[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>install OpenBSD on old shitty XP computer since it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: Capture.png (46KB, 165x132px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
46KB, 165x132px
>install OpenBSD on old shitty XP computer since it's supposed to be light an efficient
>bootloader has a busy wait so the processor kicks up to 100% and the machine shuts off because it overheats
I thought these guys were supposed to be the pinnacle of developers? Why the fuck is there a busy wait in the bootloader?
>>
It has no drivers, or software. A true BSD shit would insist that this is not BSD's problem because it is due to drivers that don't exist. They would tell you to go buy some 15 year old laptop that they own that they made BSD for.
>>
>>58198509
The driver support is fine for my old shit, the software is fine since almost everything written for Linux will compile on it with minor modifications. The problem is stupid shit like a fucking busy wait in the bootloader.
>>
>>58198378
GO COMPLAIN TO OPENBSD AND NOT HERE YOU FUCKING BABY
>>
File: fck.png (41KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
fck.png
41KB, 1600x900px
>>58198378
"man afterboot"
"man boot.conf"

"man vacuumcleaningyourfuckingbox"
"man thermalpastedeterioration"
"man thefuckup"
>>
>>58198937
>"man vacuumcleaningyourfuckingbox"
>"man thermalpastedeterioration"
>"man thefuckup"
>it jest werkz
Brah, Windows XP worked just fine on this piece of shit.

>>58198828
They just told me to read the man pages.
>>
OpenBSD sucks! It wouldn't even let me play GTA V W.T.F.!!!!!!
>>
>>58198972
point us to the specific mail
>>
>>58198509
FreeBSD has quite decent support, but lacks in other ways over OpenBSD. Such as not supporting ASLR over 10 years after it started being essential to low-level security. Good thing no rootkit developers care enough to create FreeBSD payloads.
>>
>>58199008
y-yeah but it has muh jails!
>>
>>58199004
It was a joke based on the hostility of the OBSD community, but I guess if you're part of it then you wouldn't understand what a joke is.
>>
File: Charles Manson Charles.jpg (48KB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
Charles Manson Charles.jpg
48KB, 400x303px
>>58198972
did you try to boot it without some of the hardware installed?
if it got onboard gfx, i'd pull the graphics card and boot it again

for the wait time on boot, there's a config line in /etc/boot.conf that you can add to skip the boot prompt.

>mfw when teaching the botnet street signs for a manchild with adhd
>>
>>58199045
ah so you just made this thread to shitpost

got it
>>
>>58199051
>for the wait time on boot, there's a config line in /etc/boot.conf that you can add to skip the boot prompt.
Handy.
>did you try to boot it without some of the hardware installed?
>if it got onboard gfx, i'd pull the graphics card and boot it again
The laptop is gone now, but it pissed me off back then that a busy wait in the bootloader was stopping me from using it as an OpenBSD dev machine.
>>
>>58199150
ok, now that babyboy has calmed down a little, maybe he'd like to describe the busy wait - did any boot prompt appear at all? was it that you installed the amd64 version on an i386 machine perhaps?
>>
>>58199181
Boot prompt
boot>
or whatever causes one of the CPU cores to get maxed out. This is pretty easy to see in Virutalbox since it will pin a core to 100% while you're entering the disk passphrase. I'm just mad they didn't change it after all these years.
>>
>>58198509
This. And records exists about programmers being bullied for adding drivers.

Welcome to BSD, go back when you came from.
>>
>>58198509
Of course OpenBSD's not doing too well with drivers, it's much smaller than Linux and Linux still has driver issues with some hardware. If you want to run an operating system though, of course you should run it on supported hardware. If your hardware's not supported, you should probably run something else.
>>
>>58200062
and records exist about linus torvalds bullying programmers too

omg!
>>
>>58200238
You got to admit than bullying a programmer for adding drivers is retarded for say the least, shady if we consider the rumors of BSD being a cuck community.
>>
>>58200277
source me those claims btw
>>
>>58198378
openbsd is the shittiest bsd tbqf

fails at it's own security gimmick
>>
File: Why I left OpenBSD.png (335KB, 831x1234px) Image search: [Google]
Why I left OpenBSD.png
335KB, 831x1234px
>>58200286
k
>>
>>58200463
wew at least you finally renamed the file
>>
>>58200490
You see, I am not lazy ;^)

here is the link to the article
http://www.trollaxor.com/2010/06/why-i-left-openbsd.html
>>
>>58200521
>has fucking troll in the title
i still don't know why you're doing this, you've been doing it for 2-3 years now
>>
>>58200536
wat?
>>
>>58200463
Bullshit. Theo isn't a batshit crazy and the hw support is depends on documentation.
>>
>>58200536
>>58200582
I see, you are a fanboy. I though I was talking to a neutral person here.

Don't wory, I won't reply to your obvious bait anymore.
>>
File: kek.png (14KB, 511x134px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
14KB, 511x134px
>>58200601
ayy
I'm not a fanboy and i don't use OpenBSD since 5.8, but i admire their efforts on important or interesting projects.
>>
>>58200175
This is the "holier than thou" mixed with the "oh it's not supported, so throw it all out" I was talking about.

>it's not our fault you used anything besides 3-4 laptops that we happen to own and developed the OS on so just go buy that 15 year old hardware and it will work fine

congrats it's 201X and you are going back to 198X.

Not to mention that even if they go find this holy obscure working hardware, they have no software to use anyway. That shitty BSD rant that keeps getting posted, and literally all bsdrone mentality is
>Hmm, I don't use that, so we're going to throw it out
>>
>>58200745
They even dropped their linux compat layer further making it a toy system
>>
>>58200745
No, it's an "it is what it is" view point, because that's exactly what it fucking is. It's also worth noting that although anecdotal, every computer I've tried OpenBSD on has been fully supported (sans the Nvidia GPU in my old laptop but that's a given) and I've never bought a computer with OpenBSD in mind.

>They even dropped their linux compat layer further making it a toy system
Good. It was neglected when it was a thing anyway, they didn't really care much about it. And why should they? They should focus on their OS running native software well.
>>
>>58198378
He fell for the BSD meme.
laughing_sluts.jpg
>>
>>58200759
>linux compat layer
Shit devs gonna shit. There's a reason why Javaids is so popular. People are too fucking stupid to write portable code.
>>
>>58198378
>not using MacOS with XQuartz
>not using FreeBSD
>not using OpenIndiana
>>
>>58199008
Technically, OpenBSD doesn't have ASLR either. It has ASR. There's a difference. In that, if you want ASR on FreeBSD, you can grab a patch implementing it. It's not there by default and it's not to say that's good, but you can get it should you need it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not justifying it having no ASR/ASLR on by default, but that's mainly attributed to the fact that there is no good quality implementation provided that is stable enough and doesn't break things. FreeBSD has a different purpose than OpenBSD does, it doesn't just break things for the sake of adding something on paper(this regards the existing FreeBSD implementations of ASR/ASLR, not the OpenBSD implementation to avoid confusion). Having ASR/ASLR just for the sake of it is kind of counter productive if the implementation isn't up there with both the quality of randomization and the code quality.
>>
>>58203113
Huh, didn't know that about OpenBSD, I just assumed they had regular ASLR. I understand why FreeBSD doesn't have it yet, and even followed the discussion where that patch was understandably rejected. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that it's a huge security shortcoming, and even jails don't mean that arbitrary malicious code is safe to run. It's too bad because overall I like FreeBSD a lot, but would never use it as my day-to-day machine without ASLR
>>
>>58203113
>OpenBSD doesn't have ASLR either. It has ASR
Differences? Google sucks for this.
>>
>>58203113
source:my ass
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.