[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>try out mac for the first time >listening to some music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 10

File: 1481891010706.jpg (157KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481891010706.jpg
157KB, 1080x1080px
>try out mac for the first time
>listening to some music in itunes
>done listening, try closing the app
>click the close button
>music keeps playing
>close button doesn't exit the app, it only closes the window
defend this
>>
>>58190776
1. I dislike OSX.
2. I don't use Windows.
3. You're a moron who can't handle the idea that there might be different ways of using a computer; different idioms for a user interface.
>>
Windows has hella apps like that you fucktard. And android does that with music apps.
>>
>>58190776
You sound like a retard
>>
>>58190795
>>58190797
>>58190807
if i click the close button it means i want it to close, not continue running in the background
you LITERALLY don't even have control over your programs
>>
>>58190776
Are those your sissy feet
>>
>>58190776
as it was always meant to be
window (or gui) != process
>>
>>58191018
>what is minimise
>>
Even spotify continues to play after clicking the close button, because it minimises to tray. In macOS, it minimises to the dock.

This is the expected behaviour of a music player in 2016.
>>
>>58190984
You're just closing the gui instance, not the process.
>>
>>58191044
closing a program should close the program
literally why even have a minimize button if the """""close""""" button does the same thing
>>
>>58191050
1) see >>58191032
2) it doesn't do the same thing. Minimise stores your state and lets you resume, the close button actually closes the window
>>
>>58190984
Come back when you learn to computer.
>>
>>58191025
>what is minimise
the name is very selfesplanatory: it minimises a window

>inb4 how does that differentiate with closing a window and keeping the process active?
in mac
>work on a Word document
>finish working with it
>save doc and close it
>open new doc
whereas in windows
>work on a Word document
>finish working with it
>save doc and close it
>open Word again
>it has to laod all resources again
>open new doc
>>
>>58191050
>>58190984
Hey there, imbecile, a GUI window isn't the same as a program or a process..
>>
File: 1477639482407.jpg (35KB, 400x483px) Image search: [Google]
1477639482407.jpg
35KB, 400x483px
>>58190776
A bunch of linux music players do this too.
Thankfully deadbeef doesn't.
>>
>>58191087
>whereas in windows

Except that's wrong, retard.
>>
>>58190984
>you LITERALLY don't even have control over your programs

>he doesn't know there are different commands for close window and quit process
wew lad
>>
>closing the window to stop playing music
>instead of hitting the giant stop playback button on his mac keyboard

Why do all winfags appear to believe that Windows' counter-intuitive mess applies everywhere?

Next thing OP is going to ask is where the start button is so he can click start to shut down (what kind of Indian nigger monkey came up with that?), instead of just closing the lid which is the normal and intuitive thing to do.
>>
>>58191119
prove me wrong then
i can just prove that my point is right, with another program: spotify
Windows:
>open spotify
>play song
>close window because i dont wnat it either occupying space on the desktop nor the task bar
>spotify process terminates
>in the year of our lord and saviour 2016
absolute kek
mac:
>open spotify
>play song
>close window
>resume work
>>
>>58191138
>>spotify process terminates
It doesn't, it goes to the fucking tray and continues to play.
>>
If the close button only closes the window, how do you close the process?
>>
>>58191159
you have to right click the app in the dock and select quit
how fucking moronic
>>
>>58191159
>If the close button only closes the window, how do you close the process?
Cmd + Q or Alt + Click (AKA two finger click) on the X button

Or you can do it the retard way: >>58191161 or even go to the top menu and select Quit from the dropdown menu.
>>
>>58190984
I refuse to believe that you can actually be this retarded and still be able to shitpost on 4chan.
>>
>>58191188
He isn't, this is a common bait frequently posted on both /g/ and /b/.
>>
File: UR_A_RETARD.gif (975KB, 1298x731px) Image search: [Google]
UR_A_RETARD.gif
975KB, 1298x731px
>>58191138
>>
>>58191155
>in a recent update they (spotify) added a way to make it work like it was always supposed to under "advanced settings" that is even disabled by default
>all programs still behave the same way (close window == terminate process) unless they install an agent
>Windows is still shi
>pajeeet defense forcé in full damage control
wow
>>
>people defending the X button not having the same functionality every time
>people calling this intuitive
>>
>>58191198
>"It's retarded to have two different functions, one for closing the GUI window and one for terminating the application, it should just be one function: terminating the application"
Even Microsoft Office separates the two. Closing the window is not the same as exiting Word.
>>
>>58191181
So, when you close the window it just minimizes to the bar (except without taking resources for the gui)?
Or it goes away from the bar as well?
>>
>>58191198
holy shit you cant be this stupid
we are discussing the functionality of the left corner system buttons, not in app menus
holy crap do us a favor and kys
>>
>>58191221
>consistency = intuitiveness
>click START to shut down
>"HEY AT LEAST IT IS INTUITIVE!!!"

