[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats a quality distro for a newb with no experience with Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: g1J5Pir3_400x400.jpg (15KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
g1J5Pir3_400x400.jpg
15KB, 264x264px
Whats a quality distro for a newb with no experience with Linux to start out with?
>>
>>58127737
>>/sqt/
>>/flgt/
>>>/wsr/

the answer is ubuntu or kubuntu
>>
GNU/Gentoo
>>
>>58127737
Debian
>>
>>58127737
ubuntu, mint (ubuntu that looks like windows), elementary (ubuntu that looks like osx), and solus (good) are all choices
>>
>>58127737
Linuxlite was my first distro. I simply installed it and got used to it on-the-fly.
>>
Any good resources for Linux newbies, like lists of the most commonly used commands? helpful packages? Explanation of things in general?
>>
>>58127737
Ubuntu is the only correct answer. Most tutorials you find will use Ubuntu, making the whole learning process much easier.
>>
>>58127898
https://www.amazon.com/Linux-Pocket-Guide-Essential-Commands/dp/1491927577/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482448666&sr=1-1&keywords=linux+pocket+guide
>>
The thing I like about distros aimed at newbies or people attempting to migrate from Windows is how easy they are to install and get running.

It's not until you go to actually do anything that you figure out it's going to take you 6 months to learn how to actually do any tasks on this shit.

It's kind of like dating a smoking hot religious girl. On the surface she's fantastic, but as soon as you try to do anything you find out you're going to have to make a huge commitment in order to get anywhere.
>>
>>58128165

Sorry, did I say like? I meant hate. This is what I hate about Linux.
>>
>>58127737
>>58127898
>>58128185
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58128165
>>58128185

The thing the *nix community doesn't get that if you make it easy to install, you have to make it easy to use too. This is what separates you from Google and Apple. This is why their *nix products are on a billion devices and Linux never made any serious inroads in the desktop market. Everyone is so busy making their own distro so they can feel important that no one could actually cooperate on the level required to make USING Linux as easy as installing Linux.
>>
>>58127737
Go with Ubuntu.
Don't listen to any of these tards talking like ubuntu and kubuntu are different distros. They are all the same thing built from the same repos. Pick one of the ubuntu flavors that you think you like and install all of the DEs on it and try them all out and find out which one you like the best.
>>
File: UBUNTU.png (20KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
UBUNTU.png
20KB, 600x600px
>>58127737
Just do it newfag
>>
>>58128165
>It's not until you go to actually do anything that you figure out it's going to take you 6 months to learn how to actually do any tasks on this shit.

What the fuck are you talking about? Maybe I'm biased because Mint is based as fuck, but the only thing slightly more difficult to get done on Linux than on Windows is installing programs because you can't just double-click an install exe, you gotta chmod that shit and such, and Linux apps are more rare than Windows apps.
>>
>>58128320
xubuntu. ubuntu has a retarded gui.
>>
>>58128345
Whatever *buntu the newfag fucking wants
>>
>>58128307
Yeah, one of those has KDE. And while I friggin HATE the ubuntu gui, its a FUCKTON better than KDE.

Or, I don't know, just use xubuntu and get XFCE
>>
>>58128357
You keep saying "newfag" - You do realize that using that term negatively says more about you than them right?

I was around before even "oldfags" were "newfags", and it was just as stupid a faux elites blunder then as it is now.
>>
File: Desktop 1_037.png (186KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Desktop 1_037.png
186KB, 1366x768px
>>58128360
>Yeah, one of those has KDE. And while I friggin HATE the ubuntu gui, its a FUCKTON better than KDE

Pic related. There are lots of things that KDE can do that are pretty cool that might not be obvious at first and is a different paradigm than the traditional desktops. Setting up hotcorners and virtual desktops more specifically. What I do is top left corner shows all desktops, I usually do six. Top right shows all programs open in a cluster. Bottom left kicks up the menu and bottom right shows desktop. And auto hide the system bar of course.

Just thought that maybe you hadn't thought about it like that. GNOME takes a similar way of thinking but once you wrap your head around it it's pretty nice.
>>
File: Desktop 1_038.png (254KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Desktop 1_038.png
254KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>58128410
le oldfag is mad.
>>
>>58127737
Ubuntu
>>
Any emulators work on Linux?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.