[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing as everything spies on you these days in what way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: exY7h2Z2BUYML95suQv4MM.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
exY7h2Z2BUYML95suQv4MM.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
Seeing as everything spies on you these days in what way does this spy on you?
>>
It scans your files, so it can """"""""""detect cheats in the games that you play""""""""""

But that's really speculation. Nobody really knows. But you should believe me anyways, as I'm a random stranger on the Internet and nobody lies on the Internet
>>
>>58108174
scans your browser cache to see if you've been to the "purchase completed" page for any VAC protected game hacks and bans you if it finds it.
>>
>>58108174
The things you should mostly stay away from are "free" services. Valve has a clear profit model, so they shouldn't need to spy on you.
>>
It checks to see if I have the same map installed as the server I'm connecting to. If I don't, it downloads it without my permission

Sinister
>>
I've read before that Steam is one of the most profitable private companies in the world.

Does anyone know if there's any hard proof available that backs up those claims?

Googling doesn't provide much info than some articles from 2009-2011 which state Valve is worth close to $5 billion and makes $400-600 million a year. They also say Valve's profits and revenues have been doubling almost every year so I'd be interested to know if there's any new information about their value or earnings.
>>
>>58108174
It knows what games you buy and then never play.
>>
sells your information to game developers
>>
>>58108174
If Steam was FLOSS, wouldn't that just make it vulnerable to hackers?
>>
>>58111462
If Steam was floss why would hackers want any of their information?

Have you ever heard of Colgate getting hacked?
>>
>>58111484
But isn't there more of an incentive for people to hack Steam because of the user accounts being more valuable than accounts of other websites?
>>
>>58111351

>I haven't even launched dragons dogma

I am slightly ashamed
>>
>>58111556
Not really.

Even if you're able to steal someone's account you won't get any of their financial information and recovering a stolen Steam account is relatively simple unless the person hijacked your email as well.

I think Steam requires you to use their Steam Guard thing now too which requires the person to either have access to one of your 'registered' mobile devices or your email account to even log on to your Steam account and if someone has it out for you so hard that they've gotten both your email and Steam login info you've probably got bigger worries than just whether you're going to lose some games.
>>
>>58111806
If Steam was FLOSS though, somebody would know how these features work, therefore they would be able to bypass them.
>>
>>58111886
Aren't programs like KeePass FLOSS?

As far as I know it's still trustworthy and there are no publicized methods of hacking into it yet.
>>
>>58111886
the thing with FLOSS is that usually people who care enough about the software to find such vulnerabilities usually like the software enough to report the bug to an security team, while people hacking closed source/proprietary software usually do it so they can mess with the developers who do such a poor job securing their software ,and trying to hide such flaws behind a closed source. Unless they just want to earn cash , but there are better ways than trying to steal someones account , for example hacking payment information databases.
>>
>>58111427
Game dev here, I wish. Some better analytics would be nice. Hardware survey is a good start tho
>>
>>58109235
Source?
>>
>>58112238
I tried googling a bit and couldn't find any info on that happening.

I have seen some people claim that Valve does do what
>>58109225
claims though but no one has any actual evidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if they check the names of the folders/programs you have open when you're playing VAC enabled games though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.