[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>local electronic club >dj uses windows 10 laptop >after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 13

File: 72186917.jpg (6KB, 194x212px) Image search: [Google]
72186917.jpg
6KB, 194x212px
>local electronic club
>dj uses windows 10 laptop
>after 20 minutes of playing music suddenly stops
>dj looks helpless
>minutes pass and after a while people start getting irritated
>music finally starts after 40 minutes of waiting
>find out after the show that dj's laptop suddenly decided to update and restart 4 times just installing updates, restarting, installing more updates

It just wekrs
>>
Laughed IRL. Forced updates is the biggest proprietary software meme. I wonder when the industry will realise what an awful idea it is, because at this point, pretty much every casual and professional Windows user knows it.
>>
>being in the """music industry"""
>not using a macbook

he deserved it
>>
No joke, this actually happened to a friend of mine with his Asus laptop while he was using it to DJ a weekly karaoke gig at a bar. Had to wait like 15 goddamn minutes before the music was back on.

Thanks Microsoft.
>>
>not using W10 enterprise and manually patching
>>
So is there any way to disable automatic updates?
>>
>>58162499
Yes, but people never do it.
>>
>doesn't use a macbook
>'''DJ'''
>>
>>58162475
>not using anything but Windows 10
Basically you BELEIVE that Microsoft won't do anything like that and won't change your settings(it changes your settings back in other versions).
>>
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 Is this enough?
>>
i've heard this nightmare a few times but it seems like DJs should have their phones ready to go with some shitty pandora playlist or something for situations like this. hard drives can die, crashes can happen, etc. seems better to have a backup than wait 30+ minutes of silence
>>
>>58162526
You don't have to be Skrillex to be a dj.
>>
>>58162436
this is Microsoft's way of telling people their product is inferior on every level and that they should buy a mac already, because they've give up
>>
That never happened, right OP? Anyway,
>too retarded to set active hours correctly or postpone the restart when the pending updates notification shows
Not a single time my windows 10 machine has restarted while I was using it.
>>
>>58162436
So an incompetent DJ basically. How is this Windows fault in any way? It even asks you if you want to update or postpone.
>>
>>58162499
>>58162519
This is the main problem, I think. The average computer user shouldn't have to do anything special to prevent their computer from shutting down while they're using it. Whoever was pushing for this to be the default behaviour at Microsoft must have forgotten that people use their general purpose computers for more than just casually browsing Facebook.
>>
>>58162548
You don't even need that, Windows 10 has a active hrs setting where it won't reboot for updates during the hrs you set.

So much stupidity and baiting in this thread.
>>
>>58162594
I shit you not this actually happened, I will never forget the djs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ face.
>>
>>58162594
>>58162595
>>58162606
>too retarded to set active hours correctly
>So an incompetent DJ basically.
>Windows 10 has a active hrs setting
Stop. This isn't an argument. See >>58162598. The average computer user _is_ retarded, but that doesn't mean their computers should shut down while they are using them. A lot of people rely on computers for their occupations but aren't especially proficient with them. Sane behaviour (like not shutting down while in use) should be the default, especially for the most popular consumer operating system. There is no excuse for this from Microsoft's side. Yes, professionals who use Windows laptops must now know about "active hours" by necessity, but that doesn't excuse Windows 10's update system from being a shitshow.
>>
File: 1479864004375.jpg (10KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
1479864004375.jpg
10KB, 262x192px
>want Win10 phone for Christmas
>decide on the last moment to get Android phone instead
>i'm reading ITT
>mfw

I liked Microsoft and Windows for a long time, but my previous experience with Win10 and all these posts make me happy that I didn't fall into Win10 meme once again.
>>
>>58162606
It should check user activity, not meme hours. Your damage controll and W10 in the ebin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBGwisx7y8E
>>58162606
>So much stupidity and baiting in this thread.
hurr-durr
>>
>>58162645
The thing is that having your computer updated is fundamental from a security standpoint. Most people, especially non techsavvy people, don't give a shit about updating, so having an automated way of downloading and applying updates, flexible enough to be able to postpone updates like you can perfectly do on Windows 10, but where the user can't disable it is the right thing to protect users. I'm pretty sure as a result, Windows 10 is going to be by far the most secure version of Windows.

