk it. it's like taking a gamble on a system that everyone has thought about, that everyone agrees is a worthy risk.

if your heart and blood is not in there's no point in doing.
>>
>>58207269
Big data is the real deal. But if no one knows what that term even implies you're going to fail hard. If there's some real talent with experience in the field go for it, otherwise no.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.