[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 25

File: 1473311219081.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1473311219081.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
Previously: >>58109389

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
>>>/t/707928

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
>>>/t/713097

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: >>>/wg/6785580
Part II: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: https://archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/
>>
>mfw freetards in this very thread are posting using google botnet captcha on a closed source proprietary imageboard
>>
>>58114991
that picture makes me want to be there with him, can't see the real depth that exists
>>
>>58115069
Woah, thats so deep I bet you're really smart
do you use Arch linux?
>>
Just finished burning the Gentoo ISO (livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704) onto a USB. Debating on whether or not I should go ahead and install it tonight on my desktop or my newer laptop from last year.

my desktop specs are :
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
Memory: 8.0 GiB Total
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

I don't know what is wrong with it but sometimes it'll turn on but no power goes to the USB ports and there will be no video output or power to my mouse/keyboard unless I turn it off and bang on it a couple times, then turn it back on in which case I'll hear these two clicks after a few seconds of powering it on, which is directly related because without the two clicks (about a second apart from each other) it just turns on but nothing else happens, no video output or power to usb.

Does installing Gentoo require a lot of reboots? If so I'll just wait until I get my ac adapter for my laptop (pet rats chewed through the chord a while ago and I'm ordering a new one on payday).
>>
File: you.jpg (49KB, 551x826px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
49KB, 551x826px
>>58115029
>>
>>58115098
Please don't feed him
>>
>>58115092
>and bang on it a couple times
You are retarded.

> case I'll hear these two clicks after a few seconds of powering it on
Clicks or beeps? That's strange. If clicks backup all your data ASAP, your HDD might be dying(aren't we all?).

>Does installing Gentoo require a lot of reboots?
Only if you fuckup the kernel compilation.
>>
>>58115113
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
Is it actually posible to dual boot with NixOS?
>>
>>58115164
clicks, but only twice before giving power to anything or actually booting after that it's smooth sailing
>>
>>58115250
Yeah, that is how it usually is. Ir only clicks on when starting. The weird part is that it seems too homogeneous.

Also there are not many things on a computer that can click.
>>
>>58115314
aye, but if it's just the hard drive then why is it turning on but not getting any power to any of the USB ports or sending any sort of video signal?
>>
>>58115246
Yes
>>
>>58115377
Do you achieve it through the configuration.nix file or do you have to go deep into the grub.cfg or use another program like arch's os-prober?
>>
>>58115353
That's indeed strange. The HDD might be making the POST software crash or something.

Try unplugging the hdd and test the problem persists.
>>
>>58115428
install linux
install windows
boot linux
use grub to autogen
>>
Can someone explain the difference between a desktop environment and a window manager? Is a DE just a window manager + special apps and stuff? Is there any reason to choose JUST a WM
>>
>>58115929
>Is a DE just a window manager + special apps and stuff?
Basically yes.

>Is there any reason to choose JUST a WM
If you don't need the extra stuff or the WM of your preference is not packaged with any DE.

In practice you will end up installing most software that comes with a DE and will build a DE of your own.

You can even create a package for it. Just create a empty package, with configuration scripts, and add all the software you used as dependencies.
>>
>>58116091
What WM would be a good choice if i went the solo wm route? I know there's stacking and tiling, but are they all pretty similar?
>>
>>58116141
Probably OpenBox or i3. I don't use any of them thou.
>>
>>58116091
>>58115929
A full DE may have some 'integration' features by which the programs it ships work closely with each other
additionally, programs developed as part of or for a particular DE, in the case of gnome and KDE, will often all depend on a bunch of libraries.
But in terms of actual use thats entirely right, they're just a bunch of software bundled together
Maybe dont choose just a WM if you want things preconfigured and comfy out of the box.
>>58116141
I'd say most of them are pretty much as good as each other.
Openbox is pretty good, like anon said.
I can attest to CWM being pretty nice too. Uses window groups instead of workspaces and comes with command runner
dunno anything about tiling WMs.
>>
>>58116229
>A full DE may have some 'integration'
I can't think, normal case, where this integration is DE specific. They usually adhere to open protocols, like libnotify and dbus.
>>
Just submitted my first app for the App Store review!!!
Wish me luck guys.

(It's actually a well developed app and I'm kinda ashamed of doing mobile but the money is good)
>>
>>58116258
I suppose its just an extension of 'preconfigured', demonstrating that it can be more extensive than just the default rice.
>>
File: 1482374315647.png (171KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1482374315647.png
171KB, 374x347px
Is there any benefit to installing Ubuntu Gnome over installing Ubuntu and then Gnome?
>>
>>58116481
you don't have to install ubuntu then gnome.
better configs too
>>
Well, I'm posting from Linux right now and so far my experience has been pretty shit.

It's starting to feel like it's almost working correctly at least. On the other hand, I'm having to use a shitty manual override every time I boot to get functional internet speeds.

Anyone willing to help troubleshoot an Intel I219-V on board LAN that won't play well with Kubuntu under the latest kernel and updates? There is no real official driver support, and I'm at the limits of my understanding.
>>
>>58116507
>manual override
make a script and have it run every time you boot
>>
What's the best ad-blocking extension for firefox in KDE?
>>
>>58116523
>im using KDE btw
>>
>>58116518

I tried adding it to rc.local but it didn't work.
>>
>>58116523
>KDE
That makes no difference whatsoever, the program isn't affected by stuff like that.
The best adblocker for firefox is ublock orgin, though.
>>
>>58116533

I'm brand new to this, I don't know what's relevant and what isn't just yet.

I didn't realize I was in the sarcastic GNU/Linux thread.
>>
Can anyone recommend a decent video-editing software for Gnu/Linux?
>>
>>58116564
Haha.

Just use uBlock origin my man, turn on all ad-filers prettty much,.
>>
>>58116564
Yeah? now make like a tree and split!
>>
>>58116551
try KDE's autostart thing
>Settings>>Startup and shutdown>>autostart
>>
>>58116566
ffmpeg
>>
>>58116656
I want to edit and make a youtube video.
>>
>>58116581

In the network manager gui I can set the settings I need, but they don't appear to work. Not sure why that it, but the gui software "store" doesn't seem to be working either.
>>
My secondary HDD is recognized by the system and formatted, but isn't mounted.

How do I get it mounted, and so that it will be mounted at boot.
>>
>>58116704
Muon a shit. Synaptic is better. Though if you'd rather have an 'app store' look I suppose ubuntu software center'd be the only option, I dunno if it'd pull a bunch of unity dependencies or not.
>>58116680
Ive heard kdenlive is good.
>>
>>58116918
>KDE

ehhhh
>>
>>58116680
>youtube
botnet
>>
>>58116744
add to your fstab
>>
I've been giving Void Linux a whirl on my Thinkpad T420
It appears to be a good quality distribution of the Linux Operating System
The separation of the package management system into several binaries is an interesting choice
>>
>>58117319
Sorry, I'm running Arch
>>
>>58117335
What desktop environment / window manager are you using currently?
I have been giving i3 a try, as it gets a lot of praise here
>>
>>58117335
dank
>>
>>58114991
In the progress of setting up Gentoo with XFCE on my Lenovo B575e laptop. I've used Gentoo once before as a server, but configuring a fully functional desktop has proven more difficult.
I'm at a point where i don't know what to do with ALSA. I can play videos with sound in MPV after creating a .asoundrc, but Firefox is lacking sound. I've read somewhere ALSA can only broadcast sound from 1 source at a time, unless you configure it right, and nothing seems to work for me.
Should i go install pulseaudio and see if that does the trick for me? Can someone explain the downside of pulseaudio to me?
>>
>>58117564
if firefox trying to use pulseaudio flag?
>>
>>58117564
>Can someone explain the downside of pulseaudio to me?
there was a problem with a pulseaudio ubuntu package 8 years ago and people haven't stopped talking about it
>>
>>58116141
Ive been using I3 until my config got fucked and I wouldn't be bothered to fix it.
I3-wm, Openbox, and Awesome are top tier.

