[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/eeks Im a pretty young person looking to become a system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Hey /g/eeks
Im a pretty young person looking to become a system adminstrator in a few years. I havent started education program for that yet since i cant yet. My question is would it be possible for a person like me to learn how to do the job so well that i could practicly work as an system admin without ever having done the education program? Not that i want to do the job but i i just want to learn how to do it so i am ready and ahead of athors whenever i do start the education in a year or 2.
>>
>>58159414
There's no such thing as 'sysadmin' anymore, they are called "Site Reliability Engineers" because we cloud bullshit now.

You want:
- K&R
- The Unix Programming Environment (old book, teaches you awk/sed/grep yes this is still used)
- The Go Programming Language by Kernigham because all 'SRE' is done in Golang now
- Go on libgen.io and get any Devops book, there's plenty of recent ones.
- Get Google's "Site Reliability Engineering" book that just came out a few months ago.

Everything is Heroku, AWS (garbage), ect cloud based bullshit so stringing together Ubuntu Servers for the most part, running Docker images, running Kubernetes to string together images, shit like NixOS or GuixSD so you can have predictable builds on a server and do rollbacks, ect.

Start with NoStarchPress books on Linux
https://www.nostarch.com/howlinuxworks2

Then do Zed Shaw's Python the Hard way (free)
https://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Then get K&R (libgen.io)
Then get The Unix Programming Environment
Then get The Go Programming Language (gopl.io)
Then get Devops books, Docker books, Google's SRE book.

Congrat's you're SRE (hint, apply to compose.io)
>>
>>58159468
Hey thanks for the informative comply but you left me a bit confused. So i should start with the howlinuxworks2 and follow all the chapters till done and then zed shaws python? and get those athor thing u listed under there and learn from those. And are u sure there is no such thing as a system admin no more? The education program i want to sign up for is called system administrator and Site Reliability Engineers just seems much different. But then again im a retard at this so please correct me on anything i say wrong.
>>
>>58159530
Yes you should do exactly that. Load up a VM, install Debian or Ubuntu server and read that book (libgen.io is your friend, all free).

There are a few sysadmins still left around but they expect you to know systems level programming esp Python and Golang. You can learn this. K&R = The C Programming Language Second Edition by Kernighan and Ritchie. Zed Shaw's python book assumes you know nothing
>>
>>58159557
>>58159530
The DevOps book I have is Viktor Farcic-The DevOps 2.0 Toolkit http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=3F41E062912E8648EB4D9BD0AA5FD9AA

Google's SRE book is awesome, but broad it expects you to know fundamentals of Ganoo Linnux http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=BE84812CCC4BCF9DBD6B7880B3465962
>>
>>58159557
Alrigth so heres what i will do:

Get vmware
Install ubuntu and then linux.
Follow all steps in the howtolinux2,
Follow all steps in the zed shaws book to leern python coding.
But from that point im a bit confused.
I dont really know what libgen.io is or the athor 3 things that you mentioned and the libgen.io link doesnt even work.
>>
>>58159414
not sure sys admin means what it use to, that's what I am at my job though, usually its companies too small for multiple IT people, but too big to just call for little stuff or to fix a random printer/pc. I got lucky and did a basically paid internship for a company (around 500 PCs) and now work for a company with around 100, but yeah, no school, just what I learned at the first job, 5 years experience talks more than a school I guess (plus now I have like 13 years)
>>
>>58159621
libgen.io is Library Genesis. It's a pirate site clearing house of academic textbooks. Here's the official video of it: https://youtu.be/TsQiLjdsIWY

Yes, that guy is straight out of Revenge of the Nerds.
>>
File: DM.png (785KB, 653x816px) Image search: [Google]
DM.png
785KB, 653x816px
ignore all the bad advice in this thread
you'll have to climb the ladder like everyone else and learn along the way.

things you should look into are setting up an active directory domain. managing group policy. learning about the FSMOs. get comfortable with vmware or hyper v.
VDIs are still popular. Like citrix or rds
On the Linux side youll want to learn red hat / centos basics. also virtualization like overt
On the cloud side youll need to learn AWS or Azure basics.

Obviously you wont learn it all. You typically learn whatever your business needs you to.

Literally just look into into courses
>>
>>58159414
They guy in your picture is some useless middle manager, not a sys admin. He choose to stand in the hot asile rather than the cold asile because he never spends time in a data center. Also he should be fired for not giving data center ops enough monies to buy blanking panels to help keep the air flow seperated.
>>
>>58159468
>There's no such thing as 'sysadmin' anymore, they are called "Site Reliability Engineers" because we cloud bullshit now.

Yes.

I was a Unix systems administrator from 1996 until a few years ago. This job is going away as things move to the cloud.

Here's your best bet:

If you have supportive parents with money, go to college four years and learn computer science.

If things are more rocky...learn Windows really well, the stuff in A+ and MCSE books and exams. Learn that stuff back and forth. Apply to work as a desktop support engineer. Going to desks if needed, answering phones whatever. Make money and get a little experience that way.

Then take night/weekend school at the local public college and learn computer science. Being a programmer is your best bet. Maybe a database administrator, or devops or something. But 20 years from now, companies will need good programmers.

If you get a job doing Windows desktop/phone support, and are not taking at least one night/weekend class a semester at the local public college - you're a fool. You will be a sorry person when you turn 40, never mind 50.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.