>>58191220
Wait, Spotify in W10 doesn't go to the tray anymore?
>>
>>58191240
Exactly. That's why the X button needs a consistent functionality, which isterminating the process.
>>
>>58191231
We are not discussing anything. This thread is just one retard sperging out.

>32 / 2 / 14
>>
>>58191224
If the program is still running in some way (for example continuing to play music), it stays in the bar/dock. If the program only functions with requiring the window open, it goes away from the bar/dock. The only programs I know that do the latter is Microsoft Office for Mac.
>>
File: 1458006657271.jpg (10KB, 111x189px) Image search: [Google]
1458006657271.jpg
10KB, 111x189px
>>58190776
>close the window
>only the window closes
>>
>>58191261
literally everyone knows that the close button closes the program, not the window
>>
>>58191252
Closing a GUI dialog never terminated the process until Windows came around and introduced their retarded concept of dialogs as "windows" into the OS.
>>
>>58191268
only on windows, where programs are closely tied in with their main window
>>
File: Captura.png (4KB, 783x66px) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
4KB, 783x66px
>>58191240
>Wait, Spotify in W10 doesn't go to the tray anymore?
it's a spotify-specific setting that has to be enabled under advanced settings because its disabled by default
still, it's spotify specific and the rest of programs under Windows terminate the process unless they have an agent installed
>>
>>58191268
Mac OS has never done this, ever. This is a concept that's unique to Windows. Even the majority of window managers on Linux doesn't terminate the process if you close the window.
>>
>>58191261
>close the window
>only the window closes
>minimize the window
>only minimizes the window

whats even the point
>>
You literally have shit for brains. Do the world a favor and make it a better place by killing yourself immediately instead of wasting its limited space.
>>
>>58191270
This.

ITT: mongoloids are butthurt because they think Windows is the only OS that has ever existed.
>>
>>58191269
Okay, then tell me how it works in OSX. When I close my web browser, what happens with it?
>>
>>58191274
>spotify specific
>literally every fucking music player does this

Also, "disabled by default", why? In the past, Spotify defaulted to always go to the tray, in every version I used for XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Why did they change the default behaviour?
>>
>>58191277
>>58191087
>>
>>58191288
it stays "open" but closes all your tabs
>>
the first mistake everyone makes when trying a new OS is comparing it to their previous OS
don't do it, mac os doesn't claim nor attempt to work like windows, try to forget windows for a moment and learn how things are done in mac os natively
if you don't want to do that, just go back to windows
>>
>>58190776
I agree.
Just use xkill.
>>
>>58191288
The window is closed and the process is suspended, but the application memory is still managed (although compressed and [potentially] swapped to disk).

This means that the next time you open the browser, the process image doesn't have to be loaded from disk, the OS just swaps the memory back in and the process only has to draw a new window.

The X button isn't even called close on macOS, it's actually called "suspend button".
>>
>>58191294
>Also, "disabled by default", why? In the past, Spotify defaulted to always go to the tray, in every version I used for XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
not in any of my machines, starting with Windows 7 which was the first i installed spotify on
>spotify specific
>literally every fucking music player does this
what i mean is that that setting affects spotify only. having it enabled does not allow edge to minimise to tray when closing all of its Windows
similarly, music player that have this behaviour have it because of a program-specific setting or agent, not becuase the OS default behaviour is such
>>
>>58191313
So when I "close" a normal program it suspends the process, but when I "close" a music player it keeps the process running while minimizing it into the tray. Doesn't sound all that consistent to me.
>>
Congratulations, OP, you've made the most retarded shitpost on /g/ this year. I'm sure your parents must be proud.
>>
>>58190776
Weird. Why do Macs have a minimize button then?
>>
>>58191326
>not in any of my machines, starting with Windows 7 which was the first i installed spotify on
Maybe it syncs settings to my online account?

>>58191330
>So when I "close" a normal program it suspends the process, but when I "close" a music player it keeps the process running while minimizing it into the tray. Doesn't sound all that consistent to me.
It's not consistent, it's intuitive.

