[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, I'm taking my first Computer Science class next semester.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1477958675891.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1477958675891.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
Ok, I'm taking my first Computer Science class next semester. If I get a CS degree at an okay University, with internships along the way, what are my chances of securing a job in Michigan. (Plz help my mom will end my life if I don't have a job by the time i'm out, I switched from Pharmacy)
>>
File: _2_.png (780KB, 805x569px) Image search: [Google]
_2_.png
780KB, 805x569px
>>58117095
If you're not complete garbage it's very easy to secure a job as there is not enough people in this field for what the market asks.
>>
>>58117095
Honestly, from what I understand you just have to be above average and you will have great prospects. So many people make it through CS with C's, and in my mind, that's fucking pathetic.
>>
>>58117218
If I work hard enough I can for sure land some decent grades, but it's all about skill isn't it?

Apparently my University has some really shitty pajeets and chinks teaching labs and that worries me
>>
>>58117243
Tbh if you don't find work easily in your state just look elsewhere. I've never been asked for my grades, only for a copy of my diploma. There's such a lack of people you don't even need to be good at negotiations to get a good salary.
>>
>>58117243
>Apparently my University has some really shitty pajeets and chinks teaching labs and that worries me

That's par for the course. Just code as much as you can. Learn to study from a textbook. Most of your professors and TAs will be useless.
>>
>>58117243
>pajeets and chinks teaching labs and that worries me
don't go you Uni in that case. You're probably uber redpilled by the sound of it. Don't demean yourself or your race by learning from shitskins. Just be a clerk at the supermarket and bide your time for the day of the rope to come. ;^)
>>
>>58117401
really makes u think
>>
>>58117243

That basically how it is everywhere.

Doing well in comp sci isn't about just going to class/doing assignments/studying, you gotta do extra shit on top of everything else. Do weekend projects/git stuff/etc etc etc, if you do this you will encounter problems/solutions to those problems that will take you beyond the scope of your coursework, easily propelling you to the top of your class.

Like >>58117380 said, self-learning is a huge skill that you can develop. It's gonna be rough as shit in some classes though. In some of my classes I couldn't even understand my fucking professors because the accent was so thick. Didn't stop me from getting 90+ in almost every class (got a few 80s).

TAs are almost universally shit-tier. They're smart enough that they realize that they need to do something outside of just getting their degree to have decent job prospects, but they're shit enough that they couldn't get into a research program or an internship in their spare time.
>>
File: 1479622236099.jpg (148KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1479622236099.jpg
148KB, 900x675px
>>58117179
>>58117218
>>58117346

I thought CS fields in the US were oversaturated with workers?

I have 1.5 years left at an okay university. I have a 3.5 GPA and multiple personal projects, what are the chances that I can land a job on the west coast? Is software engineering as competitive as everyone says it is?
>>
>>58117623
Well CA is a different animal. Of course big corps like MS, GOOG and AAPL are harder to get into, but that's entirely artificial to be beneficial to them. If we talk US-wide, it's not saturated.
>>
>>58117587
alright then thanks. I'll work hard, I could barely keep any interest in Pharmacy prerequisite material, that shit sucked and I had no motivation to do Pharma.
>>
>>58117095
>>58117623
ayy lmao a buddy of mine (both of us physic majors) just got a job there working in software.

You're fine. The market is saturated with shitty workers, just be good and you are fine.
>>
>>58117623
>I thought CS fields in the US were oversaturated with workers?
It's oversaturated, don't come here, you'll be replaced by pajeet who works for half of what you do.
>>
>>58117095
OP, have you considered double majoring?
It's max effort and life sucks but you have more knowledge than most graduates.
Topped off with internships and personal work it's a nice guarantee.
>>
>>58117095
GL bro, if you want a python bro, you can respond
>>
>>58117950
I took a bunch of chem classes, should I minor in chem?
>>
>>58117993
sure would like that, Steam: Paragradient

I haven't started coding much yet though
>>
>>58117999
Every university and college is different, mine is shit so I am double majoring with CS and Business(Marketing). Depending on the requirements and your will, you could graduate with only 4 years of college. A minor is something is better than nothing. On the other hand is you.
If you can handle the load with everything else that is suggested then do it.
Only drawback of a W (grade for withdrawn) is when you try to transfer).

Best of luck, OP. Everyone needs it.
>>
>>58118127
I had two withdrawals this semester. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again, but those were Pharm prereqs, and to be fair I hate chemistry, but I wouldn't mind taking a couple extra courses if it meant another degree
>>
>>58118199
Talk to your adviser, (nobody listens to this but they should).
Find out which minor or major is closest to CS.
E.g. in my shitty uni, Only difference between Marketing and Banking is 18 to 21 credit hours, which is one semester.

Know this first before a large decision.
>>
>>58117095
18+ and you should've stayed in Pharmacy
>>
>>58117095
Ford heavily recruits in the state - you should check out their IT and software engineer jobs.
>>
>>58118012
Should start
>>
>>58118237
fuck off i'm 19
>>
i have 16 years of advantage on you

you're to late to the party
>>
>>58118545
lol yeah right
>>
>>58117623
ultra competitive, but not oversaturated

Depends on what you want to do, I'm doing applied computing and going into cyber security
>>
>>58118237
>should've stayed in pharmacy
Why?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.