[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those of us inclined to play video games, I'd like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: nvidia_share.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia_share.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
For those of us inclined to play video games, I'd like to have a discussion about the idea of playing Local ONLY Multiplayer games over the internet.

The best way I can think of to handle this is with a screen sharing program or perhaps some form of remote desktop program that would allow a net player to genuinely play as if they were on the same computer, but the obvious limitations (lag, input delay, CPU overhead) are very offputting.

So let's talk about it. Are we getting close to this being possible for the average consumer (who is tech savvy, that is)?
>>
>>58189076
>>>/v/
>>
>>58189076
kill yourself
>>
>>58189076
I was just playing that with my dad. He just unlocked the playback tool.
>>
>>58189459
>>58189265
Calm down boys.
He's discussing something that /v/ would be too retarded for.
>>
>>58189656
>He
did you just assume OP's gender?
>>
>>58189656
By the looks of the thread so far, /g/ is too retarded for it as well.
>>
>>58189076
That's an interesting idea. I've often wondered if it would be possible to play a split-screen multiplayer game while splitting the screen to separate monitors.
>>
>>58189733
Split-screen has more or less gone the way of the dodo.

Local multiplayer games are for some reason coming back into popularity, at least amongst indie developers.

A lot of them aren't good enough at programming to even add in LAN play so that it can be done via Hamachi.
>>
What you said is the only reasonable way I can think of and at that point the problem isn't on the consumer as it is on infrastructure and manufacturers, I think most of us can handle the tax of streaming reasonable quality video with hardware assistance as well as the bandwidth required for send it to another person along with inputs quickly.

The only other alternative I know of doesn't seem feasible for most games. I'm talking about systems used in some emulators for netplay where they have the ability to monitor the ram of the host and send deltas of that to the client along with input so the video streaming doesn't have to happen, for older games this works well because the delta of the memory+input should be lighter than sending video frames+input.

I forget what this is called though and I forget if it's how GGPO works or not, I'm pretty sure mednafen works this way with a server sitting between clients.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.