[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people in subhuman countries use this shitty app? What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 21

File: whatsapp-promo.png (58KB, 948x498px) Image search: [Google]
whatsapp-promo.png
58KB, 948x498px
Why do people in subhuman countries use this shitty app? What's so hard about using talk and text like regular human beings?
>>
Telegram FTW
>>
>>58115441
Only americans still use SMS.

Whatsapp is better in every single way, you dont even have to pay.
>>
>paying to message
>>
How the fuck do people live without having group chats for everything?

They are so useful.

I have one for each class in my uni, where we a constantly sharing class notes, etc, I have one for each of group of friends I have and we are constantly sharing news, pics, videos, etc

I cant even remember how my used to be before whatsapp.
>>
>>58115532
>>58115555
>not having messaging included for free in your plan
>>
>>58115441
'Murricans (or wannabe 'murricans)
>>
>>58115610
>paying monthly for plans still of being prepaid
>>
>>58115610
It is not free retard, you paid for it.

WhatsApp uses very little data that you would have to pay for anyways.
>>
>>58115606
I just use slack desu
>>
Literally everyone in the world except Anglos use whatsapp. They're too technologically illiterate to know there's a messaging app which you can use to message/call/videocall anyone in the world and is compatible with every mobile device so they continue to use outdated garbage like SMS or proprietary garbage like iMessage.

They're also too technologically illiterate to know there's web browsers beside Internet Explorer (pic related).
>>
Brit here, Whatsapp is okay, but telegram is vastly better.
>>
>>58115610
>for free
It's not for free, there's (maybe hidden) fee that you're paying to get unlimited messages.
>>
>>58115620
Get raped and kill yourself you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.
>>
>>58115652
No, it's not. They say it's free but the price is included even in the more basic packages, you stupid animal. Nothing is simply for free. Not even WhatsApp, you just don't pay with actual money.
>>
Let's get this over with

Signal > Telegram > Kakao > Whatsapp > Line
>>
>>58115641
/thread
>>
>>58115610
>paying for a plan with sms
>not just using wifi
>>
>>58115441
have you even used whatsapp? its a lot easier and aesthetically pleasing to message people in an app than to use sms which just feels depressing.
>>
>>58115712
>Signal
No web client?
No PC client?
No message timeout?
Shit all for APIs?
>>
File: IMG-20160919-WA000011.jpg (140KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160919-WA000011.jpg
140KB, 750x750px
>>58115441
whatsapp is pretty based, use it to talk to my mexifriends
>>
>>58115839
Yeah but it's the only one with an encryption that has been properly audited as far as I know.
>>
>>58115839
>>58115867
Yep, knew it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/23/homebrew_crypto_in_telegram_app/

Meanwhile Signal

https://threatpost.com/signal-audit-reveals-protocol-cryptographically-sound/121892/
https://www.cyberscoop.com/signal-security-audit-encryption-facebook-messenger-whatsapp/

If you think a few conveniences are worth having an encryption so full of holes it might as well not be there, go ahead use Telegram.
>>
>>58115867
https://core.telegram.org/mtproto
they'll pay you to break it... Go ahead.
>>
>>58115610
Are international texts free on plans in the USA?
>>
>>58115641
>Except anglos

That's why I included the 'people from subhuman countries' bit.
>>
Because we don't have unlimited text
>>
>>58115441
Because I live in America but have family in France and Germany. My cellular plan does not include unlimited international, and going with a plan that does include that would be almost 200 USD a month for me and my wife. So we just use WhatsApp over WLAN to communicate with family.
>>
>>58115908
>they'll pay you to break it... Go ahead.
And to keep silent, I'm sure. I don't know shit about cryptography, if you don't care about audits saying it's vulnerable it's not my problem.
>>
>>58115441
Nice story, caveman.
>>
File: 1478676380184.png (249KB, 1063x757px) Image search: [Google]
1478676380184.png
249KB, 1063x757px
>>58115957
>huehue/eurabian WA user calling anyone 'caveman'
>>
I love having to juggle 50 superficially distinct pieces of software to do one job! Email is soooooo 2000.
>>
The real question is why doesn't the whole world use it?
>free as in free beer
>no ads
>end to end encryption
>file sharing (pictures, videos, instant recordings, documents)
>location sharing
>group chat
>voice messages
>live calls and videocalls
>web client
>no need for an account or any data other than your phone number
>offline message archive