You wouldn't expect a music player application that only provides audible output to behave in the same way as a web browser which can only function with continuous user input. They are two different things.
>>
So in MacOS after a day of closing windows, do I have to remember which processes are still open in the background, or they get all minimized?
Is there a graphical difference between the programs with an open process but closed gui, those with the gui still open, and the unopened programs pinned on the dock?
>>
>>58191368
adf out in full force
>>
>>58191371
Minimize stores the window state and keeps the GUI process/thread running.

Use browser as an example: Minimize saves all the open tabs. Close discards these tabs.
>>
>>58191394
anything that you """closed""" but is still running will remain in your dock until you fully close it
>>
>>58191394
>do I have to remember which processes are still open in the background, or they get all minimized?
No, you see the open ones in the dock. The ones that aren't in the dock aren't running.

>Is there a graphical difference between the programs with an open process but closed gui, those with the gui still open, and the unopened programs pinned on the dock?
Yes, there's a dot under the icon for the programs that are running. Those simply pinned to the dock but not running doesn't have this dot.
>>
>>58191399
So if you use a program that leaks memory like Firefox do you just have to force close it? I feel like leaving Firefox running in the background for days would result in all your memory being eaten.
>>
>>58191387
>It's not consistent, it's intuitive
>>58191240

Well now you've got me confused.
Is this part of the whole 'courage' thing Apple has going lately?
>>
>>58191416
No, the process is suspended so it doesn't run. The memory it uses will eventually be swapped out unless you restore the windows again.
>>
>>58191394
>Is there a graphical difference between the programs with an open process but closed gui, those with the gui still open, and the unopened programs pinned on the dock?

yes, there is a graphic indicator
>>
>>58191419
>Well now you've got me confused.
I was implying that consistency is NOT the same as intuitiveness.
>>
>>58191438
Oh okay.
Apples next operating system should open a second window when you press the suspend button desu. Sounds intuitive.
>>
>>58191412
So if the dot tells me which programs are open, is there a way to differentiate between the open and suspended ones?
>>
>>58191444
You would expect the Pause/Play button to pause and play an active music or video player, but you wouldn't expect that same button to have any effect on your browser window.

That's the difference between intuitiveness and consistency.
>>
>>58191454
>So if the dot tells me which programs are open, is there a way to differentiate between the open and suspended ones?
Suspended ones don't have any windows visible, desu senpai.

>inb4 then what's the difference between suspend and minimise
Minimise is a suspend where the GUI state is also stored.
>>
>>58191461
I expect a play/pause button to always play/ pause and not sometimes play/stop. That's why consistency = intuitiveness.
>>
>>58191461
What browser has a Pause/Play button?
>>
>>58191474
The keyboard has a pause/play button. Which will pause or play the active music/video player (or open iTunes and start playing if no active music or video players)

Anon is arguing that every button should behave in the exact same way for every type of program, so I'm asking him what he thinks is the appropriate behaviour for pausing a web browser.

>>58191471
See above.
>>
File: 2o6JPTc.png (80KB, 233x224px) Image search: [Google]
2o6JPTc.png
80KB, 233x224px
>>58190776
No idea why I laughed so hard.
>>
>>58191490
If there's no play/pause functionality it shouldn't do anything. Every program has a close (or suspend) button.
>>
>>58191468
>Suspended ones don't have any windows visible, desu senpai
So if I see a dot under a program icon and want to see if it's open, suspended or minimized, I have to look through my open windows to see if I find it there, then deduce its state?
>>
>>58191509
>So if I see a dot under a program icon and want to see if it's open
If there's an active window, you will be able to cmd+tab cycle to it, or you can set your dock settings to make the icons for open windows bigger (I hate that, so I've disabled it).

>suspended or minimized,
They are the same, closing a window means that a new windows has to be created whereas a minimized window has its state stored.
>>
>>58190776
i want to suck her toes
>>
>>58191534
>If there's an active window, you will be able to cmd+tab cycle to it, or you can set your dock settings to make the icons for open windows bigger (I hate that, so I've disabled it).
Ah I see, thank you.