If you're going down the WM route be prepared to be spending a few hours more preparing, customizing and maintaining your system than if you just used a full fledged DE.

In the end don't fall for the memes. Use whatever makes you the most productive. I felt I was pretty productive running i3wm but spending a day going through old forum posts and documentation to see where you fucked up your rice is sometimes not worth it.
>>
>>58117826
I need help with awesome. Ive followed all the instructions and install imagemagick but i still get an error when building with make.

This is the CmakeOutput.log
>http://pastebin.com/nKaXywW8

This is the error when running make
eyburv@acr14 ~/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9 $ sudo make
Password:
Running cmake…
-- cat -> /bin/cat
-- ln -> /bin/ln
-- grep -> /usr/bin/grep
-- git not found.
-- hostname -> /usr/bin/hostname
-- asciidoc not found.
-- xmlto not found.
-- gzip -> /usr/bin/gzip
-- lua -> /usr/bin/lua
-- ldoc not found.
-- ldoc.lua not found.
-- convert -> /usr/bin/convert
-- Could NOT find Doxygen (missing: DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)
-- Not generating manpages. Missing: asciidoc xmlto
-- Not generating API documentation. Missing: ldoc
-- Checking for modules 'glib-2.0;gdk-pixbuf-2.0;cairo;x11;xcb-cursor;xcb-randr;xcb-xtest;xcb-xinerama;xcb-shape;xcb-util>=0.3.8;xcb-keysyms>=0.3.4;xcb-icccm>=0.3.8;cairo-xcb;libstartup-notification-1.0>=0.10;xproto>=7.0.15;libxdg-basedir>=1.0.0'
--
--
--
--
--
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:424 (message):
A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:597 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
awesomeConfig.cmake:134 (pkg_check_modules)
CMakeLists.txt:15 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/eyburv/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9/.build-acr14-x86_64-solus-linux-6.2.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** [Makefile:24: cmake] Error 1

Or maybe im just too stupid to read error stuff properly...
>>
>>58117879
Could NOT find Doxygen (missing:  DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE)

do you have doxygen and xmlto installed?
>>
>>58117879
>A required package was not found
Dependencies are always a bitch.
>>
How's KDE Connect as opposed to a general file-transfer app like Portal?

I've always used the latter but, ever since I installed openSUSE, I've been feeling inclined to explore more about what KDE has to offer.
>>
>>58117946
I was certain that wasnt required because all it does it build documentation
>>
>>58117991
if you don't think its the cause then verify other dependencies; they're listed on their github
>https://github.com/awesomeWM/awesome
>>
I have a lot of appreciation for GNOME, I just wish my computer wasn't so shit that is runs slowly
>>
>>58117991
lmao

eyburv@acr14 ~/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9 $ sudo make
Password:
Running cmake…
-- cat -> /bin/cat
-- ln -> /bin/ln
-- grep -> /usr/bin/grep
-- git not found.
-- hostname -> /usr/bin/hostname
-- asciidoc not found.
-- xmlto -> /usr/bin/xmlto
-- gzip -> /usr/bin/gzip
-- lua -> /usr/bin/lua
-- ldoc not found.
-- ldoc.lua not found.
-- convert -> /usr/bin/convert
-- Found Doxygen: /usr/sbin/doxygen (found version "1.8.12")
-- Not generating manpages. Missing: asciidoc
-- Not generating API documentation. Missing: ldoc
-- Checking for modules 'glib-2.0;gdk-pixbuf-2.0;cairo;x11;xcb-cursor;xcb-randr;xcb-xtest;xcb-xinerama;xcb-shape;xcb-util>=0.3.8;xcb-keysyms>=0.3.4;xcb-icccm>=0.3.8;cairo-xcb;libstartup-notification-1.0>=0.10;xproto>=7.0.15;libxdg-basedir>=1.0.0'
--
--
--
--
--
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:597 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
awesomeConfig.cmake:134 (pkg_check_modules)
CMakeLists.txt:15 (include)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/eyburv/Downloads/awesome-3.5.9/.build-acr14-x86_64-solus-linux-6.2.0/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
make: *** [Makefile:24: cmake] Error 1
>>
>>58117826
dwm is best
>>
>>58115069
I've heard he smells bad
>>
>>58118131
-> >>58118048
>>
>>58118105
pls, if you really appreciated Gnome you would ignore its short comings and shittalk other DEs for the same failures.
>>
does anybody unironically use slackware?
>>
>>58118377
please
removepkg yourself.tar.xz
>>
>>58118245
Probably not worse than you
>>
What countries stallman was?
>>
>>58118377
>unironically
as opposed to fucking what?
>>
>>58118734
Khazaria
>>
>>58116507

Which manualy override?
>>
>>58116276
What app?
>>
>>58119567
grinder for /a/ and /g/
>>
>have to use grep
>can never remember if the pattern comes first or the filename
>have to just run "grep" to figure it out
>waste precious CPU cycles and my NEET time
>>
>>58114991
I know its been said before, but how can a guy be so autistic that he can't put his laptop down as he travels the entire world

seeing marvels of mankind, and the beauty of nature, but this african fellow is just looking down at a screen the whole time
>>
>>58119818

Sorry, but you must be really retarded. Do you think he works on his laptop all the time? How can you be so stupid not to realize that all of those perfectly focused pictures are posed?
Here, for your brain.

>hey mr. stallman I like this location, please go and sit there with your laptop for this photograph
>"only if your camera uses free software, punk"
>>
How to tag images in linux? Do i need and programs or just use this kde dolphin tagger?
>>
>>58119757
You're an idiot, but I'll do you a favor:
Pretend grep is an abbreviation for Gnu REgex Parse. It isn't, but let's pretend.
You're parsing. Parsing for a pattern in a file.
grep(arse) pattern file

Or just remember that the word grep ends with p, and the thing that follows it has to start with p: The pattern.
>>
File: icons.png (710KB, 1280x925px) Image search: [Google]
icons.png
710KB, 1280x925px
>>58120032

>grep(arse) pattern file
>(arse)

Are you calling me an arse, mate?
>>
>>58120032
global/regular expression/print
Why don't we have GNU gres?
>>
File: meh.ro12081_1.jpg (2MB, 2048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro12081_1.jpg
2MB, 2048x1357px
>>58114991
Hey /fglt/, a linux rookie who quite recently switched from Xubuntu to Fedora XFCE on my T60.

Now, when I first booted the system, the sound and hardware volume keys didn't work at first, but after a couple of hours of googling and trial and error I managed to get sound back into the damn machine.

Now the command which is
echo 0xffffffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey is not permanent, so that means I have to type it out every time I want to enable sound in fedora.