Don't like it? Install an alternative. When the DJ installs Windows 7, disables automatic updating and forgets to enable it back because he doesn't even know what updating is besides some annoying nerd thing computers do, he may have a problem in the long run.
>>
>>58162696

Dude, it does it while you're in the middle of using it.

That's a fuckup.
>>
File: 1479382984108.jpg (94KB, 632x638px) Image search: [Google]
1479382984108.jpg
94KB, 632x638px
i know this isn't /mu/... but seriously, why do people pay money to watch some asshole press play on a laptop? i can ALMOST understand watching a turntablist (not some guy mixing two 120 bpm records with a fader) but to pay money and be entertained by some guy with a laptop...

maybe I'm just old, but it seems really fucking stupid
>>
The MacBook Pro with Retina Display does not have this problem.
>>
>>58162436
>>58162472
>DJs have no idea what they are doing
No surprise there.
>>
>>58162696
If Microsoft really care about that, they should improve the state of online updates in Windows, but they can't just shutdown the computer to work around a lack of online security updates. The most fundamental property of a computer is that it is fit for purpose. This means it must not randomly switch off while in use, even when the user is incompetent. Security will always be second to that. The DJ is probably not going to get pwned by an OS-level 0-day during his set.

>Don't like it? Install an alternative.
Yes, I agree with this solution, and I hope incidents like this drive people to Mac (and, while I'm dreaming, a handful of people to desktop GNU/Linux.) Consumers have put up with Microsoft's shit for far too long.
>>
>>58162472
>15 goddamn minutes

Literally an eternity. Were people shaking?
>>
File: win10.webm (746KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
win10.webm
746KB, 640x360px
>>58162436
>>
>>58162436
>An OS that needs to be restarted to install critical updates.
Topkek OP, good joke, those haven't existed in 20 years!
>>
>>58162696
Dude they push interface updates just as much, it's not because they give a crap about security.

This isn't the user's fault. Obscure opt-out settings are not obvious.
>>
>>58162735
It's less about skill and more about song selection. The DJ himself shouldn't be the entertainment, but rather the music he chooses.

I hate the superstar festival DJ meme too but you shouldn't dismiss all of them because of it.
>>
File: she did literally nothing wrong.jpg (23KB, 490x480px) Image search: [Google]
she did literally nothing wrong.jpg
23KB, 490x480px
>>58162777
I understand that they love their OS, or get paid. But I really like it when wincucks scramble the defense force to defend this kind of shit.
>>
>>58162773
Luckily he had a Pandora playlist on his phone as a backup while the laptop was doing its thing. But it sucks to have to tell people to wait because of fucking Windows updates.
>>
>>58162741
>can't merge folders
>>
File: winner.png (318KB, 361x563px) Image search: [Google]
winner.png
318KB, 361x563px
>>58162733

dubs of trueness
>>
>>58162436
>It just wekrs

There is a reason why Microsoft never used this term about Windows.

Should have learned how to do everything in Linux.

>>58162466
>I wonder when the industry will realise what an awful idea it is

If it's so awful then why do people still use Windows? Because people love windows, they like to get fucked by a big company. It's like owning a Mac only cheaper.

The whole point of the forced updates is so that people are inconvenienced as much as possible. Which is why it updates when microsoft knows it is currently in use, like this >>58162472

>>58162598
>>58162645
>>58162696
>>58162733
>>58162657

Microsoft knows when he uses the computer or not due to the spyware, there is no reason why they would do the automatic updates when the user is using the computer. They do it out of spite.

>>58162766
>The DJ is probably not going to get pwned by an OS-level 0-day during his set.
But he WAS pwned by the integrated malware which functions like a classical virus and restarts in the middle of his work.

>>58162499
Not really, people claim there is a way. But if they actually knew of a way then they would tell Microsoft and get thousands of dollars richer. And with every update they remove tons of such weaknesses. You would need to use a very old version of windows full of security holes.

>>58162548
Yeah, russian malware makes your computer function better than without the malware.