What's not to like?
>>
>>58116086
lack of API?
>>
Holy fuck is was LITERALLY just about to make a thread asking why Whatsapp is so popular.

I don't really get this thing. It doesn't seem to be like Kik where people contact random people and use it mainly for sexting and sending nudes to each other. It's like, for people who legitimately know each other.

So if people know each other and are friends, why do they need to be using an app that uses a fake phone number? Is it really just to save money so all their friends have to have the fake phone number as well?

I'm in America BTW
>>
>>58116132
Why would you use a fake phone number?
>>
>>58116154
dont you have to create a different phone number for whatsapp? you cant use your own right?
>>
I wish google hangout were more popular.

If I have to use botnet I would like to use one botnet that is forced with my phone os instead of additional fb and whatsap botnets
>>
wait amerilards still use SMSs? hahah literal lel
>>
>>58116172
they're pretty much killing it off in favour of Allo, and what ever the other one is called...
>>
>>58115610
Most providers have sms for free in the Netherlands.
Still no one uses it.
>using outdated technology
>smartphone
>>
>>58116163
No, you use your own phone number which makes it even more pointless. This thread is full of poors trying to justify why they can't pay for a monthly call and text package and have to use some ghetto app used by huehues and nigs while connected to McDonalds wifi
>>
ITT: insecure amerilards
>>
>>58115922
No. Pisses off my girlfriend and myself too.
>>
>>58116217
well that makes sense considering your hands are doing the texting
>>
>>58115610
only americunts use sms, and only because they get it for free.
I have a 2000 sms limit but I have unlimited 4G data.
Even if you don't have unlimited data, most countries charge for sms or have charged at some point for them and nobody use that.
>>
The only thing I needed to know about Whatsapp to know not to use it is that ISIS recruited using it. Fuck off euros
>>
>>58116163
Of course you can, that's the whole point. To send messages and make calls through wifi, for free.
>>
>>58115532
>free products are so cool bro

You are bought and sold like cattle
>>
>>58116238
I heard ISIS terrorists buy tickets to comercial air flights too. Go figure.
>>
I think it makes sense that it's more popular in Europe because their phone plans are probably really expensive, like most things are there.
>>
Since Americans get free SMS, do they also get SMS advertisement?
>>
File: Thumbs-Up.jpg (3MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs-Up.jpg
3MB, 3072x2048px
>>58116217
Start using WhatsApp.
>>
>>58116291
>no reading comprehension
you are going out of your way to prove that you are retarded.
>>
>>58115628
My plan is prepaid
>>58115672
Nope. No fee.
>>
>>58115988
>You can tell that I'm a sophisticated intellectual because I post anime children
Yeah it's even more of a caveman now.
>>
Amerinig here, use SMS the most because it's unlimited, unlike my data plan, and I can send and receive them without having mobile data or WiFi on. Otherwise, I use Wire.
>>
File: 505050.jpg (46KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
505050.jpg
46KB, 640x478px
>>58116132
How do you do groups with text messages? Like that other guy said, we also have a group for our class with 30 people where people can ask about school stuff, send documents, talk about whatever. Another group for the people in our school project group, groups with other friends of mine. Works on phones and computers, it's like a bunch of IRC channels you can keep with you. It's just convenient, I was surprised Americans don't use it and I don't see why you wouldn't
>>
>>58116292
Aren't your phone plans like a hundred dollars a month, is what I always see people posting. Ours are like ten shekels a month with uncapped internet
>>
>>58115441
Supermensch don't engsge I'm illegal activities.
>>
Most people where i live just use kik for group chats. Most people have whatsapp and don't use it. Normies don't care about encryption because they don't care about muh nsa. People who do use telegram
>>
>>58115606
GroupMe is very popular at my university. Most people use the app but it also works for group chats through regular SMS.
>>
Apple iPhone doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>58116932
Also keep on mind most apple cucks use imessage.
>>
>>58115664
Telegram feels slow and buggy.
>>
>>58115686
'Murrican or wannabe 'murrican
>>
At least I've never used that filthy blackberry in my life.
>>
>>58115441
>subhuman
Nice edgy /pol/ buzzword buddy.
>>
>>58115531
Telegram has shit homebrew encryption. WhatsApp had its encryption developed by Moxie. If you aren't going to use Signal, use WhatsApp.
>>58115532
>Only americans still use SMS.
Americans actually use iMessage, though they don't realize it.
>>
>>58116086
>free as in free beer
>no ads
How do they make money?
>>
>>58116889
This. SMS is garbage, this is all a ruse right
>>
>>58115441
whatsapp is literally the only app on my smartphone that i like. it's well-designed.

