[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have an amd phenom ii x4 910, 8 gbs of ram, an hd 3650, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: L_00002604.jpg (65KB, 562x530px) Image search: [Google]
L_00002604.jpg
65KB, 562x530px
I have an amd phenom ii x4 910, 8 gbs of ram, an hd 3650, and an old motherboard lying around. Would it even be worth getting the rest of the parts to make it a functioning computer? Or would it be too slow to really do much of anything?
>>
It would make a fine shitposting machine
>>
If you want to do it for the keks, fine.
Anyway it will cost you money for the other parts, it will eventually run sluggish and will also draw so much power for very poor performance, so act wisely.
>>
>>58182918
Depends what you'd use that tier of hardware for.
Light oldschool gaming? Sure
Hobby tier nas or mini server, as long as you dont care about power draw, sure

I just bought an optiplex with a P4 for the sole purpose of cosmetic practice, gonna make old shit look good
>>
Yeah that would make a pretty decent machine. It would play some pretty legit games with a graphics card upgrade too, my current gaming rig has a quad core Opteron and 6GB of ram with an HD7850
>>
>>58182918
Isn't that thing a q6600 equivalent? If it's so, it's a i3 equivalent. Not really bad for a shitposthing machine.
>>
>>58182918
I thought of turning my old x4 955 into a NAS. The power draw on those things is insane for very little in terms of performance. You'd be better off buying a whole new PC with a cheap current-gen i3.
>>
>>58182918
Yes, just don't buy obsolete parts to do so. Buy things that can be used in a new build, because that's not worth much now on the used market and by the time it's really obsolete it won't be worth anything. It can be worth it to put decent parts into an old build if they'll carry over to a new one.
I'd wait for a sale on a 480/512GB SSD where they're closer to $80, then get a Corsair CX500 when they're $20-25 after rebate, or a $30ish EVGA 500 PSU.
Case you can ultra cheap out on by getting one from a recycler, or that's something you could definitely spend money on to get something nice like a Define R4, since that's something that will last for decades.

I'd put that video card up on CL for $10, though. You can get ones 3x as fast for $20 if your CL is decent.
>>
You could undervolt the cpu to lower power draw. I did it back in the day on stock clocks. They run super cool although I'm betting it would still draw 60 watts at idle.
>>
Yeah I'd say so. I built a rig from a Phenom II X3, 8gb of ram and an R9 270X. It was perfectly fine, with an SSD I couldn't really tell it apart from my desktop. It did alright with gaming, ran unigine heaven at full HD with mid/high settings and got a solid 40-50 fps. Of course the processor was bottlenecking, but I imagine I could've reached 60fps with an X4.

As for your GPU, it does produce image. That's what it's good for mostly, nowadays, but you can get a 7870 for like $30-50 that will scale perfectly with your CPU. You can still play /v/ tier shit like CS:GO, minecraft and LoL. That's something considering the age and net value of those parts.
>>
>>58183823
Did you try unlocking the 4th core
>>
>>58184046

No. I remember it being not possible in the 945, though I might be mistaken. I think I googled it once.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.