[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright boys, redpill me on *BSD gimme the basics, some pros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1476564114729.jpg (88KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1476564114729.jpg
88KB, 300x400px
alright boys, redpill me on *BSD
gimme the basics, some pros and cons
ive been usin arch for a few years so how difficult would the change be?
>>
>>58135160
BSDs are not difficult. They aren't just worth over Linux.

Go install a FreeBSD distro and compare it with a Linux one. You will see how polished Linux has become.
>>
more like PeeSD
nobody uses it it's like the Linux of OS'es
>>
>>58135160
The change is fairly straightforward on the surface, more complex on the back side of things.
>>58135510
>FreeBSD distro
>taken seriously
pick one
>>58135535
It's nothing like GNU/Linux when it comes to details. The FreeBSD kernel and the Linux kernel have virtually nothing in common. That's why FreeBSD pushes ~5Mpps, while Linux dies at 1Mpps.
>>
>>58135965
What does 5/1Mpps mean?
>>
>>58135160
Lack of software.
>>
>>58135510
They are difficult though, because the vast majority of the software ecosystem is written on/for linux and so the actual support you get is an afterthought. FreeBSD constantly lags behind in what packages are available, and it's a herculean effort to bring the latest major software packages over. Other times things just don't work at all because nobody has ever cared to run this on BSD.
It's just making way more problems for yourself, you have to strongly want to use it for some ideological reason.
>>
If you're used to Linux things may seem somewhat different but functionally they're quite similar. BSDs tend to be more hands on in how they work, usually configuration is done through plaintext files, the community encourages people to read the documentation and at least attempt to contribute patches before demanding functionality. BSDs tend to strictly enforce coding standards and tightly control who can contribute upstream. BSD devs prefer simpler applications and solutions to keep the base system easier to maintain.

They're different philosophies but the end result isn't too different.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.