[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

if I was updating today to a new computer and buy a kit of 2x16GB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

if I was updating today to a new computer and buy a kit of 2x16GB so I could be able to still add in another 2x16GB down the line to have 64GB of ram max the MOBO would support (maybe in the future you would need it)... and I buy 2 years later the other 2x16GB... could I run into problems just because it's not the same batch?
It's like 290€ for 2x16GB right now so I can't buy 64 at once.
>>
>>58158726
>could I run into problems just because it's not the same batch?
If it is the exact same kit there shouldn't be a problem. Mobos and memory controllers can be finicky with RAM support. Some setups won't care if you have totally different DIMMs, they'll just all default to the lowest common clocks and CAS timings. Other boards won't even post if you have a dual rank DIMM in one slot with single rank DIMMs in another.
Memory vendors tend to sell certified kits in these configurations for that reason.

You'll most likely be fine, but problems definitely can arise. Memory vendors tend to have really good customer support though since RAM is actually laughably cheap to produce. Its no skin off their back to send you four brand new matching DIMMs if need be. They usually have a lifetime guarantee too.
>>
>>58158890
so u think I can get 8 gigs of matching ddr2 gskill for my problem here?

>>58152067

assuming the problem is the different batchs... because im running out of things to test
>>
>>58158969
Sounds like you're running into a pretty typical error with unlike DIMMs. If you got matching DIMMs it should post and boot just fine.
>>
>>58158726
Why 64GB? Maybe settle with X99 if you need such amounts of RAM. RAM doesn't evolve that fast anymore, you can still use 8 GB for gaming today, more is not needed if you are not into intense photoshop/editing/VMs/servers.
>>
>>58158993
but why i can run fine in dual channel in both slots with both kits but not at the same time? aren't dual channels separate from each other? (slot 1 to 3 = 1 dual channel (slot 2 and 4 = 1 dual channel)
>>
>>58159081
i meant

slot 1+3= dual
slot 2+4=dual

problem comes when i run it all at the same time
>>
>>58159081
>>58159091
There are too many nuances to various memory controllers to even catalog them all in one place. It could be that populating all DIMM slots is just enough to make the IMC shit the bed with dissimilar DIMMs, even if two dissimilar ones work in dual channel.
I had a work system with 2GB of 533mhz DDR2 and 2GB of 600mhz DDR2. Both were defaulting to 533mhz, but the CAS timings were slightly off. The system wouldn't post if I rearranged the DIMMs at all, but it would work fine and be stable if I kept them in certain slots.
They're quirky things.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.