[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/ my whole life I've been using Windows and I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (64KB, 355x414px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
64KB, 355x414px
So /g/ my whole life I've been using Windows and I really want to make the jump to Linux however I still want to be able to play all my vidyas that I play on Windows. What I'm wondering is if WINE is any good for doing this (Playing Windows only games on Linux) I've read about it and there seems to be issues with Direct X and Microsoft.NET so I'm wondering if it's even worth it or if there are ways to fix the issues if I encounter them.
>>
>>58104993
GPU Pass-through

Look it up
>>
>>58104993
Why would you need linux if you play vidya?
Intall it on vm if you just wanna play.
>>
>>58105014
Thanks I will.
>>58105016
I would but I don't wanna have to deal with that sort of stuff I just wanna run it in a native Linux environment.
>>
I personally just keep a 100GB Windows partition in case I run into a game I can't play using Wine and which I care about playing that much. It's practically unused since I don't play games very much, but transferring torrented games there is as simple as mounting the partition to /mnt and moving the installer to the desktop and then rebooting to it.
>>
>>58105190
What kind of problems do you have with WINE and do you get them often? Oh yeah and does anyone here run Arma 3 or GTA V on Linux? I'm wondering how well it works.
>>
>>58104993
I don't know if I'd just 'jump' to Linux without testing it out. If you are serious about using it, I recommend running 2 separate hard drives and dedicating one to Linux. Keep Windows around for now. The reason I say this is because not everyone ends up liking it. Then again, it may be the best OS you've ever used.
>>
Linux is only useful for serving up web pages on the cheap, or selling web hosting on the cheap.

Shit, even filesharing uses the gimped out SAMBA which is inferior to plain old windows server with active directory.

What would you expect from a 40 year old design where the only innovation is copying other systems. (cups+samba, samba, open directory, kerberos, etc).

Linux isn't even useful as a platform for business communications--there is nothing on it like outlook server--and this is a dead basic requirement for the enterprise.

There is no unified authentication for remote users either. You're stuck with a mishmash or kerberos, opendirectory, or maybe even radius thrown in the mix. Totally unacceptable.

Most UNIX innovation was done on Solaris, and their best tools aren't even available on Linux --(dtrace and zfs)--and now that Linux has eaten solaris' lunch, expect no future unix innovation.

Every other use case is better served by a desktop OS. Use windows or buy a mac. Don't be stupid.
>>
>>58104993
use dualboot also >>>/t/707928
>>
>>58104993
add me on steam if you want me to help you after you transition
http://steamcommunity.com/id/managor/
>>
>>58104993
I love Linux, but Wine does not work most of the time. I have gotten it to work ONCE, lots of software that it says would work do not work at all. And the whole thing is confusing and shitty.

There are thousands of linux games on steam and elsewhere.

But you should try Linux, you will learn a lot and it's a superior OS that treats you like an adult. It won't do anything that you don't want it to do. You get full control over your own computer.
>>
File: 1482323136714.jpg (495KB, 1062x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1482323136714.jpg
495KB, 1062x1062px
>>58107970
Still available for chat if you have the need.
>>
File: 1456868307844.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1456868307844.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>58104993
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58108242

Not OP, but I'm going to save your info for later.

I'm currently trying to get up and running for games on Kubuntu 16.10 with a new desktop build (i7 6700k, GTX 1080) and it's been an exercise in frustration.

I'm going to try to get steam installed tonight and I'll message you when I get it working.
>>
>>58108476
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.