Now how do I go about adding it so it boots with the system simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>58120129

A hacky solution would be putting that in a script and running it via Xfce's autostart.
However, I recommend looking further into the problem. I don't understand why you have to do that and I doubt that's the optimal solution. Check out of your keys are recognized at the lowest level with this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/extra_keyboard_keys#Identifying_key_codes

If they are, it probably means they're not being correctly assigned for volume changing. That's a problem you can solve at Xfce's level or whatever you're using to change volumes (I use volumeicon and it can handle that just fine).
>>
>>58120200
Thanks for the reply.

How do I find the xfce start-up script/procedure? Because I will do that then.

I use pulseaudio to control and mix my audio, or that's atleast what came with the damn distro anyways.
>>
>>58120231

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Startup_applications
>>
What's the difference between
xset s off
and
xset s noblank
?
>>
>>58120379

man xset
>>
>>58120379
off prevents a crt from powering down or sleeping
noblank prevents a crt from blanking ( cathode stops scanning)
>>
How can you modify GNOME so it has stuff like a bottom taskbar and alt-tab for every window open, not just programs that you can expand with a mouse?
Currently using Debian, but I've used CentOS which has a taskbar and the alt-tab thing and it's too useful to not use.
>>
I'm running Transmission on my home server.
I'd like to run the downloads through a VPN but keep the remote control (on port 9091) outside it.
Is it possible?
>>
>>58120616
Shouldn't even be hard
>>
>>58120474

noblank draws a pattern instead of making it blank
check the man page
>>
>>58120718
Yet I can't figure it out.

My last resort is to use a virtual machine and put all the VPN'd services I need there.
But I'd rather avoid that...
>>
>>58120823
How do you even torrent through VPN?
>>
>>58120497
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/

GNOME could me much more improved with a few extensions, take a look at the GNOME extensions page and test some of them.

Also, you can control the extensions directly on browser, i don't remember if it works on Chrome, so use Firefox to be sure that i'll work.
>>
>>58120833
You start the VPN client and start downloading things.
>>
>>58115092
Are you that guy from #/tech/ from last night?
>>
>>58120846
The end-point of that VPN should do natting for you, doesn't it?

So, when you want to remote control your server, just use its real IP
>>
/g/ I need some help

Today I was trying to install aircrack, reaver etc on my ubuntu 14.04 install that my laptop came with, everything was fine ,but after rebooting the enable wifi option was gryed out, looked around internet and rfkill unblock and editing a config file didn't help, it says hard blocked = yes in rfkill list, even after sudo unblock commands

So I went to bios to see if they were enabled and hit load defaults button, but now every time I restart I get only Dell Recovery and hitting that th ubuntu logo loads for long after I get ubuntu lsf shell or something,

I contacted Dell and they said to put HDD priority in first and select Legacy in Boot List option, after that rebooting says "no boot device found" so they said the ubuntu is corrupted, and I gotta reinstall

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
>>
>>58120861
I tried again, just started the VPN and can't access any service through my real IP.
I'm using OpenVPN, by the way.
>>
>>58120813
heh
>>
Is there a way in sxhkd to change the pulseaudio source between headphone and speakers with hotkeys?
>>
>>58121393

There are pactl and pacmd to adjust PA settings, but I don't see what that has to do with your hotkey stuff. If it can trigger any shell command, why wouldn't it be able to trigger this?
>>
>>58120919
No idea what your setup is and what your vpn-client might configure
>>
How do I use a DAC/headphones with OSS on Arch?
>>
>>58114991
I jelaus to Stallman. Because he can work without any internet, in any place, anytime. Just open laptop and do shit.
My life as journalist means nothing without the web. My laptop is garbage if there's no wifi hotspot nearby. It fells like modern sort of slavery.
Huh.
>>
>>58122067
buy a professional laptop. my dell e6410 supports mobile broadband, it doesn't even need the shitty usb cards that some providers issue.

I'm using Arch btw
>>
>>58121615
Well... How'd you do it from scratch?
Or at least point me in the right direction, I'm totally clueless here.
>>
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/

x86 Debian customized by Raspberry Pi Foundation.
>>
Hi /fglt/.

Having some problems with mpd/ncmpcpp. I'm getting the fairly common error "MPD: problems setting volume", although the volume works perfectly fine via the mpd command by itself. Toggling the volume via +/- or Left/Right doesn't change it and neither does disabling my fifo output or the alsa output I created to diagnose the problem.

I'm wondering if it has to do with my ncmpcpp config file since mpd works without ncmpcpp. I don't have alsa installed, but instead Pulseaudio.

What did I do incorrectly to cause this?
>>
>>58122571
>and the Chromium web browser with useful plugins, including Adobe Flash, preinstalled.
Why would anybody do that?
>>
>>58121807
I edited /usr/lib/oss/etc/installed_driver so USB is above Intel HD and now osstest plays out of my DAC/headphones but everything else plays from onboard/vmix0. Does anyone know why?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5jmu9b/red_hat_engineer_cant_make_fedora_work_on_his_mac/

I really hate now RH and i don't joking. Not (just) the blogpost, but RH faggots in the comments made me think they are the biggest faggots in the industry, with their fucking Gnome.
>>
>>58122429
Can't help you with that, sorry.
>>
>>58122753
kek
>The thinkpads come with RHEL pre-installed and its a level 1 supported type (level 1 being they fix it no matter what). These folks are not allowed root or sudo, so they cannot break anything.
>>
>>58119942
exiftool
>>
Does default Ubuntu still have the Amazon malware installed on it?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-22_17-36-08.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-22_17-36-08.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Only mpv left to install, then I should be done setting up the Memepad.
>>
someone help, dont know what is using this much space
>>
File: SS_028.png (90KB, 550x151px) Image search: [Google]
SS_028.png
90KB, 550x151px
>>58123190
> someone help, dont know what is using this much space
forgot pic
>>
>>58123211
depending on the distro, 19G is pretty normal
>>
>>58123235
that is only root dir anon
it is arch
>>
>>58123211
Google it. Do you really think that you are the first person to encounter this?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=96714
>>
>>58123253
clear old packages
>>
File: 1476442679879.jpg (172KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1476442679879.jpg
172KB, 2560x1440px
>>58123256
>Google
botnet
>>
>>58123305
>>58123256
did
pacman -Sc

Nothing is changed
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-22_11-09-15.png (175KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-22_11-09-15.png
175KB, 1366x768px
>>58123069
setting up my memepad too familio. just got to finish copying from twi-

I mean "ricing" firefox with my own custom CSS :^)
>>
>>58122892
can i search images with ctrl+f by tags?
>>
>>58123370
>gui
grow up
>>
File: history_items.png (33KB, 294x501px) Image search: [Google]
history_items.png
33KB, 294x501px
I'm very much shit at CSS. How does one change the text color of the labels of items in the Firefox menu through the userChrome.css file? Specifically the History submenu (pic related).
Context: I installed the Arc Dark theme for Firefox and saw that the font color for bookmarks in the bookmarks toolbar hasn't changed i.e. my bookmarks were just black text on a dark background. After some mild research, I added the following to my userChrome.css file:

.toolbarbutton-text {
color: white !important;
}

However, this apparently also changed the text color for recent history items in the Firefox menu because DOM Inspector reports that they are also considered toolbarbutton, just like bookmarks, and since the theme didn't apply to the menu, I now have white text on light background in the History submenu. Essentially, how can I change the text color of everything in, as it were, PanelUI-HistoryItems? And optionally, the same but for zoom-reset-button and PanelUI-customize in the parent menu?
>>
>>58123318
On my machine google is just a website I use for a search engine
>>
>>58123428
I'm so shit at CSS that I just use oldschool inline styling. Too lazy to change.
>>
>>58123565
Google is part of the NSA's surveillence program PRISM; everything you type is collected by bots and made acceable in a huge database.
Welcome to the botnet.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-12-22_12-58-38.png (358KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-12-22_12-58-38.png
358KB, 1366x768px
I'm new to the ricing game, but want to make my thinkpad look noice.
I installed Xubuntu Core (comes with nothing but XFCE and terminal), then started adding little bits. The only ricing I've so far is add Numix circle icons and the Arc-dark theme.
Is conky still cool, or is that stuck back in 2007?
Also, is there a good, simple to customize floating WM? I saw someone with a nice looking i3 config on Arch, but I'm not a fan of tiling WMs.