>>58162814
I think they all get paid, nobody likes to be treated like a baby, even those defending this shit.
>>
>>58162777
Wouldn't he be running the twitch stream on a 2nd monitor on the same computer? Stream should die when the update starts too.
>>
>>58162823
You can perform any filesystem operation from a bash shell. Wincucks will never understand this.
>>
>>58162499
Uninstall windows.exe
>>
>>58162843
>Wouldn't he be running the twitch stream on a 2nd monitor on the same computer? Stream should die when the update starts too.
Capture card and another computer/laptop running the stream maybe, so it doesn't interfere with game performance or vice-versa?
>>
>>58162436
>decided to update and restart

Sounds like user error, the only time it forces this is after it has been delayed from monthly patches being able to install for two weeks.

I find it hard to believe these peoples machines are being used 24/7 for weeks on end with no time to apply security updates, sounds like lazy people who think they know better when the sad reality is they are the stupid people that caused updates to be forced like this in the first place.
>>
>>58162606
So tell me then, how does having this horrible hack make forced updates a valid and practical solution?
It's just shit piled on more shit.
>>
>>58162843
I don't know much about stream shit, but I think some people like to stream from a separate computer for performance reasons.
>>
>>5816guyyy2850
So the most polished OS in the world needs CLI to merge 2 folders? Embaracing. Linux does not have this problem.
>>
>>58162857
>>58162865
Ah, I see
>>
File: image_3.jpg (29KB, 480x423px) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
29KB, 480x423px
>>58162436
>local electronic club
>>
>>58162864
>So tell me then, how does having this horrible hack make forced updates a valid and practical solution?
Well you see, windows needs to restart to install system updates because it can't access files in use by running processes (i.e. the operating system) so it needs to reboot and update these files before the OS fully starts up. But this is a pain in the ass because all the user's running programs get killed in the process so nobody wants to do it and they just disable updates or delay it indefinitely. So microsoft, afraid that this will leave windows insecure (apparently), force the updates eventually despite the user's protests.

I mean it kinda makes sense, but it's still a pain in the ass.
>>
>>58162908
>can't access files in use by running processes
Er, can't alter*
>>
>>58162864
>So tell me then, how does having this horrible hack make forced updates a valid and practical solution?
>It's just shit piled on more shit.

At least when people work in unusual times, maybe they have some deadline then they get forced updates in the middle of the work.

This "hack" as you call it is a great way for microsoft to blame the user. Customers like to be fucked and they don't like to have control over their own computer. If they did they would get Linux.

>>58162908
>Well you see, windows needs to restart to install system updates because it can't access files in use by running processes (i.e. the operating system) so it needs to reboot and update these files before the OS fully starts up.

Literally only a problem on windows.
>>
>>58162469
>being in the """music industry"""
>not using gentoo
fix'd
>>
>>58162436
Literally the reason why I went and installed a Linux distro. Was in the middle of a movie and suddenly LMAO ITS FORCED REBOOT TIME YOU KEK XD.

Fuck whoever thought forced update reboots was a good idea.
>>
>windows running in kvm with gpu passthrough
>one night power off the virtual machine
>the GPU powers off and returns the control of the monitors to the host system GPU
>Qemu doesn't exit though
>windows is still running but pretending to be off
>input devices still bound to be
>stays in this fake power down mode for a little over an hour
>need to ssh to my desktop to finish up Linux things

I thought I'd evaded this shit by forcing windows to actually shut down rather than hibernating.
>>
>>58162499
don't leave yourself online, retard
>>
>>58162696
>Most people, especially non techsavvy people, don't give a shit about updating, so having an automated way of downloading and applying updates, flexible enough to be able to postpone updates like you can perfectly do on Windows 10, but where the user can't disable it is the right thing to protect users.

Bullshit. And even if that WAS true, that still doesn't even get close to excusing a forced restart while the user is in the middle of doing something.
>>
>>58162957
>any industry
>using memetoo
Yeah.... No, come back once you leave you're mom's basement.
>>
But the greatest difference I noticed with updates when going from Windows to Linux, right.
The updates actually fixed bugs. They brought more features. They made performance improvements.
Rather than just breaking my older software, slowing down my system, resetting and removing options and installing telemetry.

