[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just moved into my new apartment and my gaming pc is upstairs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (949KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
949KB, 3264x2448px
Just moved into my new apartment and my gaming pc is upstairs and my router is downstairs, what is the best way I can get internet without running an Ethernet cable all the way upstairs? I often play GTA 5 online and would a wifi card be the same as Ethernet? Sorry about my lack of knowledge, I'm not that good with technology
>>
get a long ethernet cable and a drill, op
drill through the floor directly above the router and pull the cable through.
>>
>>58205651
Check the phone lines; even cat-3 can handle gigabit over a short connection. You might be able to isolate an existing cable, and put new connectors on it.
>>
>>58205759
What the fuck am i reading?
>>
powerline adapter
>>
>>58205651
>Would a wifi card be the same as Ethernet?
That's something you can easily Google. It should be common knowledge. Unless you don't mind latency and lower speeds, no, they are not the same thing .
>>
had the issue but at my new house, i just bought a $10 wifi usb off amazon and it's working fine, have 54mb/s down and 19mb/s up on speedtest
>>
>>58205780

Many places use category 3 cable for voice cable, with 2 phone lines per cable.

Gigabit ethernet usually wants class 5e, or 6, but 3 will work, but the maximum run length is severely reduced.

If you have phone jacks near the two places you want to connect, you can trace them, disconnect them from the phone network, patch them together, and replace the RJ11 connectors with RJ45 connectors.

For lines that just run a couple of rooms, a modern gigabit network card can come pretty close to full speed over a cat-3 cable. It's easier than pulling a new cable through existing conduit.
>>
>>58205651
PLC
>>
>>58205830
Except that gigabit needs all 8 wires in the cable.
So your phones won't work.
>>
>>58205651
Run an ethernet cable through the a/c vents.
>>
>>58207250
Forgot to add, alternatively get two Linksys Wrt54g routers and run one in client mode. Then hook up your PC to the client router via ethernet. That's how I set it up for my brother in his apartment and his connection was steady and reliable.
>>
>>58205651
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16833320293
>>
>>58205797
This.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.