>>
>>58123866
I don't care
>>
File: Selection_027.png (125KB, 1362x767px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_027.png
125KB, 1362x767px
>>58123914
>Is conky still cool, or is that stuck back in 2007?
I use it sometimes.

>Also, is there a good, simple to customize floating WM?
Openbox

>I saw someone with a nice looking i3 config on Arch, but I'm not a fan of tiling WMs.

You can float windows in tiling WMs pic related. And you're free to just run ~10 fullscreen programs (or floating) on a tiling WM and switch between them (mod key + 1-0 or scroll over the system bar). You don't have to actually tile everything.
>>
>>58123914
dwm is great, you can make it do floating by default if you want. Configuration is done by editing a C header file, though. But I don't even know C and found editing the file pretty easy. You just need to get used to the syntax.
To make it floating by default you go to Layout section and change tile to NULL and NULL to tile, and then change the keybindings where it says XK_t and XK_f and swap them.

Maybe it would be hard to do this for a newbie who isn't used to fast editing with vim though. Sometimes I misjudge my own power level. I thought it was easy though. You could also learn the tiling part, it's fun. But you need to install "attachaside" patch to make it useable. To patch it, you download the diff into the dwm directory and patch -p1 < filename.diff.

Maybe this is too hard for a beginner though. i3 isn't too hard but it doesn't do floating as well. You could try OpenBox instead, I don't like it personally but it's not terrible. DWM does everything right with just that one patch though. Floating mode is great. If you get the pertag patch then it's even better because you can have one workspace as tiling adn the other as floating and can switch between them on the fly it's great. I love dwm. ANother benefit of dwm is it gives you motivation to learn C. The whole wm is just simple C. So you can read it and learn how C works. I just started learning it because of it.

BSPWM is another good WM but I think it's more complicated to setup. But if you read the BSPWM guide for dummies you should be able to get started. It's important to add "bspc config focus_follows_pointer true" to your bspwmrc file though.

Sorry if this post is too complicated.
>>
>>58124067
I should also add that to install dwm you should download the sourcecode 6.1 release directly and compile it after editing the config.h and patching it. When downloading a patch from suckless.org, download the one that says 6.1 in the name. You can also git clone to install it but none of the patches will work on the newest development branch.
>>
>>58124067
Sounds like a lot of work for things that other WM give you OOTB
>>
>>58123804
oh thanks, I didn't realize it
I changed it to
.toolbarbutton-text {color: white !important;}

Everything is still the same though, and I still can't my recent history items cuz white on light.
>>
>>58124067
>i3 isn't too hard but it doesn't do floating as well.
You can make specific programs floating by default by just adding code related to your .i3/config. Or anytime with mod + shift + space.

for_window [class="Nautilus" instance="file_progress"] floating enable

>>58123914
If you go tiling just be ready to play with config files. It's part of the fun really and they aren't that difficult to understand. Surely if you have any questions someone here will help you out.
>>
File: Selection_028.png (210KB, 1365x767px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_028.png
210KB, 1365x767px
>>58124157
Not really. Awesome is especially easy followed by Xmonad, i3, dwm, bspwm. In my opinion anyways. Pic related is Xmonad.
>>
>>58124355
>Awesome is especially easy
Because it gives you the things you described ootb
>>
>>58124067
>>58124355
Xmonad is a haskell rewrite of dwm, right?

Pic related is dwm in tiling mode
>>
File: desktop.png (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
236KB, 1920x1080px
>>58124576
Forgot picture
>>
>>58124588
fix dem gaps
>>
>>58124617
How big would you make them? I thought 20px is nice.
>>
>>58124063
>>58124067
>>58124199
>>58124355

Thanks for all the info. Messing around with configs doesn't really scare me, and if I screw up I could always revert it.
Based on the thread content, i3 seems to be the most popular WM. I'll start there, but if it proves to be over my head then I'll jump to Awesome, dwm, Xmonad, etc.

My last question is, does using a WM instead of a full DE result in longer battery life? I'm getting ~10 hours on my x230 with a 9-cell, but it would be cool to squeeze even more life out! (I've already set up TLP, and disabled all the stuff I don't need)
>>
>>58124576
It began as a clone of dwm in Haskell but they have went beyond just cloning it.
>>
>>58124640
Just make them the same size.
>>
>>58124653
That's just the way the uselessgaps patch works. There's only one setting available: static const unsigned int gappx = pixelvaluehere;

I think dwm already has a small gap between master and stack so it is added ontop of it.
>>
>>58124641
>using a WM instead of a full DE result in longer battery life?

I legit get about three more hours running on i3 vs gnome or kde.

>I've already set up TLP, and disabled all the stuff I don't need

Have you checked out powertop? The configurables tab is pretty nifty for disabling pic related bullshit.
>>
>>58124712
Hmm.. This snippet might change it.
 gapoffset = gappx;
gapinc = 2 * gappx;

Where it says 2*gappx, probably changing it to just gappx would make them all equal.
>>
File: 1460755297253.gif (2MB, 266x199px) Image search: [Google]
1460755297253.gif
2MB, 266x199px
>Dark Mint
>400 pentesting tools
>€30.00 – Add to basket
http://www.blackhatsec.org/downloads/dark-mint/
>>
>>58124998
god damn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPbFMeOJLtI
>>
>>58124998
>>58125019

>Kermel 3.8
>Kermel

First I thought it was bad kerning, but it's not.
>>
dead thread
>>
>>58125910
Slow threads are best.
No rusemasters baiting the newcunts
>>
>>58125976
Indeed.
>>
>>58125976
I'm a neet and I don't have enough to do so would like a faster thread,
>>
>>58126080
Go to another board then you useless fuck
>>
>>58126093
But /jp/ is slow too ;_;
>>
>>58126218
fuck off, newfag
back to your subreddit
>>
>>58126080
You could start an "post ur aliases" thread. :^)
>>
>>58126253
yeah im gonna start an thread now
thanks. or maybe i should start a arch thread?
>>
>>58126253
These don't work on /g/. You get some rm -rf and than a page 10.
>>
What's a good image viewer for linux? Looking for something that supports gifs and has good scaling algorithms for large images.
>>
Do I need to configure something to be able to send e-mail with mailutils?
>>
>>58126305
m p v
p
v
>>
>>58126305
Linux doesn't have image viewers yet, maybe systemd will.
>>
Why are there so many linix?
>>
>>58126430
because nobody can do it right and everyone does it wrong, while others do it better, which again are doing it wrong, because nobody can do it right and everyone does it wrong
>>
>>58126430
Good question, do we really need mainline, stable and 8 longterm releases?
>>
>>58126430
some are good for laptops, some are good for production (low latency), some are security oriented, etc
>>
>>58126430
Because linux is anarchism. Seriously, can't we just force everyone to follow standards alike POSIX, XDG, etc?
>>
>>58126323
How to pan images when zoomed in?