i never understood how it never caught on in america. i think the american normies use mobile facebook way more than here and chat through that.
>>
>>58116231
subtle roast
>>
>>58115441
my phone plan comes with unlimited texts whether I like it or not. see no reason to get whatsapp. my messaging app works perfectly fine
>>
>>58115441

Depends on the country mate. In Australia you would get a billion free SMS with any plan so people would just use that.

In my new country every message is roughly 5cents. Whereas LINE is free and more feature rich anyway.

I am glad my country does not use the Facebook owned whatsapp though.
>>
>>58117226
>every message is roughly 5cents
What fucking country is that? Japan?
>>
>>58117129
Facebook owns them now. Do the math.
>>
>>58117129
they sell your data
>>
>>58116932
Genuine question: what the fuck are you guys sending to each other that needs to be encrypted? This isn't a troll, I'm completely serious. Like for me my phone has to be encrypted because I work at a hospital with patient info, etc. But like what the fuck are you guys sending/receiving that's so sensitive?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467321808917.jpg (42KB, 1316x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467321808917.jpg
42KB, 1316x960px
>>58115441
>Murica can't into chip and pin
>Murica can't into contactless payment
>Murica can't into paym (transferring money into someone's account using just your mobile numbers)
>Not even entirely sure Muricans can even transfer money using just a banking app?
>Muricans can't into proper texting apps and insist dinosaur standard SMS is perfect

Yep, every other nation is subhuman apart from yours Murica. You guys are evidently leading the rest of the world when it comes to technology. You keep believing that.
>>
>>58117291

Thailand. 2Baht/message depending on your carrier.

Everybody used to use BBM now they use LINE.
>>
>>58115927
But anglos are subhuman.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>
>>58117344
The payment stuff is because Americans co-created and widely adopted the earlier payment technologies. By the time chip and pin, contactless and mobile payments became viable around standard credit cards were entrenched as fuck.
>>
>>58117344
Also forgot to mention how Muricans are cucked beyond belief by their ISPs with capped download limits. The ISP monopoly there is fucking terrifying.
>>
>>58117439
Well you niggers need to git gud then. I don't think you guys can even comprehend just how backwards it is to swipe cards. Literally African tier.
>>
The only thing I would like whatsapp to have is sending uncompressed files and images
>>
>>58116202
because some people have friends/family in other countries and calling over wifi is comfy/free. why are you so mad at people trying to save money?
>>
>>58115712
More like
Wire>>>>>> Signal > Telegram > Kakao > Whatsapp > Line
>>
i use it to talk to my mail order brides out of country. pretty based app.
>>
>>58118088
>Wire
What's good about it?
>>
>>58118188
>End to end encryption
>Open source
>Available everywhere (linux,web,android,iOS, etc)
>No phone number required
>You can text,voice or video call
>group chat
>group voice,video up to 5
>The sound is fucking clear
And beautiful UI, also a lot of things that make the best
the only downside, no one actually use it
but I made my family and friends to use and so far, they're happy about it.
>>
>>58118254
If you value encryption, how can you say
>Telegram > WhatsApp
>Kakao > WhatsApp
?
>>
>>58118279
I didn't, I just paste what previously mentioned by other anon, though his arrangement criteria may not based on encryption.
>>
>>58118357
My criteria was mostly based on encryption and then on features, design, etc. because I thought Signal was the only one that properly encrypted messages. I didn't know WhatsApp's encryption was better than Telegram's and made by Moxie, so that makes it a much better choice than I originally thought. Don't know about Wire.
>>
>>58116292
I don't know what you consider expensive but I pay 25€ a month and get unlimited texts, calls and 4G
>>
>>58118254
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2855745/new-communications-app-wire-tones-down-encryption-claims.html