> They are the same, closing a window means that a new windows has to be created whereas a minimized window has its state stored.
I understand how it works.
I'm just asking whether it looks different or not.
>>
>>58191534
>If there's an active window, you will be able to cmd+tab cycle to it
What a pain in the ass
>>
>>58191581
>I'm just asking whether it looks different or not.
Ah, I see. Well, no they don't.
>>
>>58191610
Alright, thank you.
>>
Yes this is stupid. For an OS that prides itself on abstracting the OS layer from the interface, and then goes all out to ensure that GUI != PROCESS

Linux does not have this time, you can switch any time you feel like trying a real OS.
>>
>>58191804
>Linux does not have this time
This problem.
>>
>>58191804
>For an OS that prides itself on abstracting the OS layer from the interface, and then goes all out to ensure that GUI != PROCESS
>Linux does not have this

It's ironic that you managed to first complain about the lack of abstraction between GUI and OS, and then managed to call it "Linux" like it's some form of singular distro
>>
>>58191840
>your argument is no match for my semantics!
Ok dude.
>>
>>58191840
typical linux autist, this is why no one wants to use your OS
>>
>>58191231
>that damage control
lmao
>>
Just read HIG, you retards.

>In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH4-SW1
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/StartStop.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH5-SW1
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/WindowAppearanceBehavior.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-CH33-SW1
>>
>>58190776
i really want to lick those feet
>>
post more of dem feet
>>
>>58190776
Fine for applications like music player(players, torrent clients, messengers do that in Windows as well). Absolutely retarded for everything else.
>>
>>58192811
This explains everything.
/thread
>>
>>58191572
>her
>>
File: 5655676.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
5655676.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>try out windows for first time
>open window to listen to music for first time
>don't need the window open since I don't need to repeatedly interact with it
>try to close it since the service will still run in the background
>close window
>music stops playing

WOW
>>
>>58190776
but that's better though. you don't need to be so dependant on your DE like you do in Windows
>>
>>58190984
you get into the habbit of right clicking the dock to quit an application in OS X. it's just different, not worse.

and you can have more things running at the same time in OS X without things crashing and breaking like in Windows :)
>>
>>58191283
90% of the market must be mongloids then :^)
>>
>>58191198
op is talking about the [x] button. it seems you're the retard
>>
That's fine if closing the window doesn't terminate the entire process. It's only shitty if the X and minimize buttons serve the exact same purpose.
>>
>>58190776
sounds like you programmed your windows wrong
>>
>>58190984

Am I being trolled with this post or what? How much bait am I about to imbibe if I respond seriously to this?
>>
>>58190984
You have more control over it, since you can decide when to quit it, even if you have multiple windows of it open.
>>
>>58191119
>chrome

>on mac
>start a download
>close window
>download is still going

>on windows
>start a download
>try to close window
>"you cannot do this unless you want to cancel download"
>have to minimize window to close it later on
>>
>>58191252
Not even windows has a consistent x button. Skype, that now gets bundled with the OS, goes to system tray when clicking the x button. More and more programs do this too.
>>
>>58190776

Sounds just like using ncmpcpp+mpd
>>
>>58199026
>facebook
faggot.
>>
Close window closes a window, not the program. What logic is that? It's like expecting me to stop touching her when she tells me to stop.
>>
>OSX
>Can decide between exiting the program and running it on the background without clutter
>Programs that only allow exiting are the exception rather than the rule

>Windows
>Can only exit the program -unless- it specifically has an option for that (which you would have to toggle, can't decide behavior by pressing a key while closing the window)

I mean, which is worse?

Sure if you're a winbabby you're going to get confused at how OSX works, like those people who can't merge files for shit because they can't hold a key.
>>
Sounds similar to how closing ncmpcpp doesn't stop my music, because it's actually playing from mpd. This is a nice setup I did on purpose. Does iTunes have a daemon that runs in the background, or did you actually just minimize iTunes?

Also, I have seen this pasta before.
>>
>>58191881
Not semantics here. There's no single, offical, or main distro or environment, so describing how something graphical works on GNU/Linux doesn't make much sense unless you get extremely specific and talk about individual environments.
>>
>>58207010
No, iTunes can play in "the background" on macOS since on that OS you dont terminate the process if you click on the red 'close' button on the top of the window.
On Windows, iTunes behaves like most other programs, you click the red cross button and it stops playing, since the program/process is terminated (if it was the last open window of the program)

However, do note that iTunes does have a helper but that's only there to check if an iPod or other iDevice is connected to the computer, to launch iTunes when that happens.
>>
>>58207331
Yeah, after reading the thread more I found out the stuff is still in the dock, so I guess it's like closing a program but keeping it open in the tray, rather than a daemon without a counterpart running. Thanks.
>>
You know, for a supposedly technologically oriented board, you people sure do have issues doing the simplest of tasks.......
>>
>Tries out mac OS
>OS is not like Windows
>Gets mad
If you dont like it, you dont have to use it
>>
>all this mactoddlers getting triggered because their OS UX is shit
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482765157156.jpg (18KB, 480x487px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482765157156.jpg
18KB, 480x487px
On Windows iTunes is just another music player.
On macOS however, it is a deeply routed part of the Operating system. Any media playback is handled through itunes and quick time, so it always keeps running. This makes it alot more useful than any media player could ever be on Windows or Linux.