>>58126345
I've already replaced my init OS with emacs
>>
>>58118245

I heard from someone who provided him accomodation that he does indeed smell bad and is very rude
>>
File: 1458435604321.jpg (2MB, 2046x1535px) Image search: [Google]
1458435604321.jpg
2MB, 2046x1535px
>>58126560
Good devs already do. Also stop disrespecting my freedoms.
>>
>>58126575
input.conf
CTRL+LEFT        add video-pan-x -0.01
CTRL+UP add video-pan-y -0.01
CTRL+DOWN add video-pan-y +0.01
CTRL+RIGHT add video-pan-x +0.01
>>
File: 1460522297160.png (193KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1460522297160.png
193KB, 499x499px
Hey /g/, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?
>>
>>58126814
Pepe Linux
>>
>>58126814
gentoo
>>
>>58126814
swag arch
>>
>>58126305
>>58126323
Oh man, this is exactly what I was looking for. Goodbye mpv

https://gitlab.com/luspi/photoqt
>>
How do I remove the Amazon spyware in Ubuntu?
>>
>>58127188
You install a different distro that actually respects your privacy
>>
>>58127204
I like the familiarity of Ubuntu do other distributions like kubuntu etc respect privacy?
>>
>>58124736
Yep. The only "Bad" I get in powertop is the VM writeback timeout one. I have to check what that means.

Since I'm predominately concerned with battery life, it looks like a WM is the way for me to go.
>>
File: 1481385946258.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1481385946258.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>58126814
Parabola GNU/Linux-libre
>>
>>58127485
cute :3
>>
>>58127103
Dear lord, this is single handedly the best thing I've used on Linux. Hell it's the best image viewer I've ever used.
>>
>>58127103
>qt
>>
>>58127558
IMO, the qt dependency is worth it for this single program
>>
>Binary firmware blobs from the Debian non-free archive are installed when no good Free Software alternative exists.
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/#index17h2
That makes Tails basically a joke, right?
>>
>>58127703
And what other option do you think there is?
>>
>>58127703
If you think that this would make tails a joke you wouldn't be able to use it at all since hardware comes with its own firmware, too (and would be more likely to be a security risk than blobs in the linux kernel anyway)
>>
What should I read as a beginner in BSD? Specifically OpenBSD.
Also, my experience with Linux is one year of Arch desktop in something like 2011. Never ever again.
The time passes, but still, inb4 greentext current year.
>>
How is dpi scaling on Linux? I bought a 4k monitor without thinking about this problem and now I'm worried. The problem is also I'm attaching it to a notebook which means I need two individual DPI settings for both monitors
>>
If I switch from Windows to Linux full time:

1. How do I fix the god awful sound?
2. How do I use MS Office without compatibility issues?
>>
>>58128044
1. No idea what you're talking about
2. Haha, that's not even possible on Windows.
>>
>>58128044

1. configure it
2. use Libre Office
>>
>>58128044
1. What issues in particualr did you experience?
2. If LibreOffice still has problems loading/saving MS Office docs, you might want to try Office 365.
>>
>>58127703
nah, your tech """""""literacy""""""" is basically a joke
>>
>thunar still crashes on rename sometimes
seriously this bug is so old wtf. It should be fixed by now.

Is pcmanfm any good?
>>
>>58128388
>pcmanfm
Use spacefm
>>
>>58128388
>It should be fixed by now.
Implying they're competent.
>>
>>58128356
Whatever makes you sleep at night.
>>
>>58128471
why did you feel the need to post this? to feel better about your utter retardation?
>>
>>58128388
>using a gui file manager
when will you kids grow up
>>
>>58116580
*fork
>>
I've set up rutorrent on a server. It seems to work fine, but I can't get it to ask me for credentials. It just goes straight in. I've messed around with config files for a few hours and I can't get it to work.
>>
>>58128483
You're obviously trying to ignore the fact that kernel blobs may have backdoors. Aren't you?
>>
>>58116680
Frankly, FFMPEG is a viable video editor. That is, if you write advanced scripts. Basic scripts can do... the basics, of course, advanced scripts can streamline cutting clips and placing them together, even with audio. FFMPEG can use
-c copy
and such to retain the containers without remuxing/re-encoding and losing quality.
In theory, and if given enough time - in practice, FFMPEG is a viable video editor for your needs.

To note:
I have been working on a set of FFMPEG tools (.bat/.sh) that streamlines a ton of various video editing needs. At the moment, I've got about 50 different scripts that do basic tasks. I'm working on educating myself on advanced usage of bash and batch, (batch is very fucking difficult due to how much Windows loves obfuscating software/information) so I can make console based video editing a reality. I hope to release these tools somewhere in late 2017, early 2018, if all goes well and my will for this project remains.
>>
What is best remote desktop for the leenoox
>>
>>58128628
ssh
>>
>>58116744
If the other anon's post wasn't clear enough, root into [nano//vi//vim] on /etc/fstab.

Tips:
fstab separates with tabs. A string of characters connected together, non-separated by tabs, will count under the table-formatting provided in the comments in /etc/fstab.
Find the UUID of the partition:
$ blkid

And, of course, the partition itself... which comes with blkid, but to keep alternatives flowing,
$ lsblk

Another tip for fstab, but please don't take my words for granted - as in, DO THE RESEARCH YOURSELF FOR THIS PART - after the UUID you can copy /root's values. That should work, it works for me, but please, as I say, do not do anything that can damage your system. Read up on it. I do not want to be the man who causes you to damage your system. That would make me feel really bad, and primarily you, as well.
>>
>>58128553
I'm trying to ignore the fact that you don't have the slightest idea of what a kernel blob is or how a kernel works. it's really hard to do so though since your retardation is very obvious. The very fact that you would even consider that tails (a binary distro with a non-hardened kernel) was somehow at some point in time not a joke is all i need to know to conclude that you are mentally ill
>>
>>58128485
Is there a way to bulk rename files, only changing their file extensions and keeping their names intact?
>>
>>58128553
>i learned a cool word from hacker movies xD
Nice.
>>
>>58128681
Use rename. It's pretty powerful.
rename -v 's/\.jpe?g$/.jpg/i

This will for example rename all JPG, JPEG, JpEg, etc to jpg.
>>
>>58128681
on terminal? rename
>>
>>58128733
Whoops.
rename -v 's/\.jpe?g$/.jpg/i' *
>>
>>58128733
Don't do this. It'll break your system.
Fuck off, troll.
>>
>>58128653
>>58128628
There are two options I can provide.
VNC, (tigervnc seems pretty good) and SSH2+Xorg.
Here, this article, if you should choose to read it, will give insight on how to set such an environment up: http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/XoverSSH/X-over-SSH2.html
I wish you luck, feel free to ask any further questions if the guide proves futile.