>But Wire can also be used for sharing photos, links, and text—all of which does not use end-to-end encryption. Instead, text and media are encrypted between a device and Wire’s servers, meaning the company could theoretically decrypt any message passing through its data center.

It has no end to end picture or text media encryption and you're calling it a good choice for privacy? This guy >>58118279 made me look more into WhatsApp's encryption and not only has it been developed by a really smart guy but they also do end-to-end for all media.
If you value privacy it's clear that WhatsApp is better than Wire.
>>
Mexican Legal alien here.

I work as an insurance seller, beliveme when i say to you that 70% of the sales and contact i have with customers is trough Whatsapp.

I know Telegram and signal are way better, but is what the tech illiterate use in all latin america. Theres people that use telegram and feel theyre l337. Im cucked with 6gb of data per month but i have unlimited calls, sms and radio based coms (nextel prip) sms is still big with many customers with dumb phones but i askem always to delete their sms (theres people that will send me their credit card info as sms no questions asked)

Ive never tried wire or signal. But telegram is used a lot in my uni by teachers to do group chats.
>>
>>58118559
>Telegram and signal are way better
Telegram isn't. As shown on this thread, WhatsApp's encyption protocol has been made by the guy who made Signal. Telegram shits the bed when audited, it's a meme that it's better than WhatsApp
>>
Sometimes when I text my brother, my texts don't reach him. I would trust Facebook messenger and WhatsApp more to reach him
>>
>>58118602
Yep. The way it's promoted on /g/ is a testament to the power of (selfish) memes.
>>
>>58118460
No.
>Dec/2014

check here
https://wire.com/privacy

> Text messages and pictures use Off-the-Record (OTR) end-to-end encryption. Wire uses the Axolotl ratchet and pre-keys which are optimized for mobile messaging.
Voice calls use the WebRTC standard. More precisely DTLS is used for key negotiation and authentication and SRTP is used for encrypted media transport. This means that voice calls are end-to-end encrypted with perfect forward secrecy enabled without compromising HD call quality.
>>
>>58118088
pretty sure wire has closed source server and collects metadata
>>
>>58118602
>>58118751
well its still better than whatsapp as in a [non-ideal-privacy] group/single persisitent assynchronous instant messenger since you have telegram outside of smartphones.

its basically todays ICQ

sure whatsapp is more "secure", but if youre just gonna use as a convenience for things you were gonna say over regular voice calls (or sms) for uni,work, and sales, convenience trumps bullet proof privacy.

anyway whatsapp is only theoretically secure, since you can sorta see its got libsignal in the binary, but do you really know what the client is doing?
what about the keys handling? even if you turn data off and scan each other qrcode-whatsapp-cryptkey, its still a closed binary holding your key and communicating with a server via closed procotols.

