[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> be me > work at a startup > rails backend (shocker!)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: logo.png (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
11KB, 400x400px
> be me
> work at a startup
> rails backend (shocker!)
> some other langs in there
> trying to migrate straight jquery to Vue or React

how fucked are we?
> i actually like Vue quite a bit, and despise jquery
> front end team is "ok" (have some people that know nothing, others are legit)
> server side rails team is actually pretty solid
>>
>>58145856
Ruby a shit, but Vue is pretty comfy.

But yeah, you're probably fucked.
>>
>>58145869
OP here

note: I "think" we'll be ok with Rails. strong team BUT... we don't do anything requiring a lot of computing power

personal opinion is that the front end is going to turn into this mutant jquery vue js webpack nonsensical thing that literally stops us from taking on new hires because nobody can fucking understand the front end except like 3 people
>>
Vue.js is good I've used it for web apps and web frontends before.
>>
File: 1479279478110_0.png (99KB, 447x275px) Image search: [Google]
1479279478110_0.png
99KB, 447x275px
>>58145856
> Working for a start-up
> Idiot Chinese API guy fucks up while migrating between servers and data is lost.
> Worse, now the Android app is crashing because the URLs for some pictures aren't valid.
> Have to fix it

Just kill me already...
>>
>>58146007
the reason i believe you is shitty startups hire foreigners because they're cheap but will work 100 hours/week for that visa
>>
>>58145856
is there a reason people use javascript frameworks other than for cross-browser compatibility and incompetence?
>>
Unless you guys have a real reason to be moving to Vue or React then you're totally fucked, because it sounds like you guys are just using meme languages that seem cool.
There's nothing really wrong with a rails backend depending on what you're doing, but shifting jquery stuff over to some other framework without a solid reason is dumb
>>
>>58146038
i can only speak for Vue (as I use it heavily)

what's nice about it, from my standpoint, is i actually get to manipulate DATA, not having to set listeners, then parse a string, then figure out what it is just gets annoying

i guess "ease of use" with components is nicer than building it all by hand
>>
>>58146038
It's really really fast, relatively lightweight, and you can do a shitload of stuff with it due to the retarded number of libraries it has.

That and everybody just knows it, so the default decision is to use frameworks in javascript.
>>
>>58146042
fair points

we DO have legit reasons in that
1 - front end still in debt from initial 2 years of existence
2 - Vue / React and its 2-way data binding is something we will definitely be taking advantage of
3 - Components, even simple ones (sidebars, navs, modals) will benefit greatly

but you're right 100%... the shift and clearing out tickets JUST for that will ultimately blow donkey balls
>>
>>58146038
If you're doing anything non trivial using JavaScript (basically any interactive modern web page or app) its fast for this.
>>
>>58145856
It really all depends on your team. Rails, Vue and React are all fine. I prefer React over Vue since it has a much bigger community and good components are much easier to find, but Vue is very easy to learn and it has good documentation.
>>
>>58145892
If you want people to understand it, make it all in Java. I wish I was kidding. Newbies will understand it.
>>
>>58145892
One nice thing about Vue is that you can just include it with Sprockets since it's just a single file and you're already using Rails. That way you don't need to setup webpack or any other extra Javascript build system.
>>
>>58145856
How big is the webapp? How much time do you have? How much people do you have to train? Do you use any weird jquery dependant third party library (animate, forms, etc)?

I did something like this sometime ago, jquery to React. The biggest issue was the need to refactor all the third party libraries, specially animations, form validation was complete rewritten but it wasn't that complicated, but it can be done.

Training was hard, I had people writing "production" React components 2 days after introducing them to the concept. But they did well in the end.

For the jquery salvaging part, I did a map to all the AJAX calls and form POSTing jquery did (maybe your team already has this in order if they are not retards like mine) and define the components that will contain each.

Then we defined what visual components you are going to have in the webapp, and as soon as that was ready we salvage all the CSS Sass or Less from the original app (this can take a long time to refactor and it won't be perfect. Also if you used some bs like Bootstrap or other weird CSS+jquery framework, may God have mercy on your soul).

Then it was just a matter of assembling the components and setting up routing (that was actually pretty easy) and set up Server side rendering on the server (we also used Rails (shocker)).

The final part was implementing all the bullshit jquery third parties, I did the animations with ReactCSSTransition, it was a pain but in the end it worked nicely, form validation also had to be rewritten from scratch instead of using a library, but that was pretty straightforward. I imagine if you used Bootstrap you would have to do similar stuff to implement responsiveness)

Today I would go with Vue, and do the same but with Vue Components, just because it's easier to train people on Vue than in React.

Good Luck anon!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.