[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In what university did you study? When? Did you get only bachelor's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: jsLqR3E[1].png (88KB, 890x670px) Image search: [Google]
jsLqR3E[1].png
88KB, 890x670px
In what university did you study? When?
Did you get only bachelor's degree or applied also for master studies?
How did you like it?
Was it expensive? How did you pay?
Where do you work now?

What subjects did you learn during you bachelor study?
Mathematical analysis?
Probability theory?
Linear algebra?
System theory?

Some programming languages? C++, Java, C#?
Functional languages? Haskell, Lisp, Prolog?
Databases?
System analysis course?
Information system development?

Gamedev?

Data structures, algorithms course?

Maybe you had machine learning course? Or was it during master's studies?
>>
>>58163636
I learned a bunch of shit but forgot it because it's all useless for my "codemonkey" job that pays 3x more what people in academia make. It's mainly just for the piece of paper to prove you're not an idiot and get you in the door.
>>
This
>>
I work at Walmart stocking groceries for $10/hour.
>>
>>58163636
I have a bachelor of fine arts. Self-taught developer. Been doing it for 10 years. Currently on 150k salary, managing a small team.
>>
>>58163636
University of Bergen.
It was fine, and the cost is as in any other public university (and in Norway the private universities is for the idiots who couldn't get into a proper public one), about $100 per semester.

I currently work as a consultant for a BI company.

I had:
> Discrete mathematics
> Formal Logic.
> EVEN MORE FORMAL LOGIC.
> Data structures and Algorithms.
> Category theory
> Computational Linguistics.(with Common Lisp)
> Programming Paradigms (SICP light, with Haskell and Prolog instead of Scheme).
> Relational Databases
> Non-relational Databases. (Fuck XQuery.)
> Artificial Intelligence.

And that's about the hard ones I had during my bachelor. During my master's degree, everything was hard AND fun. So I didn't notice how hard it was.

I've had so much about things related to data storage and retrieval that I had no choice but to work with it. ;_;

I now understand why CJ Date is so mad all the time.
>>
Cornell University, just bachelor's.
Ithaca, NY is beautiful but boring. Loved all my CS professors and learned a lot. Ridiculously expensive but financial aid is super generous, covered way over half of costs.

Going into Google as a full-time SWE next year after I graduate.

Major is fairly flexible so outside of core CS stuff (data structures, OS, OOP, functional paradigms, discrete math, algo, db), I pushed for an ML-focused education. Took two undergrad ML courses, an AI course, and PhD-level courses in both subjects.

Cornell CS touches upon tons of languages through different courses: Python, MATLAB/Octave (inb4 not a real programming language, but actually super helpful for anything involving matrices/linear algebra), Java, C, C++, UNIX shell scripting, OCaml and probably a few others.

Based on my starting offer from Google I'd say university was absolutely worth it.
>>
>>58168046

which goog location?
>>
>>58163636
>In what university did you study? When?

Studied engineering in Norway

>Did you get only bachelor's degree or applied also for master studies?

Master degree

>How did you like it?

No, it was difficult and a lot of work.

>Was it expensive? How did you pay?

It cost ~$30 per semester. Paid it with a part time job.

>Where do you work now?

I have my own company and work as a consultant (not directly relevant to my engineering degree. I mostly do data science with Python)

>What subjects did you learn during you bachelor study?

Physics, chemistry, math and that sort of thing. Lab shit.

>Mathematical analysis?
>Probability theory?
>Linear algebra?

Yes to these

>System theory?

No

>Some programming languages? C++, Java, C#?
>Functional languages? Haskell, Lisp, Prolog?
>Databases?
>System analysis course?
>Information system development?

Not any of these, learned everything I know outside the university

>Gamedev?
>Data structures, algorithms course?

No

>Maybe you had machine learning course? Or was it during master's studies?

No
>>
>>58168099
Irvine
>>
>>58168131
Which university bro?
NTNU, UiO, UiB, other?
>>
>>58168423
NMBU it's called now. (used to be UMB)
>>
>>58168507
Are cows technology?
>>
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, was a top 60-70 university and top 30 in compsci until recently. still top 100 in both.
>>
I studied physics (B.Sc. and M.Sc.) in Heidelberg University in Germany. I paid ~140€ per semester. Had a lot of Analysis, Linear Algebra 1 and some introductions to probability theory, but this was strongly focussed on data analysis. Could have done the mathematicians' probability theory lectures if I wanted to but I didn't.
Introduction to applied computer science was done in Haskell. Many people were butthurt so we did some C/C++ as well. In physics lectures, Python and C++ were taught/required though.

Yes, I've also had a lecture called "Data structures and algorithms".

Before anyone thinks about studying in Heidelberg: It's physics faculty is great, but our computer science faculty doesn't have a good reputation. I don't know why. Bachelor lectures are usually in German, master lectures in English. PhD and postdocs are also usually in English.
>>
>>58168699
Haha, no... They have an excellent genetic department, but I studied environmental engineering. They also have other kinds of civil engineering and chemical/mechanical engineering. It's not only life sciences. Although they do have cows.
>>
>>58163636
>System theory?
>System analysis course?
>Information system development?

Wut?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.