>>58118870
this, wire is NOT fLoss

but i guess its nicer than whatsapp or anything else proprietary to have an open client, even if they sell premium features that you cant bypass since the server is not open.

by the way, what kind of moron choses a single common noun as a software name, "windows" can always de accompained by version name or "O.S." but good luck branding an app named "app"
>>
>>58116086
It's owned by JewBook.
>>
>>58117344
>chip and pin
Stopped by "small businesses" because they didn't want to replace their 20 year old POS terminals

>contactless payment
Got me there. We fucked up the initial rollout by having always on chips embedded in physical cards.

>paym
We have Venmo, so we're getting there.

>banking app
We finally got there within the last two years. Only boomers still check their balance over the phone.

>proper texting apps
>dinosaur standard
Because SMS can be used on literally anything. I can send a text from my iPhone to my boomer mother's seven year old flip phone and ensure it's delivered without issue. There are people here who are adamant about not using a smartphone.
>>
>>58115641

>no legend.

Thanks for fucking nothing.
>>
>>58115531
>random 15min downtime
unacceptable
>>
>>58115636
not if using free wifi in your local caffe shop or if u live above them
>>
>>58115441
>Because SMS can be used on literally anything.
>literally anything
Can it be used on a banana? Or a fireplace? Or a duck? No?
Fuck you and your meme words.
>>
>>58115922
Yes
free data and text international
>>
File: fuck.jpg (54KB, 644x378px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
54KB, 644x378px
>>58119566
you're fighting a lost battle
>>
>>58115441
>THEY USE A SOFTWARE I DON'T LIKE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>58117400
>>58117428
They fell for the degeneracy meme, thanks Ezekiel.
>>
>>58115441
Because only immigrants who call other people immigrants pay for something they can get free
>>
>>58119736
what the fuck
>>
File: Browser_Market_Map_June_2015.svg.png (230KB, 1280x657px) Image search: [Google]
Browser_Market_Map_June_2015.svg.png
230KB, 1280x657px
>>58115641
>>
>>58116086
Why would I use a messaging app owned by Facebook?
>>
>>58119736
>Dumming down words for Americans
>>
File: 1356371575666.jpg (54KB, 630x862px) Image search: [Google]
1356371575666.jpg
54KB, 630x862px
>>58115441
I am with you oupie

Becuse only i have no friends ;_;

an advertisement sms once a time is nice
also my operator sends me a nice christmass/new year sms from time to me
>>
>>58115641
>or proprietary garbage like iMessage.
Why the fuck should I use WhatsApp then? When I use SMS all I need to know is someone's phone number. With WhatsApp I have to know their number AND they have to also be using WhatsApp.
>>
>>58119748
Making me install Whats or all the other shitty telephone apps in this thread because they're too cheap/poor to get a normal call and text plan is a perfectly valid reason to be mad, cuck.
>>
>>58115610
>international textmessages shit ton of buckeroni
>whatsapp for free

you focken domb m8
>>
>>58116132
Because it's literally better than texting in every single way
>>
>>58115441
Are you from a third world country where using data is expensive and capped?
>>
>get whatsapp
>every phone plan available doesn't charge data for this and other apps
>can make calls and chat for free
>can send images and videos for free
>can make group chat rooms for free

What more do you want?
>>
>>58120312
Are you from a third world country where SMS isn't unlimited?
>>
>>58120167
The point is that pretty much everybody these days have WhatsApp, even my parents use it
>>
>>58120346
So you want me to support a monopoly on communication?
>>
>>58120337
Nope, unlimited calls and text, WhatsApp has just so much more than SMS. SMS is simply just outdated. It's time to move on.

I noticed you didn't answer my question. Is data expensive and capped in the third world country you live in? For me it's 17,90€ for unlimited data (4G), texts and calls. How about you?

What's holding more modern alternatives back in the US?
>>
>>58120353
nah m8, use what you want. But if company provides a safe, private, chat app with nice performance and features, why should I not use it? For the sake of "muh monopoly"?
>>
>>58120167
Because SMS is much more limited, has a lot less features, is slower and unreliable, is more expensive especially cross borders and actually requires a non-dummy SIM card for active use. If SIM cards didn't give additional bandwidth when I'm out where no open wifi is available I wouldn't even use one.
You don't have to use whatsapp, there are better alternatives, but it's still better than plain SMS.

