[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to improve graphics performance of a VM, besides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: vmware.jpg (113KB, 1028x782px) Image search: [Google]
vmware.jpg
113KB, 1028x782px
Is there any way to improve graphics performance of a VM, besides disabling DWM/Aero of the host (which isn't possible in W10)?
>>
Depends really what you want it for and what your hardware/ software setup is.

With a Linux host you can have full 3d/ 2d acceleration via virgl (currently only Linux guest support)

Intel GVT-g just hit mainline, this allows Intel GPU virtualization much in similar way the CPU is handled currently, this supports any guest that has Intel drivers.

If you have multiple GPUs, you can use vfio to passthough one of them into the VM for native graphics performance.

Even without these fancy new technologies, virt-manager defaults to using the spice protocol, which has 2d acceleration on both windows and Linux guests.

I have no idea about windows hosts, windows is pure trash.
>>
File: freebsd-logo-full.png (36KB, 485x175px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd-logo-full.png
36KB, 485x175px
>>58105809
>linuxbabby talking about pure trash

lmao
>>
>>58105839
Freebsd has absolute trash virtualization, not that anything works anyway, so I guess it fits in with the rest of the feature set.
>>
>>58105839
Oh speaking of trash you can see the man page of trash here
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bhyve&sektion=8
>>
>>58105809
OP specifically asked for Windows hosts you illiterate manchild.
No need to spread out your off-topic unadulterated linux autism ITT, nobody asked for it.
Goddamn you linux fags are pathetic.

And yeah, Win 10 is pure shit.
>>
>>58105953
*posts nothing relevant to the topic*
*complains about exactly this*

There is no way of improving graphics with windows hypervisors, choose between an old implementation of dx9 guest drivers from VMware or shitty performance of oracle.

Meanwhile Linux is the forefront of virtualization technology, I only offered my advice to OP if performance requirements are greater than the need for a windows implementation.
>>
>>58105586
>can't disable DWM on 10

Technically you can but it's a big hack.

To get the Classic theme you have to kill the ThemeSection handle from Winlogon.exe
To disable DWM you have to kill app-related processes and Windows Explorer, then suspend winlogon and kill dwm.exe.

You can then restart explorer, but various stuff gets broken (ie: Start menu doesn't work, Metro apps fail to render), which is to take into consideration since you wouldn't be able to use the godawful Metro Control Panel.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.