It's no wonder Microsoft has to force their updates when no one has any desire to use them. To the user, they seem to range between useless and damaging.
>>
>>58163017
>And even if that WAS true, that still doesn't even get close to excusing a forced restart while the user is in the middle of doing something.

Users like to be embarrased and fucked over by their technology. Apple does it all the time and they sell more every time they do. Microsoft will be a huge success when it inconveniences enough people.
>>
>>58163042
OKI is a huge Point Of Sale developer and they use Gentoo on them.
>>
>>58162645
>Note: We'll check to see if you're using this device before attempting to restart

Way to fail reading comprehension.

>>58162657
>Posting old versions of Windows 10 without active hrs or checking.
>Not baiting
>>
>>58163083
POS? Then the right OS is the POSReady meme.
>>
>>58162436
I was once playing a fullscreen multiplayer game and suddenly it crashed. It had been telling me that updates will restart my PC but I had a fullscreen program so I never saw it. My PC rebooted while I was playing.

This wasn't even Win10, it happened a few years ago. I changed settings after that but it's a terrible OS for gaming when things like that are the defaults.
>>
>>58162436
>DJ
>uses a computer

laptop DJ plz go
>>
>>58162436
I don't know much about DJing but what software could the DJ on his computer? Just an audio player, right?
>>
>>58162548
That looks suspiciously like malware.
>>
>>58163276
everything in windows looks like malware
>>
>>58162646
You consumerist Sino kek.
>>58162735
>>58162801
I thought the DJ was show-casing still. Mind you, I had a really bad time the last time I was in the same room as a DJ but that was an unrelated incident.
>>
>>58162436

>local electronic club
>dj uses linux laptop
>there's no sound
>dj looks helpless
>minutes pass and after a while people start going home to install arch and post in a desktop thread
>>
>>58163276
malware usually make windows 10 a more pleasant experience to use though.
>>
>>58163295
Likely because sound is muted by default in Alsamixer whenever you add a new sound device. (Why does it do that? It must have been a deliberate choice)
>>
>>58163317
I trust you have spigot and conficker installed?
>>
>>58163360
I don't have windows 10. If I want unpleasant behavior then I install malware on my own. Don't need it pre-installed.
>>
File: 1429592354579.gif (1MB, 260x173px) Image search: [Google]
1429592354579.gif
1MB, 260x173px
>>58162466
The industry doesn't give a fuck about anything as long as mindless sheep continue to buy that shit. The only way to stop it, is for people to finally start voting with their wallets.
>>
>>58162466
and they take it up like good little goys

customer fidelization basically makes you a god
>>
Wut?

I though updates gave a prompt to fuck off for 10 minutes to 4 hours before installing and rebooting.
>>
>>58164040
they removed that, i believe
>>
>>58162436
You're full of shit. Windows literally takes over your screen 10 mins before update asking if you want to defer, and updates usually install 24 hours on advance and let you know that it intend to restart which wouldn't have happened at that time if the computer was in active hours....
>>
>>58164061
No they didn't
>>
>>58162436
Why didn't he disable automatic updates from Group Policy? It takes like 15s to do.
>>
>>58164132
Not if you are currently doing something else, then they do all that in the background
>>
>>58164182
No the entire point is to let you know because you're doing something AND it still let's you know at least a DAY in advance
>>
>>58164369
if you are using some fullscreen application like a game then it just does it in the background. This is very common to see on streams. People streaming for a while and then just suddenly restarts after a few hours without any notice.

So what you are saying is false and contradicts empirical data.
>>
>>58162436
Why not just defer updates and update it once a month when you have plenty of time?
>>
>>58164040
That was on 7 to 8.1
That option never shows on 10 at all
>>
>>58163448
>implying this will ever happen
at least when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s you were forced to learn basic shit in order to use computers
You think this iPhone/Tablet generation has ANY chance?
>>
Shoulda boughta mac.
>>
>being too retarded to configure updates properly

I hope you get raped.
>>
>>58162436
one of my lectures ended early because the lecturers machine did this
>>
>>58162436
Windows 10 is a joke for anyone who actually needs a computer for anything other than a quick google search.
>>
>>58162436
His fault

If I was going to put on a show I'd turn on my windows PC and run all updates before heading out
>>
>>58162874
>Embaracing
Someone should make a racing game called that.