>Facebook messenger
No phone number needed. already used by 99.9% people.
>wire
No phone number needed. supports almost everything communication relevant fb messenger does and even includes a desktop client as well.

With whatsapp, wire, fb messenger and others you get free calls, texts, group chats, data sharing, video calls and group calls (on messenger and wire). It's absolutely better than normal calls and texts.

>>58120337
It's more likely to be unlimited in third world countries since they have much cheaper bandwidths and telecommunication services.

>>58120353
You don't have to limit yourself to whatsapp since there are dozens of popular alternatives. And besides, whatsapp is owned by Facebook which already has a monopoly as it's the most used social media. 90% people use Windows, which means Microsoft has a monopoly. Obviously monopolies are something most people don't care about.
>>
>>58115441
People don't get how they work. It's just icons they touch on the screen and it sends messages. They don't understand they use different means of communication, whether GSM, push, email, or 3rd party, and they don't really care.

You could spend literally an entire evening telling them that emails, on top of being decentralized and easy to secure can do everything their social networks do, they'll still use viber or snapchat because "the smileys are better".
>>
>text
>TEXT
Who the fuck uses this? Byte limits, fees, platform exclusivity - even fucking email is a better choice than this shit.
>>
can't do group chats on sms? shitty audio, video, image sharing?
>>
>>58115441
i dont know *crying emoji*
all my friend use this shitty app *crying emoji*
i want them to use Jabber/XMPP with OTR but they dont listen
>>
>>58116321
Someone answer this please
>>
>>58120386
this
>>
>>58120737
Stop being their friends. Why waste your time on fucking retards?
>>
File: sadfish.jpg (25KB, 336x320px) Image search: [Google]
sadfish.jpg
25KB, 336x320px
>Spend three hours looking through reviews of different messaging programs
>Realize it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if no one I talk to also uses the program
>Realize I don't really talk to anyone
>Realize I've spent 3 hours looking for a program I have no use for
>>
>>58120780
Wow you're a very stupid person
>>
>>58115441
Whatsapp is GOAT.

Sharing a picture or video through a MMS is huge pain in the ass and I never made it work flawlessly. Enjoy your compressed as fuck image, if you somehow manage to receive it.

SMS/MMS are dinosaur techs and should be replaced with a more suitable standard
>>
I agree, but Whatsapp compresses media too. I wish it didn't.
>>
File: thread.gif (975KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
thread.gif
975KB, 400x225px
>>58120386
>>58120386
>>58120386
>>
>>58120741
ill get a text from like sprint every few months advertising deals they have, nothing even remotely annoying.
>>
>>58120824
cant read your message due to artifacts
>>
>>58115641
>no legend
>reverse image search
>fifa world map
O.o
>>
>>58120829
Ah, cool. We get those on non-free-SMS countries too.
>>
>>58118088
>>58115712
why is Line so bad? some of my friends use it and it doesn't seem terrible
>>
>>58115610
>paying for it
>free
m8...
>>
ITT people with no friends struggle to grasp the actions of people with friends
>>
>>58115441
doesnt whatsapp provide talk,text and video calling all together?
>>
>>58121201
No friends? Is that something that actually happens?
>>
its biggest feature is the group function.
its like IRC2GO
even my parents use it and my mom couldnt live without it anymore.
>>
>>58115441
>the nordic countries
>subhuman
What are you trying?
>>
>>58121285
>hans
Germany is not one of the nordic countries
>Finalnd and Norway race traitors in any way.
What?
>>
>>58121251
>>
>>58121318
Did you just write the number of the post you meant to quote by hand?
>>
>>58115641
Anglo countries dont need to talk to people "worldwide" because we keep to our well built,populated, healthy countries instead of migrating to other countries spreading shit and distust among homogenous communities.