>>58128681
There is. Both on Windows, as well as on UNIX/GNU+Linux/Linux systems.
Linux, with bash:
[EXTENSIONIZER.sh]
for file in *.filetype
do
mv "$file" "${file%.filetype}.newfiletype"
done

Source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1224766/how-do-i-rename-the-extension-for-a-batch-of-files

For Windows,
[EXTENSIONIZER.bat]
rename *.filetype *.newfiletype

Source: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000323.htm

Good luck!
>>
>>58128733
>JPG
why is this even a thing
>>
File: 1459237843148.jpg (96KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
1459237843148.jpg
96KB, 480x400px
>>58128796
>For Windows,
>>
>>58128816
Oh, jeez.
My mind slipped. I do apologise... that was an incredibly silly mistake. Polite sage, and all.
>>
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP.

Tried to update Arch on my laptop and screen just goes and stays black so I restarted it and now it says

Loading Linux ...
error: premature end of file /boot/vmlinuz-linux.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
Error: you need to load the kernel first

Press any key to continue...

How the fuck do I fix it? Is it just fucked now?
>>
>>58128937
>Tried to update Arch on my laptop and screen just goes and stays black
That's normal.
>>
>>58128937
update grub, if it doesn't help, reinstall linux
>>
>>58128947
Fuck

I thought it wasn't. Is it really normal? Kek I'm a dumbass.
>>
>>58128937
did you press any key?
>>
>>58128997
It just goes back to grub menu.

Looks like I need to chroot
>>
>>58128937
I have a few things you could try. First, I need to know if you are capable of chrooting.
If not, I can provide an explanation of how to.
Got a LiveCD on hand? USB? Something you can load that works? Just the GNU/Linux itself on a bootable medium.
>>
>>58129055
Care to share your skype? Just in case I need help when I'm not on 4chan.
>>
>>58129055
I just booted the Arch Linux cd. I am at the main menu now

Going to do this:
[Code]# mount /dev/sdxY /mnt #Your root partition.
# mount /dev/sdxZ /mnt/boot #Your boot partiton (if you have one).
# arch-chroot /mnt
# pacman -S linux
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
[/CODE]

Will it fix the problem?
>>
>>58129081
I don't have Skype anymore, it caused too many issues for my system. I do, however, have an email address you can contact me at. Feel free to either A) sign me up for as many gay porn sites as you wish, or B) contact me for assistance. Either or works, as I've had to already filter out a ton from the last time I gave my email out.
[email protected]

I use another email for professional stuff so I don't get dragon dildos showing up when I'm at work, ahah.

>>58129095
Only one way to find out. Before you try it, though, back up your /boot/grub/grub.cfg by:
$ cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.old

Or somesuch way as you'd prefer. Backups are important, anon. But yes, go ahead after backing up. Keep us posted.
>>
>>58129125
What the hell is /dev/sdxY

What did he mean by it specifically?

Can you walk me through this chroot thing
>>
>>58129142
x is a/b/c/etc etc etc, so like sdb, or sda
Y is the number part. So, sdb1, sdb2, sdb3, so on and so on.

Do an lsblk to find your drives, /root and /mnt partitions, and such.

Example: if your drive is sdb, and root is on sdb1, you would do
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
And sdb2 is boot,
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/boot

That's ONLY if your drive is sdb. It could be sda, or sdc. Most typically it is sda, however. But use lsblk to be certain.
>>
>>58128937
Your kernel image is corrupt
Boot a liveuse and do mkinitcpio -p linux
>>
>>58129169
K I mounted Sda1. Then did arch-chroot /mnt

now I did pacman -S linux.

Seems to have worked successfully BUT

It said this a bunch of times:
Idconfig: file /usr/lib/blahblahblahblah.so is empty, not checked.

For like two dozen thingies. Is that an issue
>>
>>58129169
Do you have a beard anon?

Also I heard Kde would give me no screen tearing?
>>
>>58129203
Is just install linux fine
>>
>>58129232
Apparently not if youu cant boot it from the kernel image
>>
>>58129212
Perhaps KDE looks a bit visually nicer. Though, it is a preference, and I dislike the bloatiness of KDE, so I prefer not to use it.
And yes, I do have a beard, but I keep it clean and non-scraggly. I love my own appearance, so I keep my looks professional (work environment and such).
Enough about myself though,
>>58129209
 $ sudo pacman -Syu --force

But before that, check your hard drive space left.
$ df -h
or
$ df -i
>>
>>58129246
Doesn't it generate it though?

Sorry just trying to understand since seems redundant.
>>
>>58129265
Don't pay attention to that poster, he's not got a clue what he's talking about. I believe he's trying to mislead you, which is very discourteous.
>>
Should I use screen or tmux? I can't decide for myself.
>>
>>58129275
Doesn't seem like he's trying to, I ran it anyway but it just seems redundant.

How do I unmount the shit I mounted again? ;-; I always forget how it works
>>
>>58129281
screen b/c GNU is love
>>
File: file.png (113KB, 681x619px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
113KB, 681x619px
>>58129281
Taken from http://superuser.com/questions/236158/tmux-vs-screen
>>58129298
$ sudo umount /[directory]
(presuming sudo is needed)
>>
>>58129310
So where the hell did I mount to

I can't seem to find it to unmount
>>
>>58129310
Basically how I exit chroot now

I did 'exit' but is there anything else to do
>>
>>58129255
Kubuntu best for beginner with Kde?
>>
>>58129381
Systemd will automatically unmount everything, just reboot now.
>>
>>58129396
I personally have no experience with Kubuntu. I do however have experience with stock Ubuntu, and I can say it has a heck ton more issues than something like Arch-Anywhere. (Arch of course, but Arch-Anywhere is easy for beginners.)
You could go for Arch-Anywhere and strap KDE onto it, as a DE. Just give yourself enough hard drive space to work with, y'know?

As a sidenote, I've been thinking about having hard drives partitioned exclusively to mount desktop environments and window managers. Or maybe a single large hard drive with every single one on it, and a script to cycle-mount the different partitions on the drive to a folder where the system grabs the WM/DEs from to use. It'd take a lot of scripting to make it work though.

>>58129328
Did you not mount to /mnt and /mnt/boot?

>>58129381
As >>58129422 said, reboot. If you have any issues, you can always ask us for more troubleshooting. Google, too, is your friend-- or startpage, or whatever else you may use for a search engine.
>>
>>58129422
Can't tell if this is b8 or troll but it seems to have worked.

>>58129433
Seems to be working but holy fuck the screen is dark as hell for some reason
>>
wow arch has now a security tracker!
https://security.archlinux.org/
>>
>>58129433
Welp looks like it fucked my shit up

Everything is missing except background lol
>>
>>58129445
$ cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness

See the value, that is the max. Now,
$ # tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness <<< 5

Alternatively, if you're fed up with root / system / kernel level things, just install xbacklight,
$ pacaur [or yaourt] -S xbacklight
yadda yadda, and use that after startx.