Suck it you cucks!
>>
>>58206532
I hate that shit

Why the fuck do I have to open up the fucking system monitor to shut down these shitty programs

If it doesn't kill the process when I exit the program, you've fucked up.
>>
>>58206469
>>"you cannot do this unless you want to cancel download"
I'm fairly sure it just closes doesn't it?
And yeah that's kind of the point of the close button.
>>
>>58191313
>it's actually called "suspend button".

except nobody ever calls it that ever
even those weird people who actually like macs call it the close button or just the x button
>>
>>58192811
basically every app can do something different

that really makes sense
>>
>>58197867
>and you can have more things running at the same time in OS X without things crashing and breaking like in Windows :)
[citation needed]
>>
>>58208462
>i like the fact that a program that constantly tries to sell me stuff and is anti competition is a part of my operating system

all the fucking kool aid in the world has been drunk
>>
>>58208415
It's more like all these windows users not understanding that things dont all work just like their ducktape os.
>>
>>58208570
No, it gives a warning dialog. And people usually want their download to complete, they forget about it being downloaded in the background. Someone closing the browser by clicking the close button just to stop a download seems like something noone would ever do.
>>
>>58190797
since when does android have a close button
>>
>>58208626
He just means the codecs and media player aspects of it. Not the actual program and store. You can preview any audio file in your filebrowser or e-mail without having to open it. As well as media content on a webpage, these all get handled by it.
>>
>>58190776
Those slippers look cosy.
>>
>>58190984
this.

the most common by far use case is that when you close the gui you want to finish every related process. for all the other, rare, use cases, is way more clear if you have a service.

you can't expect a user to start a process one simple way, and finish it in another, obscure way.
>>
>>58190776
A retarded workflow design, probably just for the sake of differentiate themselves from MS-Windows
>>
File: 1482272837689.jpg (39KB, 477x360px) Image search: [Google]
1482272837689.jpg
39KB, 477x360px
>>58190776
>using a Mac listening to Pandora in the browser
>hit play/pause hardware button thinking I'm using Spotify or whatever
>iTunes launches (as it does whenever you hit the play/pause button and no music app is running)
>try to uninstall iTunes
>"OS X needs iTunes to be able to run" or something like that
>open terminal
>"sudo rm -rf iTunes"
>actually works, iTunes is gone and play/pause button no longer launches it
>several days later, iTunes mysteriously appears on my Mac again
>>
>>58211048
>not having a self-healing operating system
It's like you want your system to stop booting when a retarded user runs something on it.
>>
>>58211062
Just deleted iTunes again and rebooted to check; OS X boots fine without iTunes. I don't know when it gets reinstalled, but it does.
>>
>>58190776
>about to 2017
>still being tech illiterate at this day and age

learn 2 CMD+Q anon
>>
>>58197778
>I'm too stupid to minimize
>>
>>58206739
Of course you've been explained over and over that macOS cannot merge folders while choosing the behaviour for every conflict, but you're going to keep pretending not to get it.
>>
>>58211816
Does not work on Finder
>>
Do macfags start the process in the background and then attach a window to it? No, that's retarded, why would anyone do that.

Then why do they think it makes sense to close the window separately and then the process? Why is macOS so inconsistent that you start programs one way and close them in another way?
>>
>>58212104
Every single process you start just happens to spawn a window and shift focus to said window
>>
>>58212474
>just happens to
What do you mean just happens to? Is it somehow a huge coincidence that 100% of all developers decided to do it this way?
And you missed my question (on purpose, obviously): why wouldn't closing 'just happen' to do the same thing? It would make the behaviour consistent.
>>
>>58212555
Yeah that was mostly sarcastic.

Really, I think that it should be a case by case basis. Some programs are more tied to a window than others. E.g. music playing apps like spotify should be able to run in the background without a window, but when I close my last browser window, I'd like the process to shut down.

In general, I think it's good to have the option, so I don't mind that most programs don't quit when their window is closed on OS X.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.