Basically we dont need something better than basic texting
>>
Texting is the worst, people like to use it for easy social contacts maintenance but I'm not one of your social tamagochis you fucks, call me if you need something
>>
>>58115606
I need one about news.
>>
>>58115610
>not using a free plan that includes whatsapp for free.

burgercuck
>>
>>58115606
>friends
>>
>>58115441
Isn't it because they still get charged extra for texts like it's 2005
>>
File: wire.png (43KB, 967x667px) Image search: [Google]
wire.png
43KB, 967x667px
>>58115441
I suppose for some people it's because it's cheaper.
But also
>faster
>more features
>encrypted

Although nowadays I recommend Wire, because it doesn't require a phone number and it works in the browser with full functionality. Plus it has open source clients.

>>58116292
Actually phone plans are much cheaper in Europe and we also don't pay for receiving calls and text like americans do (lol).
But phones themselves are usually more expensive, yes.
>>
Tfw I have to use facebook messenger because everyone uses it in my country
>>
>>58115441
Memes aside, it's because free SMS included in plans wasn't really a thing. You'd get 300 free SMS for the month but that would be it.

Most people also had Blackberrys instead of iPhones in third-world countries because they were relatively cheaper and Android wasn't really a thing yet. When Android started taking shape and WhatsApp was an early cross-platform solution (and won out among Viber, Tango, etc.) to "BBM lock-in" was when WhatsApp really grew in popularity. From there, people just stuck with it because they didn't want to try anything else. That's pretty much it.

>>58115606
Group chats are fucking horrible. I'm in one right now and I have 300+ messages that are literally just all cross-talk or some asshole being "nice" and sending a 192x91 "Happy Monday!" jpeg.
>>
>>58117107
How do you know WhatsApp implemented the Signal protocol correctly? Did you review the source code?
>>
>>58116022
You mean XMPP?
>>
>>58115610
Every plan where I live has unlimited SMS, we still use Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger because I don't live in a tech illiterate third world shithole like the US that still uses outdated technology like SMS
>>
>>58117341
Nice try, NSA spook.
>>
>>58122644
SMS is unlimited because it's free to provide--the text is basically crammed into network traffic that was flying around anyway. Which is interesting.

So yeah, it's no skin off their nose to throw it in for free. Well, "free".
>>
>>58120737
whatsapp is xmpp
>>
>>58121487
Flock to mexico to get subsidized medicines.
>>
>No syncing messages across devices
>Only one device at a time
>No PC client, have to tunnel through phone
>If your phone dies/is stolen/is lost your just fucked, no way to message anyone
>No features that every other messenger doesn't do
>Monitored and data mined by facebok
Whatsapp is fucking garbage. If you want a botnet messenger that everyone uses then just use Facebook messenger. It's the same shit but it works on more than one fucking device at once and it syncs messages.
>>
>>58122771
Facebook Messenger has the connotation of "basic" though. There's being a normie and then there's being even worse than a normie :^)
>>
>>58117341
If I was following you and your friend around in public — up real close and personal — listening in to your mundane chit-chat and writing it all down, would you just carry on and ignore me? Would you ask me politely to go away? Would you threaten to kick my teeth in if I continued? Just because you aren't talking about TOP SECRET things, doesn't mean you shouldn't desire a certain degree of privacy.
>>
>>58120248
Nobody is making you do anything, you're just too much of a pussy to say no.
>>
File: 5fbce7_5280243.png (105KB, 1220x488px) Image search: [Google]
5fbce7_5280243.png
105KB, 1220x488px
>>58121353
kirsten's a qt
>>
>>58121619
This. Sometimes I'll get messages from people I barely know making small talk. What the actual fuck?!
>>
>Not using all mighty TOX
It's like you guys hate freedom.
>>
Why hasn't FB Messenger just merged all of their operations with WhatsApp?
>>
>>58123223
Why would they? There's really no difference other than whatsapp not having group calls and video calls, unless it recently adopted those as well. The only difference is messenger uses email to register while whatsapp uses a phone number.
Whatsapp also doesn't have the bloat messenger does.
>>
>>58123205
Didn't it have a problem of not working on mobile data and only being usable on wifi? I liked how you didn't have to even register at all, but nobody really uses it. There's no point in using communication software if there isn't anyone to communicate with.
>>
File: 1452803706800.jpg (26KB, 316x255px) Image search: [Google]
1452803706800.jpg
26KB, 316x255px
>>58123205
Basically this >>58123376
There's no point in using a comm software that nobody I know uses. I tried convincing some of my friends, but normie as they are, they hated TOX. I did the same with Telegram and Signal; they just use fucking WhatsApp.