>>58129496
Fug, well... try seeing if your .config dir/files have changed? Maybe the pointers in the files for directories got changed.
>>
>>58129522
Whoops, that's $ not $ #
Polite sage
>>
>>58129522
I have a feeling it had to do with all those .so files being missing...
>>
>>58129542
.so files are shared object files. Also known as a "dynamic link library" for Windows, .dll
I'm not entirely sure, though... I doubt configs are linked to .so files missing.
What missing .so files would do, is prevent things from actually starting up, throwing errors, missing file errors, you know.
Which, I thought pacman -Syu would refetch those files completely, as it's a full upgrade, but... hm.
>>
does arch really break that often?
why is /g/ shilling it then?
>>
>>58129575
arch is straight up trash. i don't shill anything but ubuntu and gentoo.
>>
>>58129564
Ok it's like /usr/lib/libxfce4panel-1.0.so is empty, not checked

/usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so is empty, not checked

Etc etc. How fix?
>>
>>58129601
>>58129575
Can it be shilling when you don't get payed?
>>
>>58114991
What do you guys use to monitor cpu, gpu, hdd temperatures? On windows i used msi afterburner, but i dont know what's the best thing here, since i'm quite new with linux, ubuntu to be exact
>>
>>58129564
Ok what the actual fuck

It boots up fine, everything works but can't open terminal and panel is missing. How is this even possible? Xfce fucked up?
>>
>>58129625
learn the local language before posting, redditor.
>>
>>58129639
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
>>
>>58129656
What is the local language?
>>
>>58129575
For certain systems, it breaks often.
I use a Latitude e6410 for my Arch setup. I've also got a vm running init off the Arch-Anywhere script, and I quite like it more than my laptop's setup. Have been considering porting over my dotfiles and programs, but haven't quite made the jump yet.

I've been using Arch on my laptop for about 3 years now, if I recall correctly, and have not come across any system breaking updates. The only thing wrong that happened was an accidental full rm -rf that I shut down almost immediately and managed to recover every bit of data lost with no duplication or loss, since I was prepared for something like that happening.

That said, I think Arch just has compatibility issues, based on what I've seen- sole anecdotal evidence.

>>58129605
Script time!
[pacrecover.sh]
pacrecover
#!/bin/bash -e

. /etc/makepkg.conf

PKGCACHE=$((grep -m 1 '^CacheDir' /etc/pacman.conf || echo 'CacheDir = /var/cache/pacman/pkg') | sed 's/CacheDir = //')

pkgdirs=("$@" "$PKGDEST" "$PKGCACHE")

while read -r -a parampart; do
pkgname="${parampart[0]}-${parampart[1]}-*.pkg.tar.xz"
for pkgdir in ${pkgdirs[@]}; do
pkgpath="$pkgdir"/$pkgname
[ -f $pkgpath ] && { echo $pkgpath; break; };
done || echo ${parampart[0]} 1>&2
done

And then
$ paclog-pkglist /var/log/pacman.log | ./pacrecover >files.list 2>pkglist.orig

Aaaand

$ comm -23 <(pacman -Sgq base) pkglist.orig >> pkglist

Then, go to .bashrc (wherever that may be, or your .zshrc, if you are using zsh) then put this in, its an alias:
 recovery-pacman() {
sudo pacman "$@" \
--log /dev/null \
--noscriptlet \
--dbonly \
--force \
--nodeps \
--needed
}

Blah blah,
$ pacman -Sy

$ recovery-pacman -U $(< files.list)

$ recovery-pacman -S $(< pkglist)

$ pacman -D --asdeps $(pacman -Qq)
$ pacman -D --asexplicit $(pacman -Qtq)

-Qk end.
>>
>>58129703
it's just a dialect of English so you should have no problem learning it if you already know English (American, Australian or the mongrel european one will do just fine)
>>
File: 1481687603361.gif (1MB, 225x157px) Image search: [Google]
1481687603361.gif
1MB, 225x157px
>>58129714
>>
>>58114991
>Excuse me while I just plop my fat-ass self in the middle of a narrow walk-away

Remind me to do my next thesis on an escalator
>>
>>58129737
For the future, add
IgnorePkg   = linux
to /etc/pacman.conf

Never worry about kernel catastrophes again!
>>
>>58129687
Thanks
>>
>>58129778
Also run
sudo sensors-detect

otherwise it will detect just standard temps.
Run it with: sensors
>>
>>58129714
W-w-what does it do

How do I fix my de and terminal somehow not appearing?
>>
>>58129823
Okay, first, do
$pacman -Q
and post the results.
Err.. you may have to CTRL+ALT+F1[or F4] to grab a terminal.
>>
>>58129838
But it's weird

Like i can right click and open file manager thing. what the heck could that even be...
>>
File: 1480921136532.jpg (106KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480921136532.jpg
106KB, 1280x960px
>wake up in the morning
>type password
>screen locked
>try again
>screen locked
>5 minutes later, got an idea
>log into tty, killall i3lock
>switch back to desktop
Holy shit I'm such a hacker.
>>
>>58129931
(Are there simliar simple screen lockers like i3lock which don't freeze somehow?)
>>
what is the best linux distro
>>
>>58129969
>>
>>58129957
xlock
>>
>>58129969
Honestly probably slackware. I'd use it if I wasn't so invested in m ycurrent install. I guess I could buy an external hard drive and back up but I don't really want to.
>>
>>58129969
>>
>>58130002
What's good about it? Should I try it if I'm running gentoo?
>>
>studying Data Science starting next year
>had a look around and for classes will be programming in Python and also using R
>did a bit of research and most of the Data Science work in Python is done using pandas, numpy, matplotlib packages

Will there be any clear advantage of a particular distro/family of distros in reference to this type of work/development? e.g. most updated packages, most stable environment, industry standard/continuity, etc, etc. Or like most things is it just preference and they all mostly achieve the same result in similar ways?

Thinking of just installing Debian and probably using i3 as my wm, seems like it'll be productive.

Also, I'm pretty much a complete beginner when it comes to programming and have heard that Python is a good beginner language (convenient), is there any particular IDE I should be using or should I just be using Vim?
>>
>>58118797
ironically using it
>>
>>58130141
there's no such thing
>>
>>58130057
It just works very well and is very stable. If you need newer packages don't bother. Gentoo is good too.
>>
Hey, setting up the base of arch with pacstrap and it recommends I install all of it but only lets me input a single number (1-25). What do I do to get all of em?
>>
>>58130203
Just press enter, it will default to all.
>>
>>58129838
>>58129914
Please reply
>>
>>58130090
pls reply to me too pls
>>
>>58130464

You should probably learn redhat/fedora if you want employability knowledge.

Python is for scrubs, learn C.

Just learn vim. IDE are for scrubs.
>>
>>58129838
OK THIS IS F U C K E D

I can't even open terminal. When I try to open tty terminal znd login it just closes even when I enter right pw. What the hell is this.. ..
>>
>>58130609
>You should probably learn redhat/fedora if you want employability knowledge.
how does it makes a difference here, it's just the package manager that's different
>>
>>58130625
You're right, it doesn't matter much. But it still looks best on a resume.
>>
What is you guys' favorite desktop environments?

I have been using the i3 WM on my laptop for a while, and it has worked great.

I plan on installing debian on my desktop now, and I'd prefer a more mouse-centric UI.

KDE, Gnome 3, MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE, or something completely different?

I would also prefer the DE to minimize screen tearing.
>>
>>58130649
BSPWM is a tiling window manager with great mouse controls ( can resize EVERYTHING with the mouse and switch tiles with the mouse) It's god tier.
>>
>>58130664
I'll look into it, thanks.

Could you give any tips on setting up window compositing to get rid of tearing?

