[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to write my own encrypted messaging app(something similar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: network_security.png (230KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
network_security.png
230KB, 370x370px
I want to write my own encrypted messaging app(something similar to signal and whatsapp). I have a little programming experience but nothing major. How long should this take?
>>
This question is way too technical for /g/. If it's not gaymen or shilling your prefered smartphone this board is essentially useless.
>>
>>58125610
His question is too fucking ambiguous for even the smartest engineer on earth.
"How long should this take?"
Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
There are books written about project schedule estimation, companies spend millions and years in order to improve their time estimation accuracy.
And you think that someone could answer OP?
Asking how long is a software project going to take is probably the hardest question when it comes to software engineering.

And guess what, at the initial stage of a project, even the best companies understand they can be wrong by a factor of 2. And that's with all the system requirements taken care of.

And OP is asking how "an encrypted messaging app(something similar to signal and whatsapp)" is going to take? Seriously? Never mind the fact that one of the best cryptographers on earth did both Signal and WhatsApp's encryption.

Jesus you're an absolute retard. Fuck off.
>>
File: 1481216557916.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1481216557916.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>58125714
>>
>>58125097
Making an application can be difficult, especially for something this vast. You should start off with researching your user base, for example; Signal's user base is Android, so you should target Android users.

The next thing is to learn how an Android application is developed, so you go to Google and find the documentation for the Android SDK. Once you do that and download the SDK, you should start learning the Java language (because Android uses Java - of course).

You will spend quite a lot of your time developing the application and the services that run around the messenger (such as the web server, but you could always make a messenger that runs on the SMS protocol, but that would be expensive for the end user and not to mention, the cryptography of the messenger would be flawed since most mobile operators and governments have ways of intercepting cellular communications).

Once you have developed the application, tweaked the services that run around the messenger, you will need to decide on an encryption protocol. While it may be tempting to use your own 'home-grown crypto' it will certainly not be secure, so, stick to well known protocols such as AES.

After you've done that, done the branding, countless hours of developing, public testing, and spent $$$$ and press/media stuff (if you do get any) then you can call your application a 'messenger'.
>>
File: 1482345810844.jpg (138KB, 1079x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1482345810844.jpg
138KB, 1079x1031px
>>58125714
>>
>>58125949
Wow this is an excellent response to a pretty retarded question. I'm glad this didn't trigger your autism like the previous anon.
>>
>>58125097
The messaging app market is already over saturated.
>>
fuck off to another career field
>>
>>58125097
There's already a messenger app where you share pgp keys via moving your phone's camera over the other person's phone.
>>
>>58125097
Just hire people and sell their work.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.