There's nothing I can do anymore, and I don't have Stallman levels of pushiness to try and persuade them any longer.
>>
>>58123409
Oh, well. At least Whatsapp have improved a little over time.
>>
File: file.png (47KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
47KB, 400x300px
A better question would be why do carriers don't come up with a standard of messaging that is similar to WhatsApp and the likes?
What happened to video calls over 3G? over 4G?
>>
File: nico.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
nico.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>58116086
>closed source
>no webm support
>very picky about document/image/video formats in general
>we have no idea if they're a botnet/planning to become one
>owned by jews
>>
i live in canada and literally no mobile carrier in this 3rd world internet hellhole gives a reasonable international texting plan

so i just use whatsapp because its programmed well and is reliable, you can send messages while on the subway, and it will send once you get your connection back, other apps bug out and fail to send messages if youre not connected to an LTE network

hope that answers your question OP

but if you live in europe or america where the texting rates are reasonable, no need to use whatsapp i suppose.

ps. i pay $75 a month for my mobile plan with 5GB of data, and unlimited talk and text but it's LOCAL only, and as far as texting goes i can only text in canada for free, texting to america costs me 15 cents per text, 25 cents to overseas
>>
Because you can see if the person you've sent your message to has read it
>>
>>58123951
>but if you live in europe or america where the texting rates are reasonable, no need to use whatsapp i suppose.

Everyone uses whatsapp or the like in Yurp. It's just much more versatile. Granted there's lots of unnecessary shitposting since it's basically like a bunch of chatrooms but it's much more convenient reaching everybody in that group rather than sending all of them a text message.

That price on your phone plan is insane though, does it include payments for a phone or something?
>>
>>58124220

>That price on your phone plan is insane though, does it include payments for a phone or something?

yes.
>>
>>58121237
It does. Just tested out the video calling, works well. Also I often use it to make voice calls because it's the app I use anyway to contact my friends and the call button is right there.

Only downside is that I don't really care for video calls, I'd prefer text and even regular voice calls in majority of scenarios, but my girlfriend loves them so from time to time when we haven't seen each other in a while she likes to have very long video calls with me. It doesn't bother me all that much and it makes her happy so whatever. We didn't really have video or even regular calls before video calling came to WhatsApp. I guess it's a kind of a testament to their ease of use since she's not very technology oriented otherwise.
>>
>>58121814
lol, big words from people still using SMS
>>
>>58124515
>my girlfriend
stopped reading right there.
>>
>>58124563
Why?
>>
>>58121619
>social contacts maintenance
>>58123114
>people I barely know making small talk.

yeah, its strange, somehow smartphone IM has distanced my inner groupd of friends from eachother, we barely meet once every two months now, instead of every two weeks or a random spur of the moment 2-3 ppl meetup arranged over voice on a 30min notice on a random evening.

and aso made acquaintances closer, basically leveling everyone on a same dull text friendship scenario.
>>
>>58125588
The problem is people just blurt out whatever they're thinking of over the phone so they don't feel like they need to see each other, because they've already 'talked' about everything that's happened recently. And then when you're actually somewhere there's always that one person who just does shit with their phone instead of socializing with the people they're with
>>
SMS just has less features.
Thread posts: 199
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.