I never got compton set up correctly on my laptop
>>
>>58130684
install compton and add
compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc &
to your .xinitrc file
>>
>>58130649
Try them all. Choose the best.
>>
>>58130634
>But it still looks best on a resume.
granted
>>
>>58130699
Excuse my autism, but why "&"?
There is already -b | --daemon.
>>
>>58130699
Thanks!
>>
File: 4L_XRkaNN2y.jpg (36KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
4L_XRkaNN2y.jpg
36KB, 400x386px
Pls someone help me. I desperately need assistance.

I beg of you.
>>
:/ new thread >>58130728
>>
>>58130609
>Python is for scrubs, learn C.
this. python is absolute shite, especially as your first language
>>
>>58123211
sudo ncdu -x /
>>
>>58128937
chroot in, reinstall the "linux" package
your kernel image is corrupt
>>
>>58131260
Did bro. Now got a whole new problem.

Terminal and de don't work
>>
>>58131277
yea, i've been catch-up reading the thread as i just woke up

your machine had a power loss while updating, right? you probably got a bit of filesystem corruption

just reinstall anything that gives errors
for example, for;
/usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so is empty, not checked

first find out which package 'owns' that file with;
% pacman -Ql | grep /usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so
pcre2 /usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so
pcre2 /usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so.1
pcre2 /usr/lib/libpcre2-posix.so.1.0.0

then reinstall it;
pacman -S pcre2
>>
>>58131321
It's like 15-20 things haha, do it for all?

Do you have any idea why my terminal is superfucked? Like I can't open it at all when booted in

Thanks man.
>>
>>58131334
>It's like 15-20 things haha, do it for all?
yep
you could just run something that reinstalls everything, i suppose

>>58131334
>Do you have any idea why my terminal is superfucked? Like I can't open it at all when booted in
probably because of one of the corrupted files
>>
>>58131334
>>58131345
aforementioned "something that reinstalls everything"
% for i in $(pacman -Qq); do sudo pacman -S --noconfirm "$i"; done

might not be the best method, but should do the trick
>>
>>58131345
Tfw I'm without internet right now and will only have like 16 hours from now

Thanks anyway man! Ill try it tomro.

Trying to learn this gnu/linux thing :) wish I was less retarded.

Btw how to easily backup all my shit up if lets say I want to reinstall system? What is the important configs I need
>>
>>58131345
Btw it before said the files already existed in filesystem. I should just delete them and reinstall right?
>>
>>58131393
if i was to do a reinstall in your situation, i would backup just /etc and a generate a list of explicitly installed programs
tar czf /media/backup/etc.tgz -C /etc .
pacman -Qeq > /media/backup/package\ list.txt

these will get you back to where you were pretty quick
i would recommend restoring only what you need from /etc

>>58131427
remove that package beforehand
pacman -Rdd <package>

there is also --force, but that should always be a last resort
>>
>>58131476
I want to backup my configurations though

Like dotfiles, bashrc, aliases etc

>remove that package
should I just delete the files instead that are causing conflict. I think I read somewhere to do that
>>
>>58131513
>Like dotfiles, bashrc, aliases etc
you don't use a seperate /home?
you can either just delete everything except the /home folder, or back that up as well
tar czf /media/backup/home.tgz -C /home .

>should I just delete the files instead that are causing conflict. I think I read somewhere to do that
you could, though removing the package should also remove those files
keep in mind you should understand what you're doing before touching anything outside of your home folder manually
>>
>>58131610
Okay thank you

I do use /home

Should I make scripts and upload them to a. Github so I can easily set a system up if I need to?
>>
>>58131639
>Should I make scripts and upload them to a. Github so I can easily set a system up if I need to?
i'm not sure what you mean
>>
>>58131655
Like scripts of my favorite programs and setups so I can easily just run them to setup system how I like it in the future
>>
>>58131740
you could do that

i actually used to do that when i used to use windows, i would integrate programs and modify the registry hives on the installation cd so i would already be preconfigured after installing
i considered doing the same with linux, but i found there's no need to, i never have a reason to reinstall, and setting up a new system is as simple as copying the relevant dotfiles across

like, i want htop on my vps to be configured the same as on my desktop?
scp ~/.config/htop/htoprc server:/home/user/.config/htop/htoprc

done

you can do similar with windows, yes, but it's complicated in various ways, programs like firefox are easy to move their data over, but others that use the registry and mulitple locations can be complicated
not to mention system settings are all buried in the registry, and difficult to remember where, making scripts a better idea
>>
>>58131818
Oh ok

I just never made use of a single script in one year of using gnu/linux so I wanted to learn what cool and handy things I can do with them
>>
>>58131834
you'll find something eventually

i played with linux starting in 2004, but only seriously looked at it from ~2009-2010, pretty much had switched entirely by 2010
i can say i didn't make any scripts before 2009, in linux at least

my experience might not be comparable though, i was writing simple scripts in dos/windows before messing with linux

the thing about scripts is that they're only helpful for repetitive tasks, and you only start repeating tasks once you get familiar with things, before that point you're mostly just trying new things
>>
>>58131889
Idk dude maybe I'm just dumb but I use Gnu/Linux like Windows.

Literally feel no difference. Been using it exclusively for a year and it's pretty much same for me.

Idk how to make use of the features.
>>
>>58131915
hmm, i understand your situation, you haven't done anything different, so you're concerned you're missing out on some things, right?

i'm not really sure what to suggest, i was fucking around with things that aren't exposed while in windows as well, linux just has more fucking around room, and is easier to fuck around with

just try to think of something you think would be nice to be able to do, and research how to go about doing it
>>
>>58131988
I got no clue ;-;

I don't know the power so I'm not even sure what would be interesting to do.
>>
>>58131915
>>58131988
oh, perhaps one thing to look at are any graphics tools you use for tasks that aren't inherently graphical (that is, you're not drawing a picture or something)
there's probably a command or script that can do the same thing

like, want to convert every png file in a folder to jpeg? no need to open the gimp for that, just;
for i in *.png; do imagemagick "$i" -quality 98 "${i%.png}.jpg; done
>>
>>58132091
>graphics tools
graphical*
>}.jpg;
}.jpg";
>>
>>58132091
Neat actually, sweet senpai
>>
>>58132116
-- then you might notice, hang on, that only does one at a time, i have a multi-core cpu, wouldn't it be better if it converted an image on each cpu, so it completed faster?
% parallel -j$(nproc) convert "{}" -quality 98 "{.}.jpg" ::: *.png

(should have written 'convert' instead of 'imagemagick' before, too, it's part of imagemagick... i just woke up)
>>
>>58132243
Where can I learn more about this

And should I write or save it somewhere? I have bad memory.
>>
>>58132264
>Where can I learn more about this
here are relevant texts on what i've used in those examples;
"for": https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/bash-for-loop/
"*": http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/globbingref.html
"convert": https://imagemagick.org/script/convert.php
"${x%x}": http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/string-manipulation.html
"parallel": https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/parallel_tutorial.html
"$(x)": https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Command-Substitution.html
"nproc": http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/nproc.1.html

>And should I write or save it somewhere? I have bad memory.
you can add snippets like these as functions in your shell configuration file, so they can be called upon by a custom name from anywhere, for example, in ~/.bashrc;
function pngtojpeg {
for i in *.png; do imagemagick "$i" -quality 98 "${i%.png}.jpg; done
}

then run "source ~/.bashrc" or open a new terminal, and you can run "pngtojpeg" and it will run that function
>>
>>58132376
Thanks senpai
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.