>>58163295
One rupee has been deposited into your Microsoft account for special exclusive offers to acquire Microsoft shirts and boxer shorts.
>>
>>58162466
macos does it right
>>
>>58162436
Being a dj and connecting to Fuckin Internet during a set..is he a Fuckin autist
>>
>>58162606
Do you not realize that this should not be a problem in the first place
>>
>>58165620
It's the way it needs to be.
>>
>>58165679
You're OK with not having control of your computer anymore? Alrighty then.
>>
>going to nightclubs
Fuck off and drink bleach.
>>
>>58162773
>>58162751
Why are you making excuses and defending this? Isn't admitting that Apple is the better choice a step backwards?
>>
File: 1429042796862.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
1429042796862.gif
891KB, 325x252px
>>58165696
>rreeeeee normies
>muh sekrit klub
>>
>>58165712
>strawman
Doesn't matter if you're CWC or Based BillyG. If you go to nightclubs you're a subhuman.
>>
>>58165735
>mentally ill autismo calling people with a social life subhumans
>>
>>58165690
I'm ok with the 7 billion idiots on this planet not having control of their computers. You put my internet at risk.
An inconvenient update on my machine is a small price to pay to ensure that yours is updated too. (And you will be a Windows 10 user at some point)
>>
>>58165801
Clubbing is subhuman, and most normalfags will figure it out over time.
>>
>>58165888
I'll bite, why is it subhuman?
>>
>>58162469
>be at a party
>talk to dj because being drunk makes me social
>ask how does everything works
>he's really nice and explains (he was drunk too, though)
>"do you wanna know a secret?"
>yeah, sure
>the mac does nothing, my internet is not working and I brought it to download movies
>>
>>58165964
Because I'm an awkward faggot
>>
>>58165888
There are different kinds of clubs though
>>
>>58165964
Because he's convinced himself that not having a social life is his own choice, that way he doesn't have to accept nobody likes him.
>>
Lol. This is what happens when you're a retard and build pretty much every god damn feature of an OS in kernel space; such features as UI scrollbars and fucking font rendering are In the M$ kernel.

When you update, you have to reload the kernel.
>>
>>58162436
Kek.
>>
>>58165964
it's degenerate and stupid.
>>58166073
>clubs
>socializing
lol.
>>
>"""""DJ"""""
>Not using an analog synth.

Nice joke.
>>
>>58166179
>why is it subhuman
>because it's degenerate
That isn't a good answer.
>>
>>58165964
Because the only people who go to clubs are lowest common denominator degenerates. Chads, stacies, and fuccbois.
>>
>>58162519

Knowledge does not matter, just be an apple mac faggot baby.
>>
>>58166258
because the main demographic for nightclubs is braindead alcoholics.
>go to place
>crowded
>no AC
>smells bad
>music is awful and so loud you can't even hear someone else speak (lol socializing)
>everyone is on drugs and/or drunk
in what universe is this not the maximum degeneracy?
>>
I have a windows 10 laptop for my uni classes. I just set active hours, and it updates when I'm charging it. Never even really see the update screen. While windows 10 is shit, I gotta say that DJ is just retarded.
>>
>>58162475
Arent they changing a monthly fee for that now?
>>
>>58162595
No it doesn't. It just tells you its shutting down for updates in 15min in win10 they removed the postpone button.
>>
File: myfeethurt.jpg (68KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
myfeethurt.jpg
68KB, 600x597px
>>58166326
>>
File: 1480895518910.jpg (210KB, 1280x706px) Image search: [Google]
1480895518910.jpg
210KB, 1280x706px
A friend of mine a dj said that if you dont know much about computers then go mac otherwise windows is no problem.
>>
>>58165813
What about those not using windows 10? Most people I know turned off WU years ago.
>>
>>58166536
that's clearly an el salvadorian
>>
>>58166685
you